Gibson Brands Forums

Tony P's dream come true

JuanCarlosVejar

Why on earth would that guitar be worth $8500???? It's pretty standard Martin...no Brazilian, nothing exotic???? I just don't get it!!! I'm with Danner, I would have guessed $3k.That's one of those guitars, that in the future, if you wanted to re-sell it, you would take a HUGE bath!

Watching our local Craig's list, I find that "Custom" models get REALLY discounted, and stay on the list for a much longer time than the standard models....like D-18, D-28. Also models like "GPC12PA4", you know, long name models, tend to stay on there a LONG time, who the hell knows what that means?? Again D-18, D-28...they are known quantities. At this price, I would get John Greven to make me one, probably less money, maybe even a better guitar.

Watching our local Craig's list, I find that "Custom" models get REALLY discounted, and stay on the list for a much longer time than the standard models....like D-18, D-28. Also models like "GPC12PA4", you know, long name models, tend to stay on there a LONG time, who the hell knows what that means?? Again D-18, D-28...they are known quantities. At this price, I would get John Greven to make me one, probably less money, maybe even a better guitar.

The market for an 8K guitar is actually very small. There's just not a huge section of the guitar market spending that kind of money and even second hand prices we're still talking more than your average 'premium' guitar when new. Again the market is very small and will most likely require a leap of faith by the buyer unless they're very lucky and the seller is within travelling distance, again this makes a very small market even smaller... the end result is you take a real kicking on selling price. You might reasonably argue that these type of guitars are a total false economy for the GAS merchant.

Archived