Gibson Brands Forums: Change Electronics on Historics or no? - Gibson Brands Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Change Electronics on Historics or no? Upgrades for custom shops

#41 User is offline   justtryme 

• Group: All Access

Posted 01 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

I buy a guitar because I know what it it sounds like, will sound like, or can sound like.
I'm able to do that and it has worked every time.
I have a custom shop with burstbuckers that I could tell the guitar sounded good and the pickups were not to my liking.
Stuck in a set of WCR's and people keep complimenting that guitar.

I know someone that worked on the Sandy burst pickups. He said they were ****.
Not one burst was alike and not one custom shop is either.

#42 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:21 AM

View Postjusttryme, on 01 March 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

Not one burst was alike and not one custom shop is either...

I agree 100%.

Pip.

#43 User is offline   Col Mustard 

• LocationMichigan

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

I'll add something here that no one else has said:

If you want a Les Paul for a mod platform, don't buy a Historic.
Buy something less expensive, and less specialized, and turn it into
exactly what you want. Then rock that sucker.

If a Historic isn't exactly what you want, don't mod it... Sell it unmodded
to someone who values it more than you do. Then use the money to buy
or create exactly what you want.

You'll get more money for your Historic if you sell it unmodded. A lot more
IMHO.

In addition to that, I don't think there's any reason that a set of burst bucker
pickups should sound too bright. If they do, I would look somewhere else in
your signal chain for the reason. What burst buckers are is accurate.
They produce highs, mids and lows. They are one of the best pickup sets
Gibson makes, (in spite of what some guys say) and you ought to be able to
get great jazz tones, great classic rock tones, great cleans in all frequencies
and great output for overdriving tube amps.

If you can't, I'd look at your signal chain critically, with the assumption that
there's nothing wrong with your guitar or your pickups. You could verify this
by simply asking an experienced guitarist to plug your Lester into his own
rig, and play it for you. Watch what he does as he finds his tone.
If he can't
find his tone either, then maybe the p'ups or something else is at fault.
Listen while he tries to figure it out.

It's a good way to know what to do next.

#44 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

View PostCol Mustard, on 13 March 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

I'll add something here that no one else has said:

If you want a Les Paul for a mod platform, don't buy a Historic.
Buy something less expensive, and less specialized, and turn it into
exactly what you want. Then rock that sucker.

If a Historic isn't exactly what you want, don't mod it... Sell it unmodded
to someone who values it more than you do. Then use the money to buy
or create exactly what you want.

You'll get more money for your Historic if you sell it unmodded. A lot more
IMHO.

In addition to that, I don't think there's any reason that a set of burst bucker
pickups should sound too bright. If they do, I would look somewhere else in
your signal chain for the reason. What burst buckers are is accurate.
They produce highs, mids and lows. They are one of the best pickup sets
Gibson makes, (in spite of what some guys say) and you ought to be able to
get great jazz tones, great classic rock tones, great cleans in all frequencies
and great output for overdriving tube amps.

If you can't, I'd look at your signal chain critically, with the assumption that
there's nothing wrong with your guitar or your pickups. You could verify this
by simply asking an experienced guitarist to plug your Lester into his own
rig, and play it for you. Watch what he does as he finds his tone.
If he can't
find his tone either, then maybe the p'ups or something else is at fault.
Listen while he tries to figure it out.

It's a good way to know what to do next.

I agree man, why spend thousands of dollars to degrade its value immediately to make it a guitar you like... Why did you buy the guitar in the first place if you don't like the way it sounded? To me, I just cannot accept any argument why to modify a guitar that costs several thousands of dollars that will devalue it somewhat significantly when you start to undo the factory workmanship. I know you can go back and put the old pickups back in, but just why? Buy another guitar that comes with the stuff you like or as you suggested, buy a lower base model and mod it up. I suppose if you're filthy rich and want to start hacking stuff up because you just want to, sort of ridiculous still, go for it - not my money. But inevitably for me, a sad story to hear. Unless someone bought a modded Historic at a discount where some other goof messed with it, then maybe... Like I said, I think that it is ridiculous to go this route. I'd just find another guitar that I actually liked the sound and not guess what it "can" sound like based on some mysterious intuition... Not many people decide to do this stuff to their Gibson Historic LP... I have to think that there's a reason for this.

