Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Waterloo WL-14L

BluesKing777

Twins!

Did some horse trading, moved 2, bought 1..... [biggrin]

Had to have the ladder braced Waterloo (right) to go with my X braced (left). The new one seems like the big V neck is even bigger than the other. Sounds fab. Plays fab. Bill Collings was a genius and I wanted this before it was gone - I heard disparaging comments from a salesman and I don't think the shop will order another ladder. Could be wrong...

Anyway, there could be some slide in the ladder's destiny while the X will be rags.........

Oh, it sounds like a really old Kalamazoo...mostly.....but it still needs training. :mellow:

huTrfarh.jpg

uJBTtcPh.jpg

And a Hiscox to lug it in....also got the Waterloo case, so the Boss thought I had come home with 2 guits..

ecljWM8h.jpg

BluesKing777.

Congrats!

The Waterloos have been a game changer in the world of guitars.

The one that as get my juices flowing is the WL-S Deluxe. I thought I had one wrapped up in a trade a month or so back but if fell through. How Collings can slap a hand rubbed varnish finish on a guitar with that street price is beyond me.

Ha!

Pleased as Punch and just put it down to walk dog...

But this is perfect for my playing but the ladder bracing is the enemy of a strummer that wants skinny neck and loads of bass.

And the Boss knew it was coming, JZ..and I traded away to no cash out, so I slept inside last night. I brought it home in the Hiscox but they gave me the WL case it came with and for a moment, she thought I had come home with 2. :mellow:

And Zomb, I too want that Stella model WL-S Deluxe. For one thing, luckily, they have become scarce to non existant if you look them up..and a second thing, I wonder what actual size guitar they are for Hiscoxia purposes, who don’t make an 0. [scared]

And QM, Orville must be turning and shaking trying to get the current Gibson to reissue the Zoos! Can get about 4 WLs for the price of a new L-00 reissue.

BluesKing777.

Don’t think there will be any soundclips today, I have a blister on my thumb from overplaying......

I rang a friend to tell him about my new Waterloo, spoke for a while and when I mentioned there was a mahogany top model with same big V neck as mine, he got all buzzy. Owing him a visit, I said I would chuck it in the car and bring it up for him to play. Up being the operative word - winding around the mountains on a dark, cold, rainy night!

I took both Waterloos in the photo above and after playing and talking in his dining room for a while, enough for him to be in LOVE...., we put the WLs back in their Hiscoxes for a while and went down to his music room to try his guitars and new AER 60 amp through his PA! And first up, his Gibson Blues King, then his Martin 00015 and a Maton dread. All sounded so good through his A&H mixer and powered JBLs that next thing we have set up a SM58 and singng/playing. I went and grabbed my X braced Waterloo, put my Baggs M80 pickup in the hole, plugged the Pro EQ in and gave that a few tunes through his setup. Really, really nice.

Home I went, round and down the mountains and now I just have to unpack everything...hmmm..day off? [blink]

Na.

BluesKing777.

Addendum:

Grabbed the ladder braced, put the sore thumb and fingers to it. Played through a blues book by Dave Hamburg for a while to clear the fog and then picked up my Beatles Complete Scores book and halfway through Come Together, the guitar just Opened Up! The other Waterloo did that too! Must be the extreme thin finish. [biggrin]

Sounds like I cleaned my ears out and turned up the volume. Fantastic!

BluesKing777.

Not much going on inthe Gibson Acoustic forum - this thread is still on the first page after 8 odd days?

Well, update for you.

Changed the old strings that came on it this morning....so I had a brand new guitar that sounds 80 years old with strings that were at least 75 years old. How can this be? My friend played it! He has ‘Reverse Midas Touch Poison Skin Emissions’.

Anyway, it has 12 Elixirs like most of my guitars now and sounds sensational. Great for blues and rags obviously, but good for all kinds of play...except maybe DADGAD tuning. [mellow]

And my Baggs M1A sounds great on/in it!

Now originally I was buying the ladder brace guitar for slide as that has been the general consensus, but the action is too low at the moment and playability superb, thanks Collings, so I took the Baggs out and put it in the old Gibson L-0 and...there we are. I am starting to think slide is no good on anything made after 1952 [smile] the old guys use to put a match under the strings at the nut so they could play slide on some tunes, the remove the match for normal play. I may try that on the Waterloo.

BluesKing777.

Archived