Gibson Brands Forums

Need some advice

heymcfly

I have the opportunity to purchase a Gibson ES 355 limited Edition 2006, I know very little about this guitar but wondered what people thoughts were and any background information on it. It has a serial number of 017160619 and going by the pictures its in perfect condition, this will be prob be a once in a life time purchase for me so what to make sure im 100% happy

Also is there any telling ways to make sure this is a proper USA Gibson?

Im not sure how to post pictures on here but ill try

Thanks Ross

post-55749-055369800 1365182048_thumb.jpg

post-55749-069348300 1365182073_thumb.jpg

post-55749-022251900 1365182113_thumb.jpg

OK I'll bite. I don't know about that specific model, but just in general, I don't think you can possibly say that it's in perfect condition from those pics, which are very small. Even if you have full size pics, you really won't know until you have it in your hands. I've bought a few "MINT", "LIKE NEW" guitars and found them less than described.

You can call Gibson with the serial number and get some info from them and compare it to the pics, but that alone isn't a guarantee it's the real deal.

If this is a lifetime purchase and you want to be 100% happy, then you need to do a lot of research and play some different models, and find out what you really want. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark. Avoid an impulse buy.

I hope it works out.

-Dave

Thank you for your quick reply, chances of me getting my hands on a few to test out will be very difficult but understand what you saying

I do however own a Hofner Verything and know they are very different guitars but i guess its a lot closer than owning a Tele

Ive added one more picture below

Ok does anyone know what the second hand value of a guitar like this is? Want to make sure i have the right idea and who best to ask then you guys/girls

Thanks

added (I say mint because the pictures come up very large on email and it looks spotless but yes i cant just presume is all perfect)

post-55749-046414500 1365183249_thumb.jpg

I'd be very wary of this one, lots of details that look pretty off even in the tiny photos. You could try to get better photos and compare to real 355s, but I'd just keep looking elsewhere if I were you.

On the up side, 355s are great guitars - find a good one and it could well be a once in a lifetime purchase!

Yes thats part of the reason why i posted on here because i was looking at other photos of real 355's and noticed none of them had Limited edition written underneath logo. Also none of them had this paint work style!

And this sounds silly but the certificate inside the guitar in all other 355's seem to be in red but this one is yellow????

Can you post if possible some more jpegs showing the entire guitar i.e. both front and back. To be honest there are certain things about this guitar that don't appear right to my eye. Can I ask where are you located, and are you buying this from a private party perhaps? What are they asking $$$ the guitar? jim in Maine

I'd be very wary of this one, lots of details that look pretty off even in the tiny photos. You could try to get better photos and compare to real 355s, but I'd just keep looking elsewhere if I were you.

I agree. Steer clear.

Thats fine, im uk based and this guy contacted me after seeing my Hofner on ebay and offered to swap my hofner which on value is worth £500 and £1000 for his guitar.I spoke to him on the phone and he said he was disabled and didn't get out much and wanted his guitar to go to a good home as he collects Hofners. And said this guitar was worth £2500+, so i stated doing research and hence coming to this forum

The more i write the more I realise i was pehap's on the end of a scam

would anyone be kind enough for me to foward the pictures i have and someone try and put them up larger

I was going to say try BB code but it doesn't seem to work on this page

Oh dear.

This guitar is NOT a Gibson.

DEFINITELY a fake. The only thing that makes it a "limited edition" is that this stuff is made for a limited time illegally in China until they get caught. Or, the time one could have it and believe it's a Gibson is limited.

A scam? really?

The guy calls YOU in and tells you he wants to trade 500 worth of your guitar + 1000 for a guitar he "says" is worth 2500? Explanation: "I happen to 'collect' guitars like you have, and I don't get out much". That don't fly, because if the WAS a Gibson he could: Go straight to a music store, and collect 1500 on the spot, OR put an ad in the paper or where ever and easily get someone to BRING him 1500. And beer. And a pizza.

Hell, I bet I could call a DEALER here and have them bring me all of the above if I only wanted 1500 for a 2500 guitar.

OK, sorry, jokes aside...here in the US, resale value for that would be about 50-150 bucks. Somewhat less than a guitar of equal quality that isn't illegal, which might sell new for about 200 bucks from a dealer. But from what I read, trying to sell in some countries can land you in jail.

There's a thread on how to post photos if that's any help? Got me started when I joined the site:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Even ignoring the body and headstock shape, neither of which look right in the small photos, the trussrod cover is a dead giveaway - and the Bigsby appears to be a Far East made B70, not the US made B7 found on 355s. The body shape is very reminiscent of one used for the Korean Epiphone Dots and Sheratons, which seems to have drifted across to a lot of the off-brand Chinese 335s such as Stagg, Shine etc.

I got the impression from your description that he's asking for you to give your Hofner and 1000 in exchange for the supposed 355, rather than giving you 1000 plus the guitar for your Hofner? On paper, and assuming the guitar was legit, that would seem to make more sense - but as soon as the seller starts up with the cock and bull stories the alarm bells start ringing for me. You did the right thing doing your homework first.

Ouch, yes, not even close to the real thing. I said previously the Bigsby looked like the wrong model for a 355 - looking at the big image that doesn't look right even for a B70 - so they're faking Bigsbys as well now!

Archived