Gibson Brands Forums

Finally Broke In The Es339 Satin

fromnabulax

Where I live, this is summer and summer is gigging season. I am busy, which us great, but much of it is out of doors. Around these parts weather is usually quite humid and also unpredictable. As such I almost never bring my better guitars to work.

I had been planning on several different Fenders and Epiphones to use last night at a private party, but when the rain started coming down in buckets, the party was moved indoors. That meant I could now use one of the big guns. I decided to celebrate using the 2014 ES339 Satin I had picked up about 6 weeks ago. I had found a couple of the last of the new 2014s were out there for $500.00 less than the comparable 2015s and jumped while I could. Mine is the red satin.

I pulled the beauty out to warm up before gig time, changed the strings on her and played for a couple of hours.

Although in the house for practice I use a Roland Blues Cube, I decided to pack along my Fender Mustang III v2 amp. The rain was simply pounding down in waves, and just the walk from the parking lot to the main house was such that I didn't want to bring a $700.00 amp along.

As I have posted in several places on this forum, I use very few effects. I do have a Fender Mustang Floor unit which I pack from gig to gig so that I can have a consistency of sound, but I primarily use it to set an amp model and add a touch of reverb and delay. Maybe for fun I'll use the wah from time to time, but as I have gotten older have I learned how to love the sound of a completely clean and non distorted and overdriven guitar.

Heck, I don't even use a pick anymore.

Well, on plugging in and from the very first note that ES339 sounded so beautiful that I was honestly stunned. It was gentle and clean and crystal clear when I wanted it to be, and dirty and stinging with just a touch of swagger and nasty when I wanted it to be.

I found my own sweet spot with volume and tone between the two pickups and never needed to touch the controls again all night.

I did everything from urban blues, to country, to jazz, lounge, folk, and just about everything in between with the guitar sounding perfectly appropriate with each selection.

And here's the thing. At no time did it sound or feel like it had its own sound or tone, but rather that it was totally reflecting my own that I have been developing for the last 45 years of playing. It wasn't like this guitar was responsible for my sounding good, but rather that I was playing the perfect instrument for interpreting all that I had to offer in a perfectly responsive way.

I was getting comments all night from folks about just how great I sounded, and these were folks who've been hiring me for years and already knew what I sounded like.

The body size and shape were just right for me, with a neck width and length that offered the perfect amount of range for me.

The comfort level was so perfect for me that it I was surprised when three hours had gone by with no sense of fatigue, and even went another hour beyond that.

By the end of the night I was mighty tired, but also elated by just how amazing this guitar is.

It's true that where there once was a satin finish on the neck is now a bright shiny gloss, but that's no big deal.

I have several other ES guitars from Gibson and Epiphone, as well as several other manufacturers hollow and semi hollows, but this ES339 tops them all.

This is one outstanding instrument.

That's awesome. I've had similar experiences with my new 335, used only in practice at home so far though. Set the tone and volume where you want and let the guitar play itself!

I curious what you mean with the finish on the neck. It was satin, but now it's glossy? Is it getting polished from playing all night? Do you think the top would get glossy if your arm were rubbing on it?

Great post, fromnabulax

I have coveted an ES-339 for awhile now, but I just can't afford to drop that many bones on the thing.

House repairs, medical bills, Veterinary bills, you name it.

My last two guitar purchases have been for used instruments, and even though I love them dearly, I still want an ES-339 some day.

I appreciate your taking the time to express all that you did.

It's awesome when a long-time player finally meets up with the right guitar!!

[tongue]

curious what you mean with the finish on the neck. It was satin, but now it's glossy? Is it getting polished from playing all night? Do you think the top would get glossy if your arm were rubbing on it?

Yes, and yes again. I may actually take a buffing wheel to the entire guitar and gloss it up some time in the future.

• 3 months later...

As I have gotten older I have learned how to love the sound of a completely clean and non distorted and overdriven guitar.

And here's the thing. At no time did it sound or feel like it had its own sound or tone, but rather that it was totally reflecting my own that I have been developing for the last 45 years of playing. It wasn't like this guitar was responsible for my sounding good, but rather that I was playing the perfect instrument for interpreting all that I had to offer in a perfectly responsive way.

I was getting comments all night from folks about just how great I sounded.

The body size and shape were just right for me, with a neck width and length that offered the perfect amount of range for me.

This is one outstanding instrument.

Great review. Glad you are enjoying your 339 so much. Sounds like me gushing about my ES137 Classic. It's also an outstanding instrument, and it has a way of bringing out my best playing.

Archived