Gibson Brands Forums

Strap lock substitutes

Tim Plains

The though of dropping a guitar has crossed my mind a few times and I've been thinking about getting Scaller's.

The reason I haven't yet is because I don't like the idea of putting longer screws into the wood and also having toothpicks (and maybe glue) in my guitars...but, the more I thought about it, the more I thought about the potential damage if I did actually drop one and decided to just suck it up and do it.

I was at a music store today and was going to buy some Scaller's when I came across these. Just put them on and twist.

The sale guy said they work great and the only thing wrong with them is that people lose them easily.

I can't see them costing much money, either, maybe $2.

The guy just gave them to me (one of the perks when buying two guitars on the same day!).

I've only had them for a few hours now and they seem pretty good. The only con I can see with these is I'm sure they will leave a visible ring on the strap...but as long as that ring doesn't go through the strap and imprint the guitar, I'm happy.

Straplock013.jpg

Btw, that's not rust on the screw...that's VOS, baby! +:-@

Hi Tim (or should I call you R9 now?...) the pics won't load on the computer I'm using but I assume you're referring to the Dunlop Straploks. I love those things... cheap, secure... I was always scared at the thought of screwing things into my guitars. I use them regularly on both my LP and my SG and have had no problems thus far except that they leave an indent on the strap when I use it on my Lester due to the strap's position. I've never heard of them imprinting the guitar. Hope they work well for you. They at least seem to work better then my friend's solution of electrical tape... =D>

Archived