Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson Les Paul

Maahes

In fact this will be my first Gibson!

I have had a couple of Epiphone Les Pauls in the past including my personal favourite 56' re-issue gold top, but after playing about 2 years I have decided that I am ready for a step-up...I want a Gibson!

I have narrowed it down to a Les Paul but there is such a massive selection it’s a little bewildering. So far I am leaning towards the GT, that Phantom Black finish is so cool, however its a little more £££ and I need to know if it’s worth the extra, over a standard.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

I just purchased my first Les Paul this past December. I picked up an 05' Les Paul Standard - Premium Plus...If I was you, I'd go with the Standard. The GT looks awfully nice & I'm sure it's a fine guitar, but for my first, I'd go Standard...& the Premium Plus gets my vote. Super guitar.

I'm on the prowl for my second faded Standard. They're a fantastic guitar and especially for the price. In Canada, they've recently dropped to $1429. That's $800 cheaper than a regular Standard and the ONLY difference is the gloss finish (or lack of).

They're now cheaper than the Epiphone Elitist Les Paul

Well I don't know which LP style to tell you get but I will tell you that you picked a good avatar. That band got me to pick up my first

guitar in the 70's. I saw them many times when I lived in Atlanta and was at the Fox Theater on the second night of their live album. I also remember them at the old Fulton county stadium, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker. Allman Bros. Heart and one of my favorite Fusion bands

Mothers Finest where all there at one concert. What a day! I think the tickets were $15.00.

I know, time to shut up old man. Enjoy your LP,, Mark

Hey Guitar Junkie: From a fellow Cannuck where are you finding that price. If I can veryify it I can get my local shop to match it. I am in the Niagara area. I am looking for an LP as well. I have an original 68 SG, a 1990 ES335, and an Epi Elitist Les Paul custom. I am looking for something in the 1500 to 2000 range. I have a line on an r8 but I am not sure about the fat neck. That Faded in the tobacco burst sure looks good. I hear you can polish them up with Virtuoso and Meguiers. Do yo think it needs it?

That price was from Steve's Music in Ottawa, which works out good for you since Steve's in Toronto should have the same price (if not, have them call Ottawa).

I have a Tobacco burst and my Virtuoso and Meguiar's have been sitting here for a week and a half waiting for me. I've been so busy selling stuff to pay for my own personal "Gibson of the Week" program from this last month that I just haven't had the time. I'll post before and after pics when I do. I do like it in the faded, but I heard that the Virtuoso gives the flame more of a 3-D effect. I'm looking to enhance the flame more than trying to make it shiny.

There are quite a few threads on the LP forum with pics. Here's a couple that look pretty good. The first one shows the sort of VOS type semi-gloss look, the second shows how it brings out the flame.

100_1075.jpg

101_0588.jpg

These aren't my photos. I just linked to the LP Forum. If the owners of these guitars want the pics removed, let me know.

Thanks GJ: How does your tobacco burst look compared to the ones in the picture. I have only seen a couple in real life and it is hard to tell from the pitures on the various web sites. I am too far to bother with Steves in Toronto but I can use that price as leverage at my local store. I am still tossing around a couple of choices. I have a line on a used R8, and I am crossed between a Standard, or Classic antique. My problem is that I am looking for a plain top with a 60s slim taper and covered 57s or BBs. Also does the faded come with a pickguard in the case? I can't understand why Gibson puts the combinations they do in ther guitars. The worn brown lp has BBs in it and the Studio and Classic have the Ceramics.

In fact this will be my first Gibson!

I have had a couple of Epiphone Les Pauls in the past including my personal favourite 56' re-issue gold top' date=' but after playing about 2 years I have decided that I am ready for a step-up...I want a Gibson!

I have narrowed it down to a Les Paul but there is such a massive selection it’s a little bewildering. So far I am leaning towards the GT, that Phantom Black finish is so cool, however its a little more £££ and I need to know if it’s worth the extra, over a standard.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

[/quote']

I managed to get a 2 year old Classic on ebay for £620. There are bargains to be had if you dont mind buying used.

Here's a picture of mine. It's a little more yellow looking than real life because it was sunset.

fadedlp01.jpg

When I got mine they ordered a honeyburst and a tobaccoburst so I could pick one. The honyburst is a nicer looking finish, but there was almost no flame. If you're looking for a plain top, you might be in luck with a faded.

Thanks guys.

I will certainly have a long hard look at the faded LPs as the prices are much much cheaper, even in the UK!

Is the only difference the finish?

Has anyone actually lived with and played a GT? I know it’s much more but I was wondering if it was worth it.

I only really discovered skynard a couple of years back after Metallica covered Tuesdays gone...I have been a massive fan ever since. That gig sounds like one of those legendary music moments that almost sound to good to be true (although I suspect it wasn’t)

Anything else I need to consider, this is going to be a 30th Birthday Present from my girl, so I had better get it right!

I have not played a GT, but here is what I have found about my Standard Faded.

1) The finish is very different. Some people will not like it. I think it's kinda cool.

2) The neck is a lot faster than my other two Les Pauls because of the thin finish. This is totally sweet.

3) My Faded is a LOT lighter than my Studio and Classic. At first this threw me, as I felt like somehow the guitar wasn't authentic. But now I am totlly cool with it.

4) I love the Zebra humbuckers, but you can always cover them up.

5) I love the Burstbucker Pros, but you can always change them if you don't.

And finally, I just couldn't argue with the 700 dollar price cut. I got mine for 1599.99, no tax or shipping. I personally don't think the traditional finish with 2 humbucker covers is worth the extra money. But everyone is different (I wouldn't mind scoring a used Les Paul Standard with the normal finish ).:-k/

Hey GJ: I went down to my local shop today and they had the Studios on for 1099. I just couldn't turn that down.

I had to order one but it will be in in a week. I got the Fireburst with gold hardware. They had a Wine red with gold and I already have an Elitist LP Custom in Wine red with Gold so I took the FB. This fit my budget pretty good because I just bought two strats, and a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue in the last month or so.

Archived