Gibson Brands Forums

Done with Gibson

newfiesig

Sounds like you are just done with Gibson and now want to vent. Best of luck to you in the future with your guitar purchases.

That’s exactly right. As well, I wanted to thank those who tried to help before leaving the forum.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG

2 threads same thing!

Have you in school science class taken a glass rod and rubbed it with a fur cloth???

Same thing with your guitar.

The pots have a ground wire running to each other (since this is hard wired).

The pickup grounds (should be braided wire) will be soldered to the back of the pots.

There is a wire going from one of the pots to the Stop Tail stud, which has steel strings touching the TOM, the tuners.

There is a ground wire running to the 1/4" output jack.

Please tell me where the ground fault will be?

Shielding will help with stray a/c hum.

Since we know 2 unlike substances can create a static charge, which will cause a discharge through the ground system, probably ending in noise from the amp.

Since this is a nitro guitar, you don't know what the owner did .

They Probably wanted a shiny guitar and polished the heck out of it with what you don't know.

Clean the darn guitar with naphtha.

Take the strings off.

Take the TOM and stop tail off (of course remembering their direction)

Clean the crud off the surface ofthe guitar .

Naptha is well known for cleaning nitro surfaces.... (dont use it on polly surafaces)

Once you've removed said polish from previous owner (or you)

Restring the guitar and give it a play.

Dont not polish the thing, it will be naturally shiny.

Or sell it and be done with it.

FZ you can get static discharges when playing, just with the guitar rubbing against your shirt. If you run your hand up and down the neck, you'll hear it then too.

In the winter time when it's bone dry up in these parts, it can be pretty annoying. I know what he's talking about. It does go away over time, but it seems that the waiting here is the hardest part. Dryer sheets do help (normally I use it in the dryer first, then on the guitar as needed.)

Speaking of acoustics, they are not 100% out of the running for this. I bought a J200 that had a defective pickup, I should show you the utube vid I sent to sweetwater to illustrate the problem. That was WILD! Sweetwater replaced it immediately.

1527116307[/url]' post='1936924']

That’s exactly right. As well, I wanted to thank those who tried to help before leaving the forum.

A suggestion. Since you are perfurbed beyond belief, and maybe after you try the Lighter fluid fix.....if that doesn’t work, May I suggest that instead of trying to figure out what is wrong, that you just have the Guitar re-wired and shielded. I am figuring it will run in the $200 range. I had a “PRO” install a pick-up on one of my axe’s 20 years ago and this IDIOT ****ED UP THE GUITAR ROYALLY. I finally got around to getting it straightened out, instead of correcting what the IDIOT did wrong, I had a LUTHIER I trusted re-wire the entire Guitar and replace whatever needed to be replaced. Being a vintage Guitar (‘79 SG STANDARD) I had to find “THAT” Luthier, and when I did, I dropped off the Axe, left him alone and three days later the Man called and said I could come get my Guitar. He charged me $180 ,two pots also needed to be changed as well, and I tipped him $20 too.......The Guitar was ACE’s afterwards and the guy told me that just doing a straight-up complete re-wiring of the Guitar was better than trying to figure out what the IDIOT did, even though he figured it out anyway as its not really THAT complicated to begin with.and just for the sake of saying 5his......bring the Guitar to someone other than who you have brought the Guitar to thus far. IMO a Luthier that tells you that they may not be able to get the Guitar to a playable condition, or would not just suggest re-wiring the entire Guitar (and shielding it as well) is not someone I would want working on my Guitar.I sayvthis running on the assertion that the Guitar has simply got to be fixable, its an electronics problem not a catastrophic headstock fracture,yes?

