Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for suggestions

I have a DP-03 Portastudio; I find it very user unfriendly and (admitting that I'm old and not very tech inclined) and I think the manual is extremely confusing. Since I don't use it very much I sort of have to relearn everything I knew about it (which ain't much) every time I do try to use it.

I'd like to find an easy to use, self contained portable unit (built in mic, etc.) that I could use to record myself now and then, or whip out when someone is playing something I'd like to keep. Doesn't need to multi-track, although it'd be OK if it had that capability. Needs the capability to save to CD (somehow) and/or to something like Sundcloud, etc. Doesn't need to be studio quality of course, but I'd like it to produce something I wouldn't be ashamed to post on the occasional website, etc. Not looking to spend a lot of money either (I don't want much, huh?).

Something better than propping a cell phone up in front of me. Any suggestions? Thanks...

I'd like to find an easy to use, self contained portable unit (built in mic, etc.) that I could use to record myself now and then, or whip out when someone is playing something I'd like to keep.

You might look at a Tascam DR05.....

• 6 months later...

My situation also...

My question is does the Tascam DR-05 offer any low-tech playback options other than the built-in speaker and headphone jack? Can an external speaker be fed through the headphone input?

That I don't know. I've always just downloaded the .wav file to a computer and played it back from there. The DR05 records quite well. Playback, not so much.

My question is does the Tascam DR-05 offer any low-tech playback options other than the built-in speaker and headphone jack? Can an external speaker be fed through the headphone input?

I use the headphone jack as a line-out to feed into the Line-in of a stereo system or mixing board. The built-in amp will not drive a full size set of speakers, but would probably work with a set of small non-powered computer speakers.

I use the headphone jack as a line-out to feed into the Line-in of a stereo system or mixing board. The built-in amp will not drive a full size set of speakers, but would probably work with a set of small non-powered computer speakers.

I have a Tascam DR 40 and I'm sort of in the same boat. I have to use it more I admit but it has a lot more functions than I will ever use. I picked mine up used, as new, so I guess the last guy had the same problem. The basic functions are very easy to remember after a few uses. I run my headphone line out to Photive Cyren (the cheaper/est one) Bluetooth speaker (line in). Speaker and DR 40 less than $200, can't complain. I promised myself that I would learn how to use it better this winter, but hasn't happened yet. Winter isn't over yet so it could still happen!

Thanks Larry! Just bought the Tascam DP-006 which gives me a few more options. Got it new for $109 with free ship. We'll see if the instruction book makes my head explode.

I take this as encouraging A-phob. I'll play around with it this weekend and listen through headphones until I find a little speaker system that uses RCA-plug. The manual is waaay too thick though...a bad sign.

I just checked the manual and think it's fine.

What puzzles me is that both DR-05 and DP-006 have built-in omnidirectional mics. It came to me as some surprise since I really knew nothing at all about these two recorders before ten minutes ago. In most applications I would prefer cardioids.

Looking it over, Cap, there are mic and guitar quarter-inch inputs. I have both soundhole pickup, electric guitar, and a Shure PG mic setup. I'll try all and hopefully figure out how to connect to drum tracks via my Boss looper. Why? I'm wondering. Fun I guess.

Looking it over, Cap, there are mic and guitar quarter-inch inputs. I have both soundhole pickup, electric guitar, and a Shure PG mic setup. I'll try all and hopefully figure out how to connect to drum tracks via my Boss looper. Why? I'm wondering. Fun I guess.

How is it coming JZ? I haven't been hearing any cussing over there. [cursing]

Tell ya' what a-phob, I think I'll be able to figure out a decent bit of what it can do. I quickly realized I wanted compatible speakers and found cheap used mini's on Ebay, since the headphone option is restrictive and cumbersome for playback. I'll hook the 10 dollar cheapies up and get squared away with basic recording modes, but I'm already looking to upgrade to Logitech Z323 speakers or better, to allow for a subwoof. First I'll fiddle around with the ones I bought for a while.

Two things that slowed me down...one was searching for the erase track mode after I realized the recordings were stacking up and not automatically erasing when taped over like reel to reel or cassette. Also, unless I haven't figured it out yet, the built in mics are always on whether or not you use the standard 1/4" inputs for external sources. The AC adapter which retails for $30 can be found for 8 bucks also on Ebay. Got that too because batteries are a pain.

I spent Saturday hunched over my desk with a magnifying glass reading tiny print, pressing buttons, turning dials, and playing short guitar riffs. Oh, there WAS cursing. Smoking and drinking too. I did get some sinister pleasure, though, out of watching downstate friends and family get the big snow while here in Cooperstown, usually snow country, there wasn't even a flurry. The speakers will make things more fun for sure.

Tell ya' what a-phob, I think I'll be able to figure out a decent bit of what it can do. I quickly realized I wanted compatible speakers and found cheap used mini's on Ebay, since the headphone option is restrictive and cumbersome for playback. I'll hook the 10 dollar cheapies up and get squared away with basic recording modes, but I'm already looking to upgrade to Logitech Z323 speakers or better, to allow for a subwoof. First I'll fiddle around with the ones I bought for a while.

Two things that slowed me down...one was searching for the erase track mode after I realized the recordings were stacking up and not automatically erasing when taped over like reel to reel or cassette. Also, unless I haven't figured it out yet, the built in mics are always on whether or not you use the standard 1/4" inputs for external sources. The AC adapter which retails for $30 can be found for 8 bucks also on Ebay. Got that too because batteries are a pain.

I spent Saturday hunched over my desk with a magnifying glass reading tiny print, pressing buttons, turning dials, and playing short guitar riffs. Oh, there WAS cursing. Smoking and drinking too. I did get some sinister pleasure, though, out of watching downstate friends and family get the big snow while here in Cooperstown, usually snow country, there wasn't even a flurry. The speakers will make things more fun for sure.

Yup, that sounds like the first weekend I spent with mine. I seem to recall that the exterior mics (appear) to stay on w/1/4" inputs on external but you can go to the screen and adjust input levels all the way to 0. At least with the DR40. You may have figured that out by now.

Archived