Gibson Brands Forums

Medium Strings

Ward

I’ve been playing guitar for 6 months and I have read up on this topic but wanted to get some opinions. While I’ve only been playing (electric and acoustic) for 6 months I’ve put a lot of time into it so not sure if beginner is quite accurate. Anyway, I’ve been experimenting with strings for months and for what its worth I like Elixirs and D’Addario (have not tried Martin yet). I now want to experiment with Medium strings on one of my acoustics – to date I’ve only used Lights. I have a Yamaha FX370C (six months old) and an Epiphone EJ200CE (two months old). I want to experiment with the deeper tone that can achieved with Mediums. And I know Mediums are harder to play when it comes to bending and hammer on’s etc. But I want to try it firsthand. And, I understand Mediums will increase tension. And I would prefer not taking my guitar to a shop for any adjustment – instead make any needed adjustments on my own – and I’ve studied how to make the adjustments. But I also don’t want to damage a guitar. Two questions. Would you recommend adjusting the truss rod before bringing the Medium strings in tune? Or, bring the strings in tune, see how the guitar accepts them, then adjust as needed? Secondly, what are the odds I will need to get a new nut – meaning one designed to accept Medium strings? Or would one expect most nuts to accept Mediums? The strings I’ve purchased are Elixir Mediums .013 - .056 80/20. Thanks in advance for any input. Ward

Wow that'll get some opinions. :) I guess it really comes down to sounds and feels good to your fingers and ears . I have a Luther here NC that feels D'addario's are best because they stay stable in tone and what not just made better I guess is the point but don't quote me ! ...

I've been a light 11's, extra light 10's user myself and I play hard sometimes. Since I just visited my Luther he gave me some D'add 12's and there good, heaviest I put on in years. Fingers hate it but the wow and flutter are much less ... less fret buzz.

As to the neck adjusts ..... man I get myself in trouble here but I never had to do any neck adjusts for string gauges never had it sound bad enough to warrant it. I had an old Yamaha fj312 custom set up and the action was at most 1/8 inch at the 12th fret never had issues with the neck and strings.

The 12's I just put my DR500mce has not noticeably moved the neck and I had it set up using lights . For strings I find the brands come and go to my ear . I have used elixirs and loved them but then they started sounding dull and also started breaking on the D and B string have no idea why all of a sudden and that was a few packs that did it . so I stopped and have not been back yet .

What I do like are the Erni ball earth woods man what a sound but they don't last long which is ok the price is right :) and the martins is what I have been using for the last yr until I got the D'adds

here's a piece I'm working on at www.twotrackmusic that I just recorded using mics now mind ya I ain't no pro or anything but these are the D'addario 12's about 3wks old

K forgot can't upload tunes here here's a link to the thread if you want a listen

http://www.twotrackmusic.com/forums/index.php?topic=5114.msg49806;topicseen#msg49806

Best of luck

Ags

As a mostly light fingerpicker, I actually have 9-42s on most of my AEs. DR Zebras or lately some "bought as individual strings" Elixirs in 9-42. On two big-body AEs used for flatpicking I also use quite light strings, almost inevitably Elixir Polyweb 10s.

I think there are different reasons different pickers use different gauge and type of strings.

My reason is that "loud" is not a priority, especially since mine are AE or I'm gonna be miked with the big boxes - and even when I flatpick, I'm awfully gentle compared to a lotta folks I've known.

Then again, note that all my "acoustics" really are AE. That covers a number of concerns ranging from general tone to my use of light strings and a light touch.

In theory even with the preamp on the AEs, I won't get the "tone quality" of bigger gauge strings. In practice I can do a lot more a lot more easily.

OTOH, the other guy may figure that's baloney and want as heavy a set of strings as possible for "tone" and to pound on.

Mother Maybelle Carter's big old Gibbie acoustic archtop wore the heaviest strings I've ever seen on a guitar. She had been using it since the old radio days when strong mids were needed. She also tended to capo it up and play it almost identically to how she played the autoharp with thumb and fingerpicks.

So... again, there are a lotta reasons for a lotta different string choices.

