Gibson Guitar Board: Locking Tuners(Les Paul) - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Locking Tuners(Les Paul)

#1 User is offline   BluesForTheRedSun 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 14-February 12

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hey guys,just registered and this is my first post.I just bought a 50's tribute humbucker Les Paul Gold Top.This is my first Gibson ever,and I think I love it.I never really thought they justified the price before,but after getting to jam on one everyday, I get it now.I tune to a drop C for the type of music my band jams and I bend more than I thought I did.I have to retune my LP after every song.I know Kluson makes locking tuners that fit a LP with no mods but the locking mech is on top of the headstock instead of a thumb screw underneath.I have not been able to find any close up pictures of the headstock with the Kluson locking tuners installed.If any of yinz guys have the the locking Kluson's and can post a good pic of what they look like installed I would appreciate it.Or if you can suggest a different brand of locking tuner you have installed that works good.I have an old Ibanez Artist I installed locking tuners on and it cuts my retuning down to about every three songs,but I had to ream out the peg holes and drill new screw holes etc...etc....If I have to install the Klusons I will, but I would love to see a good pic of them installed before I spend a $100 on them.Thanks guys.
Kyuss-BluesForTheRedSun-Is the only cd I have ever worn out from playing too much.

#2 User is offline   btoth76 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3838
  • Joined: 14-July 10
  • LocationLeányvár, Hungary

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Hello and welcome! I don't have any tuning issues with my LP at all with the factory machine heads. I use standard tuning, and I also do lot of bends and very crude vibratos. Maybe the nut is sticking on Your guitar? That's typical for new Gibsons. A proper setup and/or some graphite powder will solve this issue. Cheers... Bence
_________________________________

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Böhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

#3 User is offline   dsheppard 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 11-September 09
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostBluesForTheRedSun, on 14 February 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Hey guys,just registered and this is my first post.I just bought a 50's tribute humbucker Les Paul Gold Top.This is my first Gibson ever,and I think I love it.I never really thought they justified the price before,but after getting to jam on one everyday, I get it now.I tune to a drop C for the type of music my band jams and I bend more than I thought I did.I have to retune my LP after every song.I know Kluson makes locking tuners that fit a LP with no mods but the locking mech is on top of the headstock instead of a thumb screw underneath.I have not been able to find any close up pictures of the headstock with the Kluson locking tuners installed.If any of yinz guys have the the locking Kluson's and can post a good pic of what they look like installed I would appreciate it.Or if you can suggest a different brand of locking tuner you have installed that works good.I have an old Ibanez Artist I installed locking tuners on and it cuts my retuning down to about every three songs,but I had to ream out the peg holes and drill new screw holes etc...etc....If I have to install the Klusons I will, but I would love to see a good pic of them installed before I spend a $100 on them.Thanks guys.



I have no tuning issues with mine, either. I would assume you jumped to a thicker gauge string for the lower tuning? If so, it would think that nut work would be needed to work with these thicker strings? Just sayin'... Sounds like a nut issue.
*************************************************************************************
'13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
'12 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus
Marshall JVM 205H
Marshall 1936 2X12
Randall Diavlo RD45
(2) Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12's
Hardwire CM-2 OD
Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
MXR Black Label Chorus
Boss DD-6 Delay
ISP Decimator

#4 User is offline   BluesForTheRedSun 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 14-February 12

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Postdsheppard, on 18 February 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

I have no tuning issues with mine, either. I would assume you jumped to a thicker gauge string for the lower tuning? If so, it would think that nut work would be needed to work with these thicker strings? Just sayin'... Sounds like a nut issue.

Even though I tune down I still use normal .10 gauge packs of strings.I pulled the trigger on the Kluson locking tuners and should have them in a couple of days.I am to the point where I don't care if the locking thing is on top of the headstock instead of underneath just as long as they work,which I've read they do.....Thanks
Kyuss-BluesForTheRedSun-Is the only cd I have ever worn out from playing too much.

#5 User is offline   SlashPerryBurst 

  • Thin Lizzy fan
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 394
  • Joined: 25-May 11
  • LocationFrom Glasgow, Living in Tokyo

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Postbtoth76, on 15 February 2012 - 03:20 AM, said:

Hello and welcome! I don't have any tuning issues with my LP at all with the factory machine heads. I use standard tuning, and I also do lot of bends and very crude vibratos. Maybe the nut is sticking on Your guitar? That's typical for new Gibsons. A proper setup and/or some graphite powder will solve this issue. Cheers... Bence



Same. My standard literally has not gone out of tune in months. Even though it has recently been on a long haul flight (14 hours) it still holds it's tune perfectly.
Have cut back on my equipment do to circumstance. Just my #1 Gibson Les Paul Standard just now. No amps, no pedals.

