Gibson Brands Forums

Changing To Extra Light Gauge Strings

gibbyuk

The truss rod will call for an adjustment matching about 30% less string tension.

Changes in intonation are likely to occur but are not easily predictable. Trying will be the only way to find out. To my experience, the main concern would be a blank G3rd tending to make fretted notes going sharp.

Hope this helps.

Who knows what your ear will like, so any experimentation is OK. The feel will be affected, of course, as it will be easier to work, but you shouldn't need any other adjustments. The guitar is designed to perform with the heavier gauge so check out the difference and decide for yourself.

It won't effect intonation but may affect it.

BTW, I tried extra lights on my J-35 in DADGAD and it sounded good with no intonation issues and no need for a truss rod adjustment. But I still prefer Martin Retro lights. The extra lights sounded just a bit too thin when playing capoed on the higher frets.

Here's a good video comparing four different gauge strings on the same J-45.

DC

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great video. My take on it, if you have more than one guitar, is that you can put extra lights on your couch guitar and you won't be giving up much in tone or volume as you aren't trying to project to any listener much besides yourself. That's what I do with my Recording King RNJ-25 as my easy-on-the-fingers guitar for the night after the night of jamming for five hours. One of the guys I play with has an early 1960's B-25 that he keeps strung with extra lights that he plugs in when we decide to declare an "electric night" so that he can easily do string bends (talk about a blues guitar!). And all he has to do to increase volume is turn a little dial on his Taylor guitar cable that has the volume knob(a great piece of gear IMO). Other than that I string everything else with light gauge EJ16's and feel that they work great for un-amplified ensemble playing. I don't play bluegrass though and I don't find myself playing with a banjo present that makes me wish for mediums. But, to each their own.

E-minor7 says,"The logic is that the lesser tension would bring the neck forward (more up-bow), thus create higher action."

Lessening the tension will REDUCE the pull on the neck, which will reduce the up-bow, creating a LOWER action.

You are absolutely correct - lesser tension will make the headstock will glide backwards and create back bow - thus lower action.

Sorry I had this logic wrong (especially as I knew the real circumstance) - will edit post #4.

Thanks

There is another issue with light vs. heavy gauge strings. Besides more tone, volume and what Rambler calls "body" with heavyer strings, there is what your hands get used to and have the strength to play. If you get used to 10s then try to play 12s it's difficult. I use 12s on both my electric and acoustic. On my Joe Pass Epi the 12s give a nice fat jazz tone. My teacher Mimi Foxx plays 13s. Guys like Pat Martino and (I think) Bucky Pizzarelli play 15s. If you listen to Bucky playing Moonglow, each note is like a bell being struck. But you gotta have some serious finger muscles, calluses and crazy good technique to pull that off. B)

Archived