Gibson Brands Forums

Spotted a used J35 ad today

Joe M

I found a guy selling a used J35 on Acoustic Guitar Forum today. Didn't take long for somebody to decide they didn't like it. Problem is, the guy is asking quite a bit more for his used than I paid for mine brand new. He must have paid close to street price to ask what he is. Doesn't take a lot to find one brand new for less.

I found a guy selling a used J35 on Acoustic Guitar Forum today. Didn't take long for somebody to decide they didn't like it. Problem is, the guy is asking quite a bit more for his used than I paid for mine brand new. He must have paid close to street price to ask what he is. Doesn't take a lot to find one brand new for less.

Didn't take him long to decide he didn't like it.

Won't take him long to decide he's asking too much to sell it. [rolleyes]

I was in Guitar Center today I saw a guy buy the J-35 for MAP and pay tax on it [scared] played it a few minutes before him it was nice but as with most Guitar center guitars it had a few marks on it so I would class it as used.

I spotted that, too. And there's been one on eBay. Yes--he is asking too much for it--more than many have paid new.

I notice that some folks are literally catch and release type buyers. I've never done that, so I ain't sure about what drives such decisions. Perhaps they buy on an impulse? And sell on an impulse?

Granted, I have sold guitars when I was broke. I'm sure we will see more used 35s. But not because they aren't fine guitars. We will see them because of the oddities of human behavior.

I spotted an ad for a used one for £20 under the new price, I sent a polite 'that's not really how it works' message to the seller and got dogs abuse back... Loved it. Nothing like an irate seller who's peeved he can't get full retail back.

Muppet!!!!

I have "caught and released" a few of my guitars. I took a bath on them. Jim is right - it was impulse - and testament to the dangers of reading guitar forums :)

No NGDs for me for quite a while - and hopefully never. I like what I have and am recovering.

I actually bought a pre enjoyed J35 last week. Unlike these examples though, it was several hundred less than what I could purchase it for new, and of course not taxed, which saved an almost equal amount (13% in our province).

Most importantly however, I played 3 and this was the one that spoke to me the most. Win win!

I actually bought a pre enjoyed J35 last week. Unlike these examples though, it was several hundred less than what I could purchase it for new, and of course not taxed, which saved an almost equal amount (13% in our province).

Most importantly however, I played 3 and this was the one that spoke to me the most. Win win!

Dam !!! I missed out on a used J-35. In Canada no less . :(

I'm an hour and a bit east of KW.

Yep, sold privately by a guy in London. You'll get the next one!

Not sure what a fair used price would/ should be as there is nothing to gauge it by some models retain there value better than others. However with so many J-35's out there it's not like they are hard to come by.

Not sure what a fair used price would/ should be as there is nothing to gauge it by some models retain there value better than others. However with so many J-35's out there it's not like they are hard to come by.

standard is around 60%, given the guitar is recent, 65% perhaps 70 if you were being cheeky.... but 80 and above, or 90, ludicrous.

It's a reasonably wallet friendly standard production model which is currently available, there's nothing to support asking more than a standard resale of 60-65% +/-

standard is around 60%, given the guitar is recent, 65% perhaps 70 if you were being cheeky.... but 80 and above, or 90, ludicrous.

It's a reasonably wallet friendly standard production model which is currently available, there's nothing to support asking more than a standard resale of 60-65% +/-

Agreed I paid less than $1400 for mine new.

That takes it to about 900-950 using the general rule.... might get away with asking 1K on the nose (on a good day) above that you're paying over the odds if you ask me.

A pre-owned Montana Gibson for <$1000.

That's an amazing value to be had if you have a little patience.

Just noticed that the guy selling on AGF says he's sold his guitar, after he lowered the price to $1500 plus shipping. Still more than I paid for mine new.

I see Sal(theMissal) was the last person to send him a PM I wonder if he bought it, I know a while back he was gassing for one.

I'm with you, Brother. Neither you nor I need another slope. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

But Gibby definitely got our attention with this new version at this new price point. Very savvy market strategy. It makes resistance almost futile.

Note that I said "almost."

• 4 months later...
Guest J-Doug

There was a "used" (looked brand new to me) one at Long and McQuade here in Ottawa. About $300 less than new. Asked the salesdude and he said the guy who bought it new returned it within the 30 day return period. It was there 2 Saturdays ago.

Archived