Gibson Brands Forums

CLEANING UP / BUFFING GOLD HARDWARE

Lunatic

Hi all,

Got this baby that needs cleaning up - pups and bridge are tarnished and have some sort of residue / pitting on them.

I've read somewhere that this is gold plating and if rubbed too hard, the nickel substrate will be exposed. Sure don't want to be doing that.

I'm not expecting to get it back to shiny gold, however was wondering what the best way would be to clean up the surfaces?

Thanks for your help. Cheers

post-74237-073597100 1447033455_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Got this baby that needs cleaning up - pups and bridge are tarnished and have some sort of residue / pitting on them.

I've read somewhere that this is gold plating and if rubbed too hard, the nickel substrate will be exposed. Sure don't want to be doing that.

I'm not expecting to get it back to shiny gold, however was wondering what the best way would be to clean up the surfaces?

Thanks for your help. Cheers

that just look like the beginning stages of the gold plate wearing off from normal playing. Not a lot you can do about that, just wipe it down with a soft cotton cloth and take any oil off. mine did that after about three years of playing it, then by 25 years it looked like this. you could just buy new covers is it bothers you that much.

my%20les%20paul%20custom_zpslgrus34s.jpg

Thanks old guy. All good - doesn't bother me one bit. New covers sound the go. Cheers.

You are a LONG way from needing new covers on that.

It looks to be in excellent, unplayed or barely played condition.

I think what OLDGUY was trying to say, is if and when the covers wear out, THEN you could replace them. Thus, don't worry about it.

But wear them out first...if you are going to play it.

You are a LONG way from needing new covers on that.

It looks to be in excellent, unplayed or barely played condition.

I think what OLDGUY was trying to say, is if and when the covers wear out, THEN you could replace them. Thus, don't worry about it.

But wear them out first...if you are going to play it.

yup, that is exactly what i was saying, you can see how mine were and I never did replace them. to me, it is a sign of a well loved guitar.

Thanks guys. I'm going to leave as is. Patina of age always looks good. It has not been played extensively. Still got the plastic on the pickguard. Admittedly, I do spend a lot of time just gazing on that beautiful bod! Cheers

I had a 1996 Les Paul Studio in ebony black, with the gold bits and pickup covers.

They corroded terribly eventually (I lived on the North Shore of Oahu at one point in all my travels), and I hated the look.

No amount of polish or wax would make them look new again.

I have never seen silver/chrome guitar components do this.

I eventually sold the Les Paul to a local fellow who LOVED it, and he paid me fair Blue Book price for it.

I have sworn off gold-plated guitar components ever since then.

They just don't look good to me now, even brand new.

I'm a silver or black hardware kind of guy now.

[crying]

I own several guitars, with "gold" parts! Gibson "Lucille," my AIUSA Epi Sheraton, 1980 Les Paul Custom,

even a Gibson Les Paul Jr. Lite! Love 'em all..."new" looking, or naturally aged! So, to each his/her

own.

As to cleaning...I use mild "hand (bar) soap" on a slightly "damp" (not WET) 100% Cotton polishing cloth,

or washcloth. Wipe it down, good, after you play it, and use the above when needed?

CB

I'm not particularly fussed about black, silver or gold hardware. For me it's about the whole look. For example, at the risk of being provocative, I don't like the alpine white Customs with gold hardware. Just seems so PIMP. Prefer if it had either silver or black hardware. I reckon black would look awesome on an alpine white bod. Anyway, personal preferences rule. Cheers

Archived