Gibson Brands Forums

A Kalamazoo KG-14 style reissue made by Collings?

bayoubengal1954

My local dealer was just telling me about these - they have two on the way! Very intrigued to try one out, though I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole thing. I wish there was more originality in there somewhere. The "non adjustable T-bar" is an interesting decision.

Regardless, I want to play one!

My local dealer was just telling me about these - they have two on the way! Very intrigued to try one out, though I'm not quite sure how I feel about the whole thing. I kind of wish there was at least a hint of originality in there somewhere...

Good point, but I do like the idea of a "more affordable" Collings!

Good point, but I do like the idea of a "more affordable" Collings!

Yes, I'm on the same page with you there! It's so nice to see this affordable-ish high quality thing getting attention... the J-15's, American Eagles, etc. I could see these being another great option at that price point.

This seems to be following in the trend of "recreating" el cheapo guitars of the 1930s and selling them in the $2000+ range. There are several guys out there "reproducing" guitars like those Oscar Schmidt gave away free when you purchased his mail order music lessons. The new versions I have played though are beautiful instruments which do capture the sound and vibe of the originals while doing away with all of the structural issues these guitars tend to develop such as buckling tops due to the lack of any bracing around the soundhole.

I blame it all on the blues craze with folks wanting to get their hands on the same guitars the guys in the 1920s and 1930s played without having to deal with any of the problems you often encounter with the originals. So I can see the point of buying a new version but what will always be there in the back of my mind is for less than $2K I can also buy an original Kalamazoo KG-14 and have it fully restored if need be.

This seems to be following in the trend of "recreating" el cheapo guitars of the 1930s and selling them in the $2000+ range. There are several guys out there "reproducing" guitars like those Oscar Schmidt gave away free when you purchased his mail order music lessons. The new versions I have played though are beautiful instruments which do capture the sound and vibe of the originals while doing away with all of the structural issues these guitars tend to develop such as buckling tops due to the lack of any bracing around the soundhole.

I blame it all on the blues craze with folks wanting to get their hands on the same guitars the guys in the 1920s and 1930s played without having to deal with any of the problems you often encounter with the originals. So I can see the point of buying a new version but what will always be there in the back of my mind is for less than $2K I can also buy an original Kalamazoo KG-14 and have it fully restored if need be.

I hear ya Z, but I'm finding that many sellers are looking for around $2000 for the originals anyway. Maybe they had already done the work needed.

https://reverb.com/item/50066-kalamazoo-kg-14-1938-sunburst

There is one for $900 that might fit in to the scenario you describe, though. I still would like to play one of the Waterloos for grins.

Fretboard Journal just posted a vid showing both the ladder-braced and X braced versions, sorry but I cannot post the link - apparently I have some sort of "Safety" engaged. Thet ladder-braced number really is intriguing. Unless I can talk my son into letting me get the neck re-set and some other work done on his early 50s LG-1, one of these might be an interesting add. Maybe motivate learning some blues.

Fretboard Journal just posted a vid showing both the ladder-braced and X braced versions, sorry but I cannot post the link - apparently I have some sort of "Safety" engaged. Thet ladder-braced number really is intriguing. Unless I can talk my son into letting me get the neck re-set and some other work done on his early 50s LG-1, one of these might be an interesting add. Maybe motivate learning some blues.

Maybe this will work, Dan. Let me know!

The old Kay Kraft "Venetians" came with both X bracing and ladder bracing. Many of us found we liked the ladder braced version better. Maybe it was the quicker note decay but they just have a more immediate and raw sound.

The older I get though and the more guitars that pass through my hands while I still love my Gibson short scale I have started to gain a real appreciation of smaller body guitars (15" and less lower bouts) with a longer scale. The tension created by the longer scale seems to turbo charge the tops giving the guitars a lot of bark and bite and enabling them to cut through no matter what other instruments are up there with you.

The old Kay Kraft "Venetians" came with both X bracing and ladder bracing. Many of us found we liked the ladder braced version better. Maybe it was the quicker note decay but they just have a more immediate and raw sound.

The older I get though and the more guitars that pass through my hands while I still love my Gibson short scale I have started to gain a real appreciation of smaller body guitars (15" and less lower bouts) with a longer scale. The tension created by the longer scale seems to turbo charge the tops giving the guitars a lot of bark and bite and enabling them to cut through no matter what other instruments are up there with you.

+1

• 4 months later...

I picked up a Waterloo (Ladder Braced with Truss Rod #070) just before Christmas and I'm loving it! My concerns over the neck turned out to be unfounded and my hands are are not very big. I'm surprised how great it sounds when using a pick (at least to me) as well as using my fingers. I thought I would pretty much only finger pick when playing it, but that has not turned out to be the case.

Playing some blues on that beautiful Legend of yours would do, DD!

That said, I love my LG1 ladder braced for slide, and I love it even more since I got a new bridge (ebony) with bone saddle. It has settled in and I should try and make another recording, but the slide sound with bone and ladder bracing just 'pierces' if that can describe it..... One reason we like the ladder bracing for fingerpicking blues is that it has low decay to the notes, so right hand damping isn't as critical.

And the Waterloo has a great video review on Eddies Guitar videos if anyone wants to see.

BluesKing777.

I hear ya Z, but I'm finding that many sellers are looking for around $2000 for the originals anyway. Maybe they had already done the work needed.

https://reverb.com/item/50066-kalamazoo-kg-14-1938-sunburstn

Exactly. And frankly, I really dont see the difference between spending2k for one of these as opposed to laying down 7k for a D28 authentic (origianls went for what? $145?). Ok--there's a price differential. An average joe might be able to scrape up for a KG14 (though he might have to fork out for the net reset) or what have you while you need to be rich as Rockefeller (or a pal of Johnny Cash ala Marty Stuart) to snag a vintage '28. Other than that, same difference. But the way you put it, it makes it sound like a ripoff, but isn't it just what its more like what it costs to build guitars these days? Plus, builders like Todd Cambio and Mike Hauver (stella copies) or companies like NRP (Nationals) arent making wannabe look alikes. They dig the old gutiars and are getting the sounds. And not getting rich on it, especially. Maybe think of these as tributes and it might sit better. Cheers.

Plus, builders like Todd Cambio and Mike Hauver (stella copies) or companies like NRP (Nationals) arent making wannabe look alikes. And guys like Todd and Mike arent getting rich with it. They dig the old gutiars and are building with care and affection. Maybe think of these as tributes and it might sit better.

Do not forget Beard who sells a Goldtone reproduction of the old Kay-made Oahu Tonemaster lap steel. I would say the Recording Kings and some of the others are wannabe look a likes. The are not even in the same ballpark in their design and construction as the old Kay Kraft, Regal, and Gibson-built Recording Kings. Not saying these are "bad" guitars but they are worlds apart in sound from the originals. What they give you is vibe but not the sound. On the other hand, guys like Todd and Mike do copy the original bracing patterns and such and are going to get you right up next to the sound and feel of a Schmidt-made guitar.

The thing that comes into play for me about the Fraulini guitars and such though is you can score the originals for substantially less than the new versions. So it comes down to how much is the prospect of owning an extremely well-built and trouble-free "Stella" worth to you. The 12 string guitars though are a whole other ball game. An original Stella 12 string jumbo in really nice condition can easily hit $8K these days making the repros a downright bargain.

Archived