Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Make Your Own Les Paul

#1 User is offline   bluesguitar65 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Found this interesting thread over at Harmony Central. This guy is making a Les Paul from blue prints from Stewart Macdonald. Watcha think of his progress?

http://acapella.harm...e-made-Les-Paul

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Andre S 

• Bonamassa Addict
  • LocationCaribbean

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Looks great, but I must say that it is widely known that the Stew Mac plans have several flaws in them, that have created issues when others have used them to build. There are better diagrams out there.

"The day when you pick up a guitar and there's nothing coming through whatsoever, there's no new pieces, there's no new ideas - and that's the sort of gift any creative person has - there's always that point that that might happen to you, when you're too old to pick the guitar up - and we're just trying to keep that day far, far away and out of sight."

- James Patrick Page

- 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio
- 2009 Martin OM-1
- 2011 'Skylark' Les Paul Replica
-------------------------
- Jet City 20H
- Phaez Sibly
- Fender Champion 600
- Fender Super Champ XD

#3 User is offline   krock 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'd love to build a LP Jr but I know that it would take me forever because I dont have the machinery and would probably cost me almost as much as just buying it
Michael Kelly Patriot Limited Spalted | Custom Telecaster
Vox AC4 Head & Cab | Blackheart Handsome Devil Head & Cab | Zoom fire 30

#4 User is offline   brianh 

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

View Postkrock, on 30 November 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

I'd love to build a LP Jr but I know that it would take me forever because I dont have the machinery and would probably cost me almost as much as just buying it

When you factor in the tools, it costs many times more to build a guitar than to buy it. But it's not about the cost, it's about learning a craft.

Nice link by the way. That guy is an inspiration.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   daveinspain 

• Player/Collector
  • LocationValencia, Spain

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

View Postbrianh, on 30 November 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

When you factor in the tools, it costs many times more to build a guitar than to buy it. But it's not about the cost, it's about learning a craft.

I'd just rather buy a real one...
1971 SG Standard Lyre Maestro tremolo, Cherry, original patent number sticker humbuckers
1983 Corvus, old gold, 3 single coil pups with 5 way selector switch
1997 Blueshawk, red/gold hardware,2 blues 90 pups with rotary vary sound selector
2006 Gretsch Chat Atkins 6120DSW orange/gold hardware, 2 Dynasonic pups
2006 LP project, refinished with a gold leaf top, Seymour Duncan pups with Jimmy Page set-up
2006 Johnny A custom, 57 Classic pups
2007 JP EDS 1275, Jimmy Page pups
2007 LP classic Heritage Cherry Sunburst, 496R and 500T ceramic humbucker pups
2007 LP Robot Guitar 1st edition, 490R and 498T pups
2007 LP Custom black/gold hardware, 490R and 498T pups
2007 Brain May, Red Special 3 Andeson Tri-Sonics pups
2008 Alhambra Acoustic model Auditorium Luthier. Hand painted one of a kind...
2011 Fender Strat Mahogany Crimson Red 2 Tex Mex single coils, 1 humbucker and S1 switch
2013 Fender Acoustic CD140SCE NAT
2014 Pignose travel guitar, 1 humbucker with built-in speaker and 1watt amp

My SoundClick

See my video here

I don't want to be the fastest guitarist, I want to be a guitarist with lots feeling and able to express the music I hear in my head...

#6 User is offline   recsec 

• Advanced Member

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

This is a great build. Does anybody remember the one that Andy started? Did he ever finish the RR Les Paul rebuild?

#7 User is offline   Andy R 

• King of the Night Time World
  • LocationOn my butt in front of a computer....Duh!

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

View Postrecsec, on 30 November 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

This is a great build. Does anybody remember the one that Andy started? Did he ever finish the RR Les Paul rebuild?

No... Life has gotten in the way... I'm taking a few weeks off again around christmas and plan on finishing it and the Rick bass I started....
I think...Therefore My Brain Hurts...

#8 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

View Postdaveinspain, on 30 November 2011 - 07:31 PM, said:

I'd just rather buy a real one...

And cover it in real gold...............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ................
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Andy R 

• King of the Night Time World
  • LocationOn my butt in front of a computer....Duh!

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

View Postbrianh, on 30 November 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

It depends on how hard you want to work and or how many guitars you want to build. There is a build thread I saw of a guy in Japan ( he is not Japanese) building a les Paul using nothing but non-powered hand tools.... Pretty amazing....

There are also a lot of threads on how to build tools... In the end I figured out the approximate cost of building a High End Les Paul "Style" guitar paying retail for parts you end up under $1,000.00 If you ebay well you can build around 500-600 dollars ...

I think...Therefore My Brain Hurts...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users