Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 12 string

duluthdan

Well, what can I say, I listen to a song like this and KNOW this guy has never been to Honduras, or lemme say, the REAL Honduras. Imagine Hank Williams (or Skip James for that matter) writing a song in Kauaʻi about being lonesome....

That guitar has come up here a before and I do not recall anybody really being able to figure out what model it was.

I swear I read somewhere though that Zevon's kid said that guitar was actually not his father's - that it was borrowed from humorist Dave Barry who played with the Rock Bottom Remainders starting in 1992. But I could be wrong about that - brain farts seem to be coming more and more common.

The Gibson price list has the J-200 Jr. 12 string listed in 1992.The retail was $1,799.00. The production numbers for 1992 show that they shipped : 17 in Vintage Sunburst

37 in Antique Natural

1 in Antique Ebony

They did make a bunch of J-200 12 strings but this isn't one of them. There is no binding on the neck and headstock. It's not a J-100 as it has crown inlays.

Loved Warren Zevon! Fantastic writer of uncommon songs.

I wouldn't doubt he had been to Honduras...at least Roland may have been!!

btw...that 12 string sounds terrible, to my ears. Not his playing, the guitar itself.

Archived