Gibson Brands Forums

Employment

Iron Fist

Greetings,

I am a Guitar Builder/Repair Tech from the Chicago area and I am trying to get a job at the Gibson factory. I have filled out a application and taken the test but I have not heard from anyone yet. Are you only looking for people that already live in the Nashville/Memphis areas?

I am a graduate of The Chicago School of Guitar Making with several years of experience in the trade and I would love the opertunity to work for Gibson at one of your factories. I am willing to move to Tn. at any time if a position is offered.

If you have any suggestions how to get the H.R. departments attention It would be greatly appreciated.

1st you should NEVER wait for them to call you. Wait 3 days after your first contact (application submission and test), then call to check your app's status.

You have already established a relationship by taking the test and filling out an ap.

Tomorrow, call the HR office, explain where you are in the application process. Ask if you can set up an interview. Times are tough, take the bull by the horns.

1st you should NEVER wait for them to call you. Wait 3 days after your first contact (application submission and test), then call to check your app's status.

You have already established a relationship by taking the test and filling out an ap.

Tomorrow, call the HR office, explain where you are in the application process. Ask if you can set up an interview. Times are tough, take the bull by the horns.

Agree on that!! Keep after them. Be polite but let them know you're really interested. Good HR people like it when applicants are persistent.

On the other hand if you bug them too much they might do something that's not in your favor.

Just sayin.

Anyway......GOOD LUCK and WELCOME !!!!! [thumbup]

I was in a position of hiring on a few occasions. Often times a candidate would be over jealous and call me everyday to see if I made a decision. It especially bothered me when I told the person I would be the next person to reach out in the hiring process. I did skip over those folks. But remember, that was my managing style, others may be impressed with the aggressive follow-up.

I was doing the hiring for a company I once worked for, and this one candidate would stop by my office every couple of days. We'd sit down and chat for awhile, and I got to know (and like) him pretty well. He was wanting to leave a steady, decent paying job as a cable TV installation technician, for a "future" position this company MIGHT have in the commercial/industrial trade show audio-visual business (everybody wants to be in show business).

I took my position with this company after a few years of doing business with them as an independent contractor. Knowing the owners and general business practices of this company (a little shoddy to say the least), I advised the candidate that he really didn't want the job, and was MUCH better off staying with the job he had.

I only lasted a couple of months as an "employee" of this company, but continued to do contract work for them for a few more years. Something about paid vacations (oh, I mean business trips) to New York, Las Vegas, Los Angelos, Chicago, Dallas, etc, on MY contract terms, was hard to give up. I eventually got tired of the same old company BS and decided to stay home with the new wife.

I was in a position of hiring on a few occasions. Often times a candidate would be over jealous and call me everyday to see if I made a decision. It especially bothered me when I told the person I would be the next person to reach out in the hiring process. I did skip over those folks. But remember, that was my managing style, others may be impressed with the aggressive follow-up.

Well there is aggresive, then there's being a pestilence. Every other day is being a pestilence. I would, at a minimum, call 2 to 3 days after the last, in the office contact. Make sure to have a pertinent question you 'thought of after you left' to show interest. Probably best to ask something about the company.

Always tough o break in to any industry and like some have said Interested is good but being a job stalker is bad - people that cold called me and then continued to bug me about jobs that were not posted or available would never get hired even when a job did become availabe. I always felt that a problem or needy candidate wasn't gonna change when you hire them then they just become a needy employee and then it's your problem.

Most hiring professionals don't want to deal with people that are trying to talk to them about a job any job unless the job is open and being actively filled. A interest card is really all the further i would take it. The only exception was somebody with a very special skill set or that somebody I personally knew and trusted was recommending them.

In 20 plus years as a senior c -level executive i can't ever remember hiring a walk in that was cold calling me.

Guitar companies are tough usually since a lot of people really want to work those jobs I have a good friend that was a custom builder and a good one and had gone to a major school he went to work for one of the majors companies as a sander when he explained what he knew and his skills they said that's great but we only hire sanders then you work your way up. he lasted a few months and hated it he wanted to be involved in designing and building instruments and they wanted a production person only he said he could just as easily been building kitchen chairs.

Good Luck though and hope you find the job that you really love.

Archived