Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! :)

Riptide

Happy NGD. How does she play and why is she not with you?

Thanks! She plays really well! Probably a little better then my LP Junior... and I picked her up for $300! [biggrin] I have a hard touch so I was having a little trouble not pushing notes out of tune with the big frets, that's just me though.

My brother is going to do some (hopefully) cool cosmetic stuff on it plus he wants to learn so I figured what not leave it with him for a while and see how it goes?

Excellent choice!

Not trying to start a fight here, but I personally think that the quality of the LTDs (at least the mid-high range models) are on par with USA Gibsons. Better than Epiphone IMHO. And I think the standard ESPs are on par with the custom shop Gibsons, and beyond.

These days, Bruce Kulick (who is one of my favorite guitarists, being a KISS freak and all!) can be seen with an LTD Viper at times, when he plays with Grand Funk Railroad, Eric Singer Project (ESP!), and the various other projects he does.

And Phil X uses a bastardized Viper!

Good enough for Bruce, Phil, good enough for me!

Excellent choice!

Not trying to start a fight here, but I personally think that the quality of the LTDs (at least the mid-high range models) are on par with USA Gibsons. Better than Epiphone IMHO. And I think the standard ESPs are on par with the custom shop Gibsons, and beyond.

These days, Bruce Kulick (who is one of my favorite guitarists, being a KISS freak and all!) can be seen with an LTD Viper at times, when he plays with Grand Funk Railroad, Eric Singer Project (ESP!), and the various other projects he does.

And Phil X uses a bastardized Viper!

Good enough for Bruce, Phil, good enough for me!

I wasn't going to walk down that path but I completely agree with you! :) TBH, if I was handed this guitar and my Gibson Jr without any logos I'd say the LTD was a more expensive guitar with a better feel and and higher quality cosmetics. Now when it comes to tone it's not as good as a Gibby but I'd say the same or better then an Epi.

I love Phil X! I think he's one of the best guitarists ever [biggrin] (personal opinion) he's why I got the guitar... it's the same model as his two :) Obviously he has different cosmetics and he takes out the neck pup but other then that I think the only thing he changes is the bridge pup. From what I've looked into he uses his pickups, Gibson P94s and SD Alnico IIs. I'm a bit of a Phil X geek if you couldn't tell... I think it's funny that he has really expensive guitars ('56 Goldtop, VOS SG, Yamaha SGs) and he still used his Viper 301s :o [biggrin][lol]

nice guitar w/endless possibilitys Rip !!

StewMac sells low priced radiused sanding blocks....one of those & a $15 "fret file bit set" (also stewmac) and you can take those frets as low as you want them.

I also have a very heavy touch, and tall frets just wreck me.

nice guitar w/endless possibilitys Rip !!

StewMac sells low priced radiused sanding blocks....one of those & a $15 "fret file bit set" (also stewmac) and you can take those frets as low as you want them.

I also have a very heavy touch, and tall frets just wreck me.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out!

Archived