Gibson Brands Forums

Done with Gibson

newfiesig

If the problem is static discharge from the surface of the guitar, it would not likely have anything to do with wiring or shielding. Furthermore, if some guitars of a given model and year have it and others don't, and it may come and go over time, it would seem that it may be environmental rather than the instrument itself, so long as there is no difference in finish, materials, etc.

I haven't read every post but if you haven't tried cleaning it with Naphtha as suggested, that's what I would try.

Good luck whatever you do.

I can get rid of the static. I can't keep it from coming back.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks, I'm late joining in on this discussion. Static is not a new problem and it's not specific to Gibsons. The charge has to be coming from somewhere and I don't think it's the guitar.

Newfiesig: You may simply be very unfortunate to be a highly static-electric charged person, highly likely a function of what you wear, what you walk on and the humidity of the rooms you play in. I'd be interested to know if this problem is always at home, in the same environment. A really simple test would be to lend your guitar, for a week, to your best, most trusted guitar pal who has never had static problems like you and see what happens. If your static issue is clearly only with you and at home then it may be something as simple as taking your socks off if you are playing on a carpeted area. You may have to get rid of your favourite sweater. Electric guitars should not generate static electricity; I've got lots and none of them do.

A slight change of topic but something to remind us that we are not all the same and that our guitars may not be to blame; I had a friend who had body oils/sweat that was so acidic that he rusted his guitar strings in just a few hours of playing. I had never seen anything like it; brand new strings turning black as you watched. He had to wash his hands before playing every time or fork out for another set of strings.

Hi folks, I'm late joining in on this discussion. Static is not a new problem and it's not specific to Gibsons. The charge has to be coming from somewhere and I don't think it's the guitar.

Newfiesig: You may simply be very unfortunate to be a highly static-electric charged person, highly likely a function of what you wear, what you walk on and the humidity of the rooms you play in. I'd be interested to know if this problem is always at home, in the same environment. A really simple test would be to lend your guitar, for a week, to your best, most trusted guitar pal who has never had static problems like you and see what happens. If your static issue is clearly only with you and at home then it may be something as simple as taking your socks off if you are playing on a carpeted area. You may have to get rid of your favourite sweater. Electric guitars should not generate static electricity; I've got lots and none of them do.

A slight change of topic but something to remind us that we are not all the same and that our guitars may not be to blame; I had a friend who had body oils/sweat that was so acidic that he rusted his guitar strings in just a few hours of playing. I had never seen anything like it; brand new strings turning black as you watched. He had to wash his hands before playing every time or fork out for another set of strings.

It is the guitar. I've determined this through a lot of experimentation.

Like I said, it's environmental. It's not the guitar. msp_thumbup.gif

For the record, I am happy with this thread being locked and put to bed. I have already decided on another guitar brand that I will be going with and have dismissed Gibson as still being a premier brand (simply my opinion, I hope everyone else has nothing but good experiences with their guitars).

That said, as this is a topic that negatively affects many Gibson owners, I will respond to any questions/comments that others may have on the topic.

Cheers

Archived