A suggestion. Since you are perfurbed beyond belief, and maybe after you try the Lighter fluid fix.....if that doesn’t work, May I suggest that instead of trying to figure out what is wrong, that you just have the Guitar re-wired and shielded. I am figuring it will run in the $200 range. I had a “PRO” install a pick-up on one of my axe’s 20 years ago and this IDIOT ****ED UP THE GUITAR ROYALLY. I finally got around to getting it straightened out, instead of correcting what the IDIOT did wrong, I had a LUTHIER I trusted re-wire the entire Guitar and replace whatever needed to be replaced. Being a vintage Guitar (‘79 SG STANDARD) I had to find “THAT” Luthier, and when I did, I dropped off the Axe, left him alone and three days later the Man called and said I could come get my Guitar. He charged me $180 ,two pots also needed to be changed as well, and I tipped him $20 too.......The Guitar was ACE’s afterwards and the guy told me that just doing a straight-up complete re-wiring of the Guitar was better than trying to figure out what the IDIOT did, even though he figured it out anyway as its not really THAT complicated to begin with.and just for the sake of saying 5his......bring the Guitar to someone other than who you have brought the Guitar to thus far. IMO a Luthier that tells you that they may not be able to get the Guitar to a playable condition, or would not just suggest re-wiring the entire Guitar (and shielding it as well) is not someone I would want working on my Guitar.I sayvthis running on the assertion that the Guitar has simply got to be fixable, its an electronics problem not a catastrophic headstock fracture,yes?

I am not perturbed beyond belief, I am simply disappointed and have already moved on. I may pay someone to do what Gibson couldn't do (finish building my guitar), but I will still sell it and be done with Gibson.

This is not to say that I am done with guitars in general. I'm not taking my ball and going home. There are a lot of amazing companies out there who put a lot of time and effort in selling top notch instruments. I will be putting the same amount of money in the industry (already have my eyes on my next guitar. Can't wait!), just not to Gibson specifically...

It's no different than buying a Chevy (or Ford, or GMC, or Honda...) and being sold a lemon that keeps giving you problems that the company refuses to acknowledge.

If anyone here bought a new Honda Civic and the A/C didn't work, they would be upset. If they took it back to the dealer and was told to rub dryer sheets on the dash they would probably not be overly compelled to buy another Civic...

So I will be the resident a-hole and give my .02 cents.

First just a quick question is the static sound any time the guitar is plugged in to any amp or just yours? Have you tried other amp and cables? Is it constant or every now and then? Like I stated earlier I have a '14 LP and I can make a static pop if I rub my fingers across the control cover when plugged in, but I don't that when I play, my fingers are on the pick and strings.

Have you or any of the people you had look at it take an ohm meter and ensure all the metal pieces are at the same potential - ground. I assume a tech would have and maybe you did to, just an assumption.

Now if all this has been done and dryer sheets were the answer and techs say they may not ever be able to solve the issue here is what you do:

Get an acoustic, they don't require an amp.

Sell the guitar and get a different one.

Or keep what you got. I've owned 12 Gibson electric in my life, to some that is a lot and to some that is just a few. But I have never had that happen, but I have heard of it happening.

1. Plugged in to different amps, using different cables (and in different tech shops).

2. The sound is constant. I can get rid of it for a couple minutes with dryer sheets, but it comes back. It crackles not only when I touch the back, but when my hand goes up and down the fret board.

3. I've tested all grounds with ah ohm meter. GTG.

4. Expensive guitar doesn't work as advertised so the solution is to buy an acoustic? You sure you don't work for Gibson customer service...?

5. The three Gibsons we (myself and the tech) tried in the store all had the problem, just not as bad as mine. It's systemic.

6. Gibson acknowledges the problem. It's worse with some guitars than others. They just don't have a fix for it (besides, potentially, finishing the guitar before they sell it)

It's no different than buying a Chevy (or Ford, or GMC, or Honda...) and being sold a lemon that keeps giving you problems that the company refuses to acknowledge.

If you think a car dealer or GM, Ford etc will let you return a "lemon" you're sadly mistaken

Big Bill put up U2 pics and that means a thread is dead.

