Gibson Brands Forums

My WM-00

Grandpa Larry

I've been playing for more than 40 years. My first "good" guitar was a Gibson Blue Ridge which I bought from Bill DeArango's store in Cleveland in 1966 or 1967. Over the years I've owned several other Gibsons, so I think I'm familiar with the Gibson sound and the way they play.

I enjoy finger picking country blues, jug band tunes, and ragtime. The otherwise nice axes I've been playing the past few years weren't doing it for me with that music. What I really wanted was the sound I got from the 60's era J-45 I owned more than twenty years ago, but in a smaller size instrument. I heard about Gibson's WM series a few years ago. They had a pretty good reputation, and I decided to get a WM-00 if one became available. I liked that this model has a wide neck and the Gibson short scale, and I liked the traditional Gibson 00 size and shape.

One turned up on Ebay last year and I bought it.

I was unimpressed when I unpacked it. The looks and finish were pretty plain and the so called rosette was next to non existent. I decided at first to resell it. As soon as I played it, though, my opinion changed.

It plays really well and it has that articulation I associate with Gibson guitars. It does not have the power of my Martin D35, or the pretty overtones of my LoPrinzi folk guitar. Nor do I want that sound for blues or ragtime. Surprisingly, despite the plain appearance it has that Gibson sound I really wanted.

A lot of what we like in an instrument is subjective. Blues pickers have used every make of guitar imaginable. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has experience with this axe.

I sold a WM-00 to fund a 00-18V. There's not a day that goes by - literally - that I don't regret selling my WM-00. I mostly fingerpicked mine (country blues) and it was great for this style, but did well with a flatpick also. It had the clearest midrange and the bluesiest twang on the B and E strings. I watch ebay and various sites for one to come up for sale and have also considered doing a custom order for one. They are great little guitars.

• 3 months later...

See my previous post from back in April.......

Early last week I got a pm here on the forum. It basically pointed to this thread and said "if you're still looking for a WM-00, I have one that I'm willing to sell". I responded without trying to show too much enthusiasm and asked the general questions -- has it been humidified, smoke-free home, etc. The seller turned out to be a super nice person, gave me way more information than I had asked. He bought the guitar in 2002 with the hope that buying a nice guitar would generate enough enthusiasm and conviction to make him learn to play. It didn't work out that way. I've ended up buying the guitar for a very fair price, he's throwing in 2 tuners, 2 straps, 5 sets of Martin strings, and a few other odds-n-ends. In checking the serial number on the guitar, it came off the production line in 2001 just 2 days after the WM-00 I had previously owned. In the pictures I've seen, the guitar still looks brand new. The top had darkened quite a bit on my first one; the top on this one still looks very light. Needless to say, I'm stoked! I've already got a Colosi bone saddle and pins ordered to replace the tusq that's on it. The big brown truck is supposed to be here Friday..............can't wait.

These are really interesting small body guitars. They are similar in size to an L-00 but a new body mold was created with a semi-circular lower bout similar to a jumbo, a Ferguson era innovation. I think that this re-curved shape is related to the Emmy Lou and 165 models. They have been greeted with near universal acclaim, partly because the build is basically the same as any other Gibson but at a price which probably lost money for the company.

WM-00.jpg

These are really interesting small body guitars. They are similar in size to an L-00 but a new body mold was created with a semi-circular lower bout similar to a jumbo, a Ferguson era innovation. I think that this re-curved shape is related to the Emmy Lou and 165 models. They have been greeted with near universal acclaim, partly because the build is basically the same as any other Gibson but at a price which probably lost money for the company.

WM-00.jpg

Not fond of that pickguard design, however. Looks almost like a Martin OM. I'd prefer a classic Gibson teardrop.

I like small acoustics & have played a number of Gibsons from this particular body-shaped series. For some reason, every one has had a somewhat constricted sound that didn't work for me. Of course, there are bound to be some gems waiting for a good home - hope your WM is one of them.

The WM series models I've played were all fantastic. In particular the WM-45, which was louder and fatter than Beth Ditto on a Jagerbomb binge. That light satin finish seems to really unleash some kind of resonance which is unique to guitars with that particular finish.

is it possible to order a saddle without measuring ??

It helped that I had previously ordered them for a Blues King and my first WM-00. But, Bob's standard Gibson saddle with compensated B-string will replace any Gibson TUSQ saddle.

It helped that I had previously ordered them for a Blues King and my first WM-00. But, Bob's standard Gibson saddle with compensated B-string will replace any Gibson TUSQ saddle.

so if i ask him for a j45 bone saddle i'd be able to just swap em ? radiused and all ?? i can do a bit if sanding off the bottom no problem but tht would be it.

same with a bone nut??

thanks

so if i ask him for a j45 bone saddle i'd be able to just swap em ? radiused and all ?? i can do a bit if sanding off the bottom no problem but tht would be it.

same with a bone nut??

thanks

Hover your mouse pointer over the big "I" beside "Gibson" in the Saddles section. It will probably give you the info you're looking for: Colosi Link I think I'd measure and send him an email to be on the safe side.

Archived