Gibson Brands Forums

Do you play music TO your guitar

RusRob

I always thought it would be a good idea if there was a break in machine..where a new guitar is set on to, in a sound proofed room, and a machanized arm with a pick just raked away

at the strings for a month.So that each note of the spectrum is covered..either a capo can be moved day by day ,up & down the guitar neck (budget machine : ) or a mechanized one that moves about every minute or so..

After a guitar is made..let it settle for a few months.. then it's break in time.

My idea..worth a try.

This thread has me doing some strange things (stranger than normal anyway). Since a couple hours after I first read this thread yesterday, I've had music playing in my guitar room. I sincerely don't know if the loud music makes my guitars sound better, but I do know that it makes them produce sounds while I'm not playing them. The strings do vibrate and you can feel the top vibrate also. The sad part is that I think they sound better right now than when I play them.

I often think outside the box.

Yet you seem be a great deal inside the box here, RusBob talking 'bout the scalloped and unscalloped ones of course.

Just wonder -

Would a guitar be more effectively affected by vibrations from music played on the same particular brand ?

Will the Hummingbird receive the best treat under influence of f.x. a looped Angie intro.

Will the Martin D-28 be best off with the vibes from songs like Blackbird or Mother Natures Son and does the rio-rose factor matter.

I'm all ears.

The sad part is that I think they sound better right now than when I play them.

laughing-019.gif

@E-minor7,

That is an interesting idea... I wonder if I could get my Marting to sound like a J 45? or maybe If I played my LG-0 directly into the Martin would it take on the mahogany tone?

Actually I think it has more to do with the specific frequency that an acoustic guitar plays at in general. I think that is why it responds best to Oscar Lopez and Leon Redbone (in that order). Lopez is very pronounced guitar and Redbone is probably next as far as pure guitar sounds. I will have to ask some of my friends if that have any guitar music.

Considering that we know that the more the instrument is played, the better it sounds. Also that the timber is alive, why not play music to it. I never thought of this before but I will be leaving the radio on all day when I go to work and see what happens. It can only be good for it, and can do no harm. I'm isold on the idea.

I have a PrimeVibe, I have used it on the acoustics that I bought new.

It has made a difference alright.

The first night I set it at the highest volume possible where it wasn't distorting and went to bed. Laying in bed I could just about make out the vocals and high frequencies. Very faintly.

The next day (after 24 hours of constant PrimeVibe) I went to bed and it was noticably louder.. I couldnt get to sleep so had to go and turn it down a little.

After a week of vibing I sat down to play and I noticed more base, more bell like vibrations and a louder top end.

The next day (after 24 hours of constant PrimeVibe) I went to bed and it was noticably louder.. I couldnt get to sleep so had to go and turn it down a little.

After a week of vibing I sat down to play and I noticed more base, more bell like vibrations and a louder top end.

Maybe that was the result of sleep deprivation......

After a week of 'vibing' I'm surprised that's the only effect, I'd have expected you to have dropped a few pounds, taken a massive shine to techno & drum n bass as well as using all the latest 'street' terms and telling us you were "'bouncing off those bangin' beats'" ;)

Seems a bit confused. Far easier to buy a guitar you like the sound of already.

There you go, Parlourman. Trying to get folks riled-up...Applying commonsense and logic to buying a guitar....lol....Hopefully most people still do this. I have nothing against Tonerite. I concede there may be something to it. I just don't like the idea that using it on the same guitar/s is a continuous process. It doesn't last. Plus, from what I read, it kills the strings. For folks who hear a real difference, then that is excellent, because it works for them. I hope it continues to work well for them. I'm just suspicious of things like this and massaging your guitar. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I just don't know if I believe it........ I suspect the day will come when we'll hear, "I want this guitar. It sounds like crap, but a month of my "Whatchamacallitthingamagig Thing" and it will be a real butt-kicker."

After a week of 'vibing' I'm surprised that's the only effect, I'd have expected you to have dropped a few pounds, taken a massive shine to techno & drum n bass as well as using all the latest 'street' terms and telling us you were "'bouncing off those bangin' beats'" ;)

Yep, 'Vibing' you heard it here first. Soon it will be added to the urban dictionary.

I'm suprised I didn't get picked up on my spelling of 'bass'

now go take a wee walk off a wee cliff haw haw [tongue]

Archived