Gibson Brands Forums

SJ serial number

Bob Isaac

I just bought a Southern Jumbo True Vintage and have tried to decipher the serial number, but am confused. It is 11552011. Also the sn is not stamped on the back of the headstock on this. Great tone from this even with old strings on it. Not sure if factory strings are 11's or 12's. I think Gibson usually fit Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze strings on acoustics.

Thanks

Bob

DSC00495-2_zps51027934.jpg

It's a 2012. On the tv series I'm pretty sure they stamp it on the neck block

My SCSJ is stamped only on the neck block and not the head stock. It is also a 2012. I'm not sure if that's true for all 2012 guitars or not. I think my AJ is. 2012 also and it is stamped on the back of the headstock, but it may be a 2011. I'll check.

BTW, Beautiful guitar. Congrats!

Rich

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Bozeman Plant , MA, USA

June 4th, 2012

Production Number: 11

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

So they don't count the 29 February in leap years, then? I'd venture that the guitar was born on 3 June last year. In either case, it has just had its first birthday. Looks gorgeous. Congratulations.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Beach Bum Big M said:

I just got may dad's Gibson acoustic guitar after he passed. The serial number is inside the body and it looks like it reads 0103 15. Can you help me out with year/model?

It could be 1961, but we need to see a picture of the guitar to tell you anything more than that.

Welcome to the forum.

I am a bit confused by the info.  If it is a straight six digit number it would mean , as noted, a guitar built in 1961 or possibly in the 1970s.  But I would expect it to be on the back of the headstock.  So where in the body is the number.

4 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am a bit confused by the info.  If it is a straight six digit number it would mean , as noted, a guitar built in 1961 or possibly in the 1970s.  But I would expect it to be on the back of the headstock.  So where in the body is the number.

That could be very early in 1961, before they made the transition from ink-stamping inside to embossing on the back of the neck. If numbers started at 0100 in early '61, 0103 could be among the first few guitars.

We really need to see a picture of the guitar to understand what he has, which might make it easier to understand the FON, since that seems to be formatted as an FON.

11 hours ago, j45nick said:

That could be very early in 1961, before they made the transition from ink-stamping inside to embossing on the back of the neck. If numbers started at 0100 in early '61, 0103 could be among the first few guitars.

We really need to see a picture of the guitar to understand what he has, which might make it easier to understand the FON, since that seems to be formatted as an FON.

True 'dat.  I thought about an FON with the batch number and rack number but no matter how you configure it the number does not seem to work.  So a transition guitar makes more sense.