And to the OP my "get an acoustic guitar" comment was sarcasm. But also true. None of my acoustics have static problems cause they don't plug in.

I recently picked up a used Taylor 210DLX in excellent condition for a great price. :)

I think you should have bought a used Gibson to begin with.

This is what happens when you go out and spend 2K+ on a new guitar.

Your expectations can be unrealistic already knowing that Gibson has had problems for some time

with the guitars they've built in the last few years.

It's like going to a restaurant expecting amazing food after you've read a ton of reviews that

say the food there sucks.

WHY would you go there expecting a totally different outcome?

You should have researched the target years for a good guitar like the one you wanted.

If you could have tracked one down, then you could have tried it out in person to make sure is sounded and played to your expectations.

The writing was the on the wall and you ignored the warning.

This is on you and now you're blaming Gibson.

Blame the guy in the mirror.

yea man I saw the "angels of Death photo" post. and yes, I laughed!! :)

check this out, this was my 1st J200 with a defective LR Bags Pickup! Sent to Stuart at Sweet water, who replaced it that day. shipped another one over night.

it's good for a few laughs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItZ3WKerAQ

kryst! After all that I bet you looked out to find a swat team surrounding the place. [omg]

I think you should have bought a used Gibson to begin with.

This is what happens when you go out and spend 2K+ on a new guitar.

Your expectations can be unrealistic already knowing that Gibson has had problems for some time

with the guitars they've built in the last few years.

It's like going to a restaurant expecting amazing food after you've read a ton of reviews that

say the food there sucks.

WHY would you go there expecting a totally different outcome?

You should have researched the target years for a good guitar like the one you wanted.

If you could have tracked one down, then you could have tried it out in person to make sure is sounded and played to your expectations.

The writing was the on the wall and you ignored the warning.

This is on you and now you're blaming Gibson.

Blame the guy in the mirror.

A$$hole much buddy?

rct

This is actually the first I've heard of this issue.

I've been to Sweetwater several times and played many new Gibsons there, and have bought 2 within the last year and a half, and never experienced this, either in their store or at home, and never experienced it with used/older guitars either.

Not sure how I would handle the situation if it was me, but I'm sure I'd be frustrated as well.

kryst! After all that I bet you looked out to find a swat team surrounding the place. [omg]

LOL! The first few times it happened I had head phones on, and was like "What in the holy....." The next one was ok, but I wound up ripping it out anyway, the pre-amp housing rattled like crazy. Drove me nuts.

This is actually the first I've heard of this issue.

I've been to Sweetwater several times and played many new Gibsons there, and have bought 2 within the last year and a half, and never experienced this, either in their store or at home, and never experienced it with used/older guitars either.

Not sure how I would handle the situation if it was me, but I'm sure I'd be frustrated as well.

Kidblast’s example with the acoustic does a good job in showing the issue. I can have mine popping like that, rub a dryer sheet on the neck (rub up and down 50-100 times), and the popping is all but gone.

By the end of the first (poorly played) song, however, it’s back. Different cables, amps, etc, same thing. And none of my other guitars have the issue.

And the three Gibson’s the tech tried at my local shop all had it as well, albeit not as bad. Those were mainly popping when you ran your hand across the back. Mine is back and neck.

I’ve already come to peace with it and wanted to tell others how much I appreciate you all taking the time to help before leaving the forum. I have my eyes on a couple of other brands but wish you all the best here. To that end I have a 2011 Les Paul Jr. that I would never part with.

If the problem is static discharge from the surface of the guitar, it would not likely have anything to do with wiring or shielding. Furthermore, if some guitars of a given model and year have it and others don't, and it may come and go over time, it would seem that it may be environmental rather than the instrument itself, so long as there is no difference in finish, materials, etc.

I haven't read every post but if you haven't tried cleaning it with Naphtha as suggested, that's what I would try.

Good luck whatever you do.

Archived