#6 User is offline   DestructorsKillMusic1982 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 179
  • Joined: 20-January 09

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

My SG-3 has aftermarket Planet Waves locking tuners on it that do very well, I was going to switch them out to the standard Grover tulips or minis that I use on all my guitars but they have worked so well I decided to leave them on. The locking mechanism is all on the back of the tuner, which I like, but it did take me a bit of getting used to the look of the mix of chrome and black parts on them (not sure if they make them on all-chrome or gold or not.)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wine Red w/ Dimarzio Virtual PAF & Super Distortion p/u's
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Faded Cherry Sunburst
2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ebony, w/ Seymour Duncan Custom 5 p/u
1982 Gibson "The Paul" Firebrand, burgundy, w/ brass Kahler tremolo
1993 Gibson SG Standard, Classic White
1973 Gibson SG Standard, natural, w/3 p/u's & Bigsby vibrato
1998 Gibson SG Special, black, w/Maestro vibrato & Dimarzio 36 PAF p/u
1997 Gibson SG-X, refinished in faded classic white, black pearloid pickguard added
2001 Gibson SG Gothic, black
2007 Gibson SG-3, black, Guitar of the Week #30, w/ Dimarzio Blue Velvet, Seymour Duncan JB Jr. & Fender p/u's
1972 Gibson SG-I, refinished in black
2007 Gibson Flying V '84 reissue, silverburst, Guitar of the Week #40
2006 Gibson Explorer, black, w/ TP-6 bridge
2012 Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute, vintage sunburst
1975 Gibson Marauder, natural w/Seymour Duncan '59 p/u
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe w/ Seymour Duncan Invader & Dimarzio Super Distortion p/u's
199? ESP Custom Shop M-I, graphic finish (from Warren Demartini's 'Frenchie' Charvel), w/ EMG 81 p/u
1998 ESP M-II Deluxe, black, w/ Seymour Duncan JB p/u
200? Fender Stratocaster (probably MIM), olympic white
1987 Aria Pro II SL ST-3 w/Epiphone Alnico V p/u
198? Kaman GTX 33, purple/rainbow tiger-stripe graphic finish
1987 Epiphone S-400, w/Floyd Rose, EMG 81 p/u & Dimarzio HS-2 & HS-3 p/u's
1972 Epiphone Classic EC-23A nylon-string classical acoustic
200? Ibanez acoustic-electric, black
196? Elger 12-string flat-top acoustic
194? Broman Pride archtop f-hole acoustic
197? Vantage bass
199? Steinberger Spirit bass


Marshall JCM900 Model 4100 100w head
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cabinet
Marshall 1936 2x12" cabinet
Peavey Vypyr 30w 1x12" w/ Sanpera I
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"

#7 User is offline   DestructorsKillMusic1982 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 179
  • Joined: 20-January 09

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

My SG-3 has aftermarket Planet Waves locking tuners on it that do very well, I was going to switch them out to the standard Grover tulips or minis that I use on all my guitars but they have worked so well I decided to leave them on. The locking mechanism is all on the back of the tuner, which I like, but it did take me a bit of getting used to the look of the mix of chrome and black parts on them (not sure if they make them on all-chrome or gold or not.)
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Wine Red w/ Dimarzio Virtual PAF & Super Distortion p/u's
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Alpine White
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Faded Cherry Sunburst
2005 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Ebony, w/ Seymour Duncan Custom 5 p/u
1982 Gibson "The Paul" Firebrand, burgundy, w/ brass Kahler tremolo
1993 Gibson SG Standard, Classic White
1973 Gibson SG Standard, natural, w/3 p/u's & Bigsby vibrato
1998 Gibson SG Special, black, w/Maestro vibrato & Dimarzio 36 PAF p/u
1997 Gibson SG-X, refinished in faded classic white, black pearloid pickguard added
2001 Gibson SG Gothic, black
2007 Gibson SG-3, black, Guitar of the Week #30, w/ Dimarzio Blue Velvet, Seymour Duncan JB Jr. & Fender p/u's
1972 Gibson SG-I, refinished in black
2007 Gibson Flying V '84 reissue, silverburst, Guitar of the Week #40
2006 Gibson Explorer, black, w/ TP-6 bridge
2012 Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute, vintage sunburst
1975 Gibson Marauder, natural w/Seymour Duncan '59 p/u
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe w/ Seymour Duncan Invader & Dimarzio Super Distortion p/u's
199? ESP Custom Shop M-I, graphic finish (from Warren Demartini's 'Frenchie' Charvel), w/ EMG 81 p/u
1998 ESP M-II Deluxe, black, w/ Seymour Duncan JB p/u
200? Fender Stratocaster (probably MIM), olympic white
1987 Aria Pro II SL ST-3 w/Epiphone Alnico V p/u
198? Kaman GTX 33, purple/rainbow tiger-stripe graphic finish
1987 Epiphone S-400, w/Floyd Rose, EMG 81 p/u & Dimarzio HS-2 & HS-3 p/u's
1972 Epiphone Classic EC-23A nylon-string classical acoustic
200? Ibanez acoustic-electric, black
196? Elger 12-string flat-top acoustic
194? Broman Pride archtop f-hole acoustic
197? Vantage bass
199? Steinberger Spirit bass


