Gibson Brands Forums

Wrigley...

Murph

I don't know what changes are coming, so I'm going to try to go to Wrigley one last time before the re-model.

I have a HUGE project of my own this summer, but hope to make the trip. I'm way down South, so it's a 2 day ordeal.

There is just something about being there for a day game. It's hard to explain.....

Seen the field but never went to a game. I've only been to Yankees, Mets and Orioles games. I thought they were all great. I do like our AAA team here in Buffalo. We are the farm team for the Blue Jays. The tickets are dirt cheap and the stadium is great.

They play an old timers game here once in a while. Years ago I got invited to the dinner the day before one game. I saw a lot of old great players, including Joe DiMaggio! My drunk buddy wanted to ask him something about Marilyn Monroe (can't say it here but it was bad). Fortunately for him I grabbed him before he went up to Joe. Joe had two huge bodyguards who would have beat the snot out of my friend!

Anyhow, hope you make it and have a lot of fun!

Have been going to Wrigley once or twice a season since I was a kid and it is a magical field. Nothing very great about the concession area under the seats and hopefully that is what they will improve. But you come in at street level, and then go up stairs to the seating areas and when you reach the top and first look out over that field it just makes your heart sort of skip a beat. Went to one of their first night games - but it was rained out before it ever started.

Also saw the Bears play NFL football there about 1966 or so. Field ran one end zone along the first base line, the other out at left field. They put extra bleachers up in right field and center. Only problem was if a player ran about three yards past the end zone they hit a brick wall.

Day games are the best - everyone skipping work or school to be there. But the field is really nice under the lights as well.

From what I've seen and heard on the news the new owners mostly want to improve the outside, the concession area, and put up some jumbo trons and add parking etc. Hopefully they will leave the field as is - a classic.

I've made a few pilgrimages to Wrigley myself for Cards/Cubs day games. One was the Cubs home opener many years ago. As Cards/Cubs is a "friendly" rivalry, they were always memorably fun trips, and actually being at historic Wrigley for these games is something I'll always remember.

Being on the main rail line, a day game at Wrigley is a one day (20 hr.) train ride adventure. We would catch the Amtrak in St. Louis at 4:30 a.m., pickup Cardinal fans along the way through southern Illinois, and by Springfield the gamers getting on were 50/50 Cards/Cubs. North of Springfield it was all Cubs fans. You can probably imagine what a party the train ride in itself was, and for some reason they wouldn't serve "drinks" on the train until 6:00 a.m.

We would arrive at Chicago Union Station about 11:00 a.m., and walk down to Berghoff's for lunch, then hop on the EL to Wrigley. After a quick stop at Murphy's Bleachers for a couple more beverages, it was off to the game. A "regulation" (9 inning) game would give you just enough time to backtrack to Union Station to catch the train back to St. Louis for a midnight arrival. Regardless of who won the game, the ride back was always much more "subdued" than the ride up.

I work in Elk Grove Village, so this would be fine with me too. :)

Actually moving to the burbs would make it a lot easier to go to more games. Traffic driving to a Cubs game is like a penance you have to pay to see the game and parking is ridiculous (finding any and paying for it). But to lose that field would really be a shame - a lot of ancient baseball history occurred there.

Actually moving to the burbs would make it a lot easier to go to more games. Traffic driving to a Cubs game is like a penance you have to pay to see the game and parking is ridiculous (finding any and paying for it). But to lose that field would really be a shame - a lot of ancient baseball history occurred there.

I agree, both Wrigley and Fenway should be on every fans' list of places to go before it's too late (and it gets late early in baseball!)

However, I can't escape the thought that a move slightly westward would be a boon for the franchise. Wrigley, as quaint and historic as it is, is a bit of a shackle to the team in many ways too.

Actually moving to the burbs would make it a lot easier to go to more games. Traffic driving to a Cubs game is like a penance you have to pay to see the game and parking is ridiculous (finding any and paying for it).

I just moved to the suburbs after living in the city for 7 years. I'm not looking forward to getting to cubs game. I sure loved being able to take the L to ballgames (or anywhere else in the city for that matter). At least i'm still by a metra line.

Archived