Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Bridge Pin Upgrade?

Lefty55

I recently put a set of the Antique Acoustics pins on the 1965 J-50 that I got a couple months ago. But I wasn't trying to "improve my tone", the guitar still had the original pins and they were really chewed up. The Antique Acoustics are nice, but just plastic pins that don't seem different from the original pins on my 2008 J-50.

I didn't notice any difference in sound. Why would one set of plastic pins sound different from another?

I replaced mine with the Antique Acoustics, purchased from Elderly. Just get the ones called "Various models - 1946-1970's". They fit my 2007 J-45 Standard perfectly and look very nice.

Thanks. I was hoping there was a set of AA's that would fit the J-45.

Forgot to ask, slotted or unslotted. I can't tell as I haven't had the pins out of the guitar yet.

Why would one set of plastic pins sound different from another?

The AA pins are made from Galalith. Not your ordinary plastic. Higher quality more dense material from what I've heard. Sometimes I can detect a difference from one to the other. Sometimes not but, the AA pins sure do look nice. I do know bone always sounds crappy to me.

The AA pins are made from Galalith. Not your ordinary plastic. Higher quality more dense material from what I've heard. Sometimes I can detect a difference from one to the other. Sometimes not but, the AA pins sure do look nice. I do know bone always sounds crappy to me.

Perhaps try a set of solid ebony pins..they come in black, and also abalone tipped, they are slotted and fit my Hummingbird and also my previous 3 Gibsons. ...the 5th and 6th string pins may just need a bit of sanding but toher wise should fit. They are beautifly, classy, solid wood and never wear out, and IMO ..on all my guitar these ebony pins make a difference in sound such as..clarity, open bottom end, and clear clear trebles, with perhaps just a slight increase in volume....at any rate they are cheap and look good and will last a life time for just $15.98 and here they are in this link..the set I used on 27 different guitars....don't forget to first select a pin style, abalone etc... from the drop down box if you order. http://www.musicians...%20pins&index=2

I put red dot pins on my 45,I think they look good with burst

My pins were slotted, I see were you would think they are solid the way Gibson ramps the pin holes

randomphotos031_zps78be0d98.jpg

My word . a pickguard in the right place

I've changed pins a few times . just some I had lying around and if they fitted I stuck them in for a change.

I currently have 3 tusq ones and 3 ebony ones in.

I've noticed no real difference in sound , just looks. Which is as good a reason as any for changing things .

Archived