Marshall JCM900 Model 4100 100w head
Marshall 1960A 4x12" cabinet
Marshall 1936 2x12" cabinet
Peavey Vypyr 30w 1x12" w/ Sanpera I
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"
Line 6 Spider IV 15w 1x8"

#8 User is offline   BluesForTheRedSun 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 14-February 12

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostDestructorsKillMusic1982, on 22 February 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

My SG-3 has aftermarket Planet Waves locking tuners on it that do very well, I was going to switch them out to the standard Grover tulips or minis that I use on all my guitars but they have worked so well I decided to leave them on. The locking mechanism is all on the back of the tuner, which I like, but it did take me a bit of getting used to the look of the mix of chrome and black parts on them (not sure if they make them on all-chrome or gold or not.)

I installed the Planet Waves tuners on a cheap strat that I have,other than having to drill new screw holes in the back of the headstock they work great.I also like how they cut the string for you too,nice clean look.I thought about these for my LP but did not want to have to drill new holes.I have already installed the Kluson locking tuners and they fit great on my LP(no mods).Having the locking buttons on top looks a little strange but no big deal.While I was at it I rubbed the baked maple board down with some lemon oil and it darkened it slightly.(Which I was hoping for).My band jams this weekend so we will see how the new lockers work out....Thanks
Kyuss-BluesForTheRedSun-Is the only cd I have ever worn out from playing too much.

#9 User is offline   jberr52 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 27-June 12

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostBluesForTheRedSun, on 24 February 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

I installed the Planet Waves tuners on a cheap strat that I have,other than having to drill new screw holes in the back of the headstock they work great.I also like how they cut the string for you too,nice clean look.I thought about these for my LP but did not want to have to drill new holes.I have already installed the Kluson locking tuners and they fit great on my LP(no mods).Having the locking buttons on top looks a little strange but no big deal.While I was at it I rubbed the baked maple board down with some lemon oil and it darkened it slightly.(Which I was hoping for).My band jams this weekend so we will see how the new lockers work out....Thanks



I put locking grover 108 kidney beans on all my pauls. No screws. Just turn and it locks! Also 18:1 ratio for a fine tune..
Johnny B

Present Guitars:
2013 Gibson ES 339 Trad Pro Vintage SB
2012 Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro Pelhem Blue
2012 Epi AJ Acoustic

Past Honor Roll:
2010 Gibson Les Paul Faded Blue
2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard CSB 60's Neck
2007 Gibson Les Paul Nashville Jr x2
2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Mahoghony
2003 Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cut Yellow x 2
2003 Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cut Worn White
2003 Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cut Cherry Red
1998 Gibson Les Paul DC Standard Amber and Green

1995 Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
1985 Gibson Les Paul DC XLP Red HB Kaler
1985 Gibson Les Paul DC Red Stop Bar
1985 Gibson Les Paul DC XLP Gun Metal Gray HB

1983 Gibson Les Paul 30th Anv. Gold top #213
1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Blackie
1978 Gibson Les Paul "The Paul"
1976 Gibson L6 "Midnight Special"

#10 User is offline   kaicho8888 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 419
  • Joined: 22-January 08
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Locking tuners are convenient in changing strings; but no guarantee that it stays in tune if the nut binds! ...check another thread on nut binding.

nut slot binding
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users