#45 User is offline   Black Dog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:34 AM

I have a different perspective. I agree that a modded historic will hold less value than a stock guitar. However, they all lose value. The exception may be some limited edition artist guitar perhaps. But even then, it will only hold value if you don't play it. If you do play it (I mean really play it), it's gonna show wear one way or another and the value goes down.

In this case the OP says he'll never sell this particular guitar (yeah, we've all heard that one before Posted Image). So, that makes the resale value argument irrelevant here.

And what about places like Historic Makeovers? They take a perfectly good historic, take it apart completely, strip the finish, re-carve the top and neck, change the fretboard and put it all back together claiming it's even more historic than when it was historic Posted Image.

Of course, that was for the older generation historic's which were less historic than the current historic's. Nothing is more historic than the current historic's.

To get anything more historic now you'll need a time machine. Fortunately, by the year 2505 Costco will sell them. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Black Dog: 14 March 2019 - 10:49 AM

#46 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

View PostBlack Dog, on 14 March 2019 - 10:34 AM, said:

To get anything more historic now you'll need a time machine. Fortunately, by the year 2505 Costco will sell them. Posted Image

LMAO! Posted Image Yeah, I want to buy myself a law degree there too - and don't forget to drink your electrolytes!

#47 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

Not wanting to start a bunfight but, as far as modding an Historic is concerned, I'm absolutely with Black Dog 100%. No question about it.
If you can improve any guitar more to your liking - even one as superb as an Historic - then do it. An Historic is an even better platform to start from (IMO) than anything else because so much is already so perfect.
Just my tuppenceworth FWIW.

P.

#48 User is offline   Black Dog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

View Postpippy, on 14 March 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

An Historic is an even better platform to start from (IMO) than anything else because so much is already so perfect.

Exactly.

#49 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:17 AM

There's no bad blood here. I respect what others choose to do with their own possessions - and what others' opinions are on the subject. I am relating this conversation to what I would be comfortable doing to an expensive guitar of mine, and I tried to give the best advice I could based on how I would feel if that guitar in question was mine. I expected that there would be differing opinions here as there is no real right or wrong answer here what to do. Really the only trade-off I see with modding a Gibson Historic guitar is if the guitar was to be sold at some later date and it is some collector piece. But again, not my money, not my stuff. I will sleep fine tonight Posted Image Best regards!

#50 User is offline   Black Dog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 15 March 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

There's no bad blood here. I respect what others choose to do with their own possessions - and what others' opinions are on the subject. I am relating this conversation to what I would be comfortable doing to an expensive guitar of mine, and I tried to give the best advice I could based on how I would feel if that guitar in question was mine. I expected that there would be differing opinions here as there is no real right or wrong answer here what to do. Really the only trade-off I see with modding a Gibson Historic guitar is if the guitar was to be sold at some later date and it is some collector piece. But again, not my money, not my stuff. I will sleep fine tonight Posted Image Best regards!

That's the thing for a question like this. There is no right or wrong answer. The right answer is the one that works for you. Posted Image

#51 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostBlack Dog, on 15 March 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

That's the thing for a question like this. There is no right or wrong answer...
This, of course, is absolutely correct.

View PostNighthawkChris, on 15 March 2019 - 08:17 AM, said:

There's no bad blood here. I respect what others choose to do with their own possessions...
I think we are all old enough and hope we are all wise enough to see this is the only logical standpoint.

View PostNighthawkChris, on 14 March 2019 - 07:37 AM, said:

...Why did you buy the guitar in the first place if you don't like the way it sounded?...
I am firmly in this camp myself.Although I would not be remotely averse to modifying an Historic if I felt it would improve the instrument I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place if I wasn't 99.9% happy with how it sounded.
Pip.

This post has been edited by pippy: 15 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

#52 User is offline   pauloqs 

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

I didn’t know some RI came with BB. Mine has CustomBuckers which I really like. I also like Bare Knuckle’s the Mule/Riff Raff or the Mule/Black Dog Neck/Bridge combos. Personally, I wouldn’t swap any of the other electronics, just the pickups. Furthermore, for a custom shop guitar, I would go all out with the pickups and either get the 57 Classic/classic+ or custombucker, if he can find a used pair, or either one of aforementioned Bare Knuckes combos. Though, I’d probably lean the BK route.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users