Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Any ideas on what this explorer is. Is it Korina?

kurtforever27

It looks too yellow compared to the Korina I've seen which tends to look more golden-greenish. Yours looks as if it has a clear yellow laquer or a laquer that yellowed over time.

Here;s a pic of my 84 korina V which actually looks browner in this pic.

8459738924_27611d7c5e.jpg

The grain is fairly pronounced in the pic, mahogany seems to run a little clearer or more regular. I don't think that Gibson began using the korina until they started making their "pre-historics" circa '83 or '84.

post-56593-083528100 1367418369_thumb.jpgpost-56593-093647500 1367418395_thumb.jpgRecently purchased this 81 explorer and I cant figure out what it is? Is it Korina? Is it Mahogany painted TV Yellow???? The pickups have been changed so I know its not totally 100 percent original. Any help will be much appreciated!

That finish look immaculate. Is it a refin?

The easiest way to tell the difference between Korina and Mahogany is weight (they are both species of the same wood). If the guitar fells incredibly lightweight, it's most likely Korina. If it feels "normal" weight, it's probably Mahogany.

Not too sure, just looked at the back of my Korina Headstock and it is close to yours. My Korina is only 8 oz lighter that my Gibson. Mahogany does vary in weight, based on the water content, just enjoy it for wht it is looks great.

all3Ex_zpsdb9907eb.jpg

If I were you I'd check inside the cavities for some bare, un-painted, wood.

My initial thought was 'If it IS korina why on earth would they paint it yellow?'.

And Ol' Slowhand had excellent taste in amps.......

[thumbup]

P.

Archived