Gibson Brands Forums

The SG and Dunlop Strap Locks

ggm1960

This issue has probably come up before, sorry for the repeat. So I bought a new SG last Thursday and I want to put on Dunlop strap locks. Of course the Dunlop screws are to long (in the front particularly) and I can't use the original screws because the un-threaded section won't allow for the screw to go in all the way. The head diameter on typical #8 sheet metal screws is also too large to fit down into the Dunlop button cylinders as well. What might you have found to be a solution?

Greg

wrap the origional screws threads in masking tape, insert into a hand drill.......run drill while holding screw head against a file or whet-stone.

stop often to attempt inserting screw head into straplock.......when it goe's in, stop !!

allow the screw to cool......remove tape and install into guitar.

i've done this for 30+ years w/o issue

Hello! What I did on my Les Pauls when I installed the Strap-Locks was that I drilled the hole deeper with a drill bit only turned by hand (not to damage the finish with a drilling machine). It's an issue at the neck only. On the lower bout the included screws should work fine. Cheers... Bence

wrap the origional screws threads in masking tape, insert into a hand drill.......run drill while holding screw head against a file or whet-stone.

stop often to attempt inserting screw head into straplock.......when it goe's in, stop !!

That's a great idea! I never would have thought of that. Thanks.

I was down to the wire tonight, want to use that guitar at Friday's gig. Your suggestion lead me to just grind the Dunlop screw threads down to the correct length which is working out.

have you thought about trying the schalers,

you can use the stock screws.

I do use both the Dunlop and schalers on various guitars. As a rule I lean toward the Dunlop because I think they are easier to release but now having put those on this SG I wonder if I wouldn't have preferred the schalers in this situation. It's weird how the button sticks out there, more obnoxious than just the stock button. I may go back and try the schalers because it wouldn't hold the strap out away from the guitar as far but I'm also thinking either type is gonna be weird just because of the annoying position of the button.

I do use both the Dunlop and schalers on various guitars. As a rule I lean toward the Dunlop because I think they are easier to release but now having put those on this SG I wonder if I wouldn't have preferred the schalers in this situation. It's weird how the button sticks out there, more obnoxious than just the stock button. I may go back and try the schalers because it wouldn't hold the strap out away from the guitar as far but I'm also thinking either type is gonna be weird just because of the annoying position of the button.

I've got Schalers on both my SGs, I don't seem to note any thing off putting with them. Agree the dunlops are somewhat larger.

he button on the SG and others that put them there they seem way more prone to the strap popping out.

Archived