Gibson Brands Forums

Is this the real deal?

ChrisF

I was checking this LP studio 2016 and I saw this, isn't the impression too weak? I mean, there are some letters than you can't read read, literally.

Is this normal or should I be suspicious about this one? It has not been repainted.

VqK4ozM.jpg

Here is the headstock:

WH2ayE8.jpg

It definetely smells like a gibson, but this seems weird.

PS: the serial number is not recognized online, but this doesn't worry me since that also happens with my SG 2016.

The fact it looks like a Gibson with nice thick black paint and SMELLS like it is pretty compelling evidence, don't you think?

That's one aspect the counterfeiters haven't been able to replicate; The SMELL of a new Gibson. Hopefully, they won't get any ideas reading this and figure out how to bottle it.

But if they did, I would where it. Maybe spray it in my truck, too.

Doesn't surprise me. I've never seen a fake studio. Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen one. I've seen Gibson's with unreadable seriL numbers before. Mine has an almost invisible 4 at the end. It's little things they do quickly that they are trying to rush I think. 2016 Gibson stuff doesn't impress me unfortunately.

Nothing to worry about there, it's just thick paint.

I've seen loads of others exactly the same.

Counterfeiters, on the contrary, NEVER (IMX) produce an instrument a hard to read serial number. In fact usually it's so deeply stamped that it's one of the sure-fire signs of a fake.

Pip.

... Is this normal or should I be suspicious about this one? It has not been repainted ...

PS: the serial number is not recognized online...

Not unusual.

Gibson USA changed their serial format in 2014 to YYRRRRRRR and that website hasn't added that formula to their decoder yet.

Nothing to worry about there, it's just thick paint.

I've seen loads of others exactly the same.

Counterfeiters, on the contrary, NEVER (IMX) produce an instrument a hard to read serial number. In fact usually it's so deeply stamped that it's one of the sure-fire signs of a fake.

Pip.

So I shouldn't consider it sign that it has been repainted either?

As far as I know it's not the case, but hey, you never know.

So I shouldn't consider it sign that it has been repainted either?

As far as I know it's not the case, but hey, you never know.

It's common.

Seriously would doubt it's been refinished, especially considering how young it is.

Besides, would it still smell like a Gibson? What are the chances?

It's common.

Seriously would doubt it's been refinished, especially considering how young it is.

Besides, would it still smell like a Gibson? What are the chances?

Now that you mention this theres a question that comes to my mind, does the case help with the smell? I mean, does it come with its own gibson fragrance? It certainly smells like gibson too, I just don't know if it's just because of the guitar.

Now that you mention this theres a question that comes to my mind, does the case help with the smell? I mean, does it come with its own gibson fragrance? It certainly smells like gibson too, I just don't know if it's just because of the guitar.

I actually emailed Gibson about this and this is the reply I got

"While it’s not always standard practice, Gibson USA has actually added vanilla scent in the cases. We have even used leather scent for the Gibson Dark Fire case from 2008-2009."

Looks definitely normal to me. The few of my Gibsons with a solid finish all look alike, except for the GS II Explorer shown as my avatar where it's significantly worse. [biggrin] It doesn't affect playability and tone, so I don't care. [rolleyes]

Most of my Gibsons have transparent finishes. The embossments are legible much better there, albeit not by recessions on top of the finish but by seeing through it.

I actually emailed Gibson about this and this is the reply I got

"While it’s not always standard practice, Gibson USA has actually added vanilla scent in the cases. We have even used leather scent for the Gibson Dark Fire case from 2008-2009."

So...when do we get to buy the official Gibson Air fresheners for the car?

What? You didn't ask?

Archived