At your experience level, I personally think it's almost inevitable that you try new things, new ways, new concepts. And that's good while you find your own "way," at least for now. So... experiment away and watch some of the old timers play on Youtube in as many different ways as one might imagine.

m

As you have stated medium strings will be a bit harder on your fingers, but many people get used to it. I stick with .12-.53 Elixirs, which are considered lights, and don't find the medium make all that much difference in sound, perhaps a little, but for me not nearly enough to warrant harder action of playing. That is up to the individual.The most you will need to do is adjust the neck (truss rod) should the medium strings affect it, and they may not, but sometimes they do. But do not adjust the neck or the set up until after the medium strings are on and tuned up fully. A neck truss rod adjustment should only be done AFTER the strings are on and fully tuned to pressure, because this extra string pressure of the mediums, when up to tune, is what will determine how much or how little the neck would need to be adjusted. Martins do carry more tension, as do Phosphor Bronze strings as they are more dense (Hard) than 80/20 bronze, which is a slightly softer metal. Good luck.

I recently purchased a parlor guitar: Guild M-120e, it is 24 3/4" scale. Very squeaky guitar.

It came with factory Guild 12s. Action was a bit high, the store luthier tweaked the neck (tightened) a 1/4 turn.

Took it home and put on a mix of Elixers 11s and 12s. Sound was uneven Mids and highs ok but no lows, Very squeaky guitar still. Action still high, sanded down saddle 3/64th "

I turned around and put on a set of factory Guild 12s, they felt rough and in 4 days starting smelling l like

steel rusting and left a metallic odor on my fingers. ( the squeaks were almost like shrieks.) I was getting frustrated.

At this point I was thinking of returning the guitar. But I installed coated Cleartone 11s. A little less squeak on the fretboard.

But the strings were kinda of lifeless and dug into my fingers. Action still a bit high (for me)

Ok last chance I thought. I put on a set of Elixer nanoweb mediums .013 - .056. Over a period of 48 hours I tightened the truss rod a 1/4 turn twice. The squeakiness is pretty much gone. The tone and balance is very good and the guitar is easier to play for me than it was with the 11s.

As the elixers break in the guitar just sounds better and better. Also playability is outstanding. Who would have thought 13s would make such a difference?

Ok. I finally put on the mediums and all is good. Per GuitarLight's advise, I did not touch the truss rod prior to installing the mediums. I was very careful and brought the medium strings in tune over a 24 hour period. And now there is no noticeable bowing going on but I will keep an eye on it. So, perhaps no adjustment on the truss rod will be necessary. As to using mediums.......so far the playability is just fine. The tone is deeper and a bit louder. I guess I was expecting some big change - its a nice change but not a big deal. Having 2 acoustics I can have one with mediums and one with lights at my disposal. Thanks, Ward

Ok. I finally put on the mediums and all is good. Per GuitarLight's advise, I did not touch the truss rod prior to installing the mediums. I was very careful and brought the medium strings in tune over a 24 hour period. And now there is no noticeable bowing going on but I will keep an eye on it. So, perhaps no adjustment on the truss rod will be necessary. As to using mediums.......so far the playability is just fine. The tone is deeper and a bit louder. I guess I was expecting some big change - its a nice change but not a big deal. Having 2 acoustics I can have one with mediums and one with lights at my disposal. Thanks, Ward

Good luck w/ the 11's, Ward! [thumbup] Hope the transition to'em continues to go smooth.

I read that Brad Paisley(one of my guitar heroes) uses 11's on his Acoustics. I currently got 10's on my EJ but plan on switching to 11's once my fingers get roughed up a li'l more.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it will depend on your playing style mostly. I'm just a chord & riff guy so the "bending & Hammer-on" thing doesn't apply to me. I used medium's for years because of life-span but once I figured out the fact that if you clean off your string's and apply some Fast-Fret to them after your done playing they'll last 2 or 3 time's longer I went down to 12's. On my electric, I even have one of those cloth cover's that wraps around the head-stock/neck and attaches to the strap-peg at the bottom so the string's stay tightly covered when I'm not playing it.

My Gibson SJTV has the factory fitted Gibson Masterbuilt Premium Phosphor Bronze and they sound great though I don't know what gauge they are (anyone know). Great mids and lows although the highs could be a bit crisper. I put Martin Lifespan 80/20 11's on my J-180 and that does not sound so good; they sound a bit dead. I also tune my acoustics down half a tone and use a capo where needed especially playing with others who use standard tuning.

It depends what you are playing. I do a lot of country sort of stuff. Now a friend is into blues and has Ernie Ball 9's on his Yamaha because they give the sound he wants and he does a lot of bending, though he was suprised how easy my SJTV was to bend.

Bob

Archived