Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Pickup problem

IanHenry

Hi,

I know that this is a minor issue, and there's no way to fix it, but to me it's very irritating. The other day I put Boiled Linseed oil on the fretboard of my pristine ES 335, and accidently got some onto the neck pickup off the cloth that I was using. When I wiped it off, I found it had softened the plastic coating on the pickup cover (I didn't even know there was a plastic coating!). It remained slightly sticky for a couple of days, but it's now hardened and left a slight imperfection on the pickup, it's small and you probably wouldn't see it if you didn't know it was there. I doubt I could repair it without making the situation worse, and it certainly doesn't merit replacing the pickup, but I thought I would mention it as a warning to others.

Regards,

Ian

Plastic coating on a 335 pickup cover? Never seen that. Are you sure it's not just the hardened oil?

Well it looks like melted plastic, I didn't want to scratch it for fear of making the situation worse, I'll be pleased if it is just hardened oil.

Ian.

Ok Searcy, I took the plunge and scratched at the offending area, and you were right, it came off! Thanks for the suggestion, my 335 in pristine again. It really looked like some kind of plastic coating that had melted slightly.

Regards,

Ian.

I worked here in English, found words new to me. It was interesting in this thread. It's not often that learning a language is an interesting. Even a little a pity, Searcy figured out so fast, now it is necessary to look for another adventure story [crying] .

What is linseed oil? What does it do on the fretboard?

Linseed oil does a very good job of oiling the fretboard, far better than Lemon oil in my opinion. I used to use it as a kid on my Cricket bat, but make sure you use the boiled variety.

Ian.

Archived