Gibson Brands Forums

a little..upset. well. just a little

crust

So,I ordered an Epiphone ES-355 (Pelham Blue)from ZZounds in July 2012. It was on backorder. I just got (as a gift from my oldest son) a Squier Affinity Strat. Nice guitar. He had no idea I had a Epiphone on backorder. I cancelled my order from ZZounds yesterday. Do you think a year is too long to wait for a guitar ? 6 months ? 3 ? How long is too long ? Good things come to those who wait, but how long ?

Sorry Epiphone, maybe I'll reorder it again when it is actually available...in another year...lol

Try getting a specific "Rickenbacker!" (1 to 2 year wait, on some models)

As to an Epiphone ES-355? I think they've been discontinued, some time ago?

(But...Maybe not, I can't keep up, with all of Gibson's/Epiphones "limited"

editions, and/or "short=limited run," models, anymore!) [tongue][unsure]

CB

Try getting a specific "Rickenbacker!" (1 to 2 year wait, on some models)

As to an Epiphone ES-355? I think they've been discontinued, some time ago?

(But...Maybe not, I can't keep up, with all of Gibson's/Epiphones "limited"

editions, and/or "short=limited run," models, anymore!) [tongue][unsure]

CB

Ya, I was going to mention Rickenbacker, too, for dishing up long waits. I suppose theirs is a little different situation, though. I would say 6 months is about as long as anyone should expect to wait for a guitar that's in production. Any longer than that, and they shouldn't sell them, unless they are some sort of limited edition like the John Lennon.

What the shop says about the availability and what is the truth, these are different things.

In march 2013 I preordered Epi Expolorer Pro TV Silver in Thomann (Germany). The guitar was "not yet available" for some time, then the status changed to "expected on april 15th". Unfortunately, the guitar, unlike the others from TV Silver, din't come in time and changed status to "unavailable". I sent an email and got two answers, one, that it will be available on May 15th, second, in september (!). However, the guitar arrived on April 28th and I got it at the beginning of May.

and while the retailer holds YOUR money, they draw interest on it, and use it to inflate sales figures and available capital boosting their stock values.

I too have been given notice that a discontinued item was "on backorder" and when I cancelled my order it took literally 4 months to get my refund [cursing] .

retailers know exactly what they're doing !

I too have been given notice that a discontinued item was "on backorder" and when I cancelled my order it took literally 4 months to get my refund [cursing] .

It's interesting, I paid with credit card and it was charged exactly the day the guitar was sent from the shop.

All kidding aside, I don't think it's as much an Epi or other manufacturer as it is the retailer, whether brick and mortar or online.

I refuse to "buy" anything more than about $20 if it ain't en route to me immediately. (For what it's worth, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a guitar I can't play first, either, regardless of overall quality even if my own guitar picker brother had a chance to play it. It ain't the same. Besides, he loves his LP and I don't care for 'em, which shows how different pickers have different preferences.)

OTOH, I told the brick and mortar store down the Interstate that if they got in either an Eastman hollow or an Epi Joe Pass to call and I'd come runnin' if at all possible. They did, I did, and the Eastman plays quite nicely, thank you.

Meanwhile my "call when you get an Epi AE mandolin" at Sweetwater ain't brought the call and I'll wager they never got any in, either. They asked if I wanted to pay up front and I said, "No thanks, just call..." That's been well over a year ago.

m

an A/E Mandolin sounds like FUN !!

I got a Mando for bd # 12 and played it almost as much as my guitar for several years.

got in a tight spot & had to sell either it or the guitar......that reminds me, I never DID replace that mandolin.......... :-k

Bender...

<grin>

Actually I'm in the market... wanted that Epi. I've played one and it's quite nice for the price.

I have two others that are quite old. One is pre 1970 cheapie that's in pretty sad shape 'cuz it sat in the cheapie case since '76; the other was a handmade gift from a farmer-fiddlemaker friend that ain't really for playing, but it's pretty valuable in sentiment regardless that it literally has a formica fingerboard.

I still hope for the Epi AE. The A shape seems to get far better reviews at far less cash than the fancier bluegrass shape version too.

m

Archived