Gibson Brands Forums

New machine heads(tuners)

20_Gauge

I changed my machine heads on my Epi G400 custom LP for Gibson tuners, as the originals were loose and old looking. Basically I bought a hand reamer, took out the old machine heads. Then by trying and fitting got the first tuner in. Then making sure I had got the level right I gaffer taped the reamer, so I had a guide for the next hole ready. Then I just repeated the process 5 more times. It's advisable that you put the holes in slowly, do NOT rush the job, or you will end up taking too much out of the holes, as reamers tend to go through wood like butter. Nice and steady and it will be fine. Here is what you need:

reamer500.jpg

there are lots of inexpensive HAND drills out there these days & every Wal-Mart/Lowes/Home-Depot/Ace etc. has them.

i'd use a hand drill for the screw-holes to minimize risk to your headstock.

also, be certain you mark your bit with at least masking tape as a "depth stop" so you don't drill too deep.

interesting gadgets.....I still use my Grand-Daddys 1929 #1 Craftsman hand drill almost every time I work on a guitar.

GarysCam218.jpg

I am not sure what the LP Jr tuners look like, but you may be able to find a set you like that has the same mounting holes (I put a set of Grovers on Ruby that were exact). But if you must drill, it isn't that big of a deal. I could help you do it if you like, I know you live nearby. If you don't have a church home, come by Calvary Assembly (Knight Boxx and Blanding) tomorrow morning at 10:30 and introduce yourself, I'm the bass player.

there are lots of inexpensive HAND drills out there these days & every Wal-Mart/Lowes/Home-Depot/Ace etc. has them.

also, be certain you mark your bit with at least masking tape as a "depth stop" so you don't drill too deep.

I would just add that you want to choose the bit size carefully. Hold the bits next to one of the tuner screws and select one that is the same size as the inside diameter of the screw thread (inside diameter is smaller than the outside). That gives the screw enough wood to bite without having to fight to get it in and risk stripping the head.

I'd go with a drop in replacement if possible to avoid drilling (and needing to fill in the old holes), but sometimes that's not an option.

I would just add that you want to choose the bit size carefully. Hold the bits next to one of the tuner screws and select one that is the same size as the inside diameter of the screw thread (inside diameter is smaller than the outside). That gives the screw enough wood to bite without having to fight to get it in and risk stripping the head.

I'd go with a drop in replacement if possible to avoid drilling (and needing to fill in the old holes), but sometimes that's not an option.

Yeah drilling is a last option, would much rather find a drop in replacement.

I am not sure what the LP Jr tuners look like, but you may be able to find a set you like that has the same mounting holes (I put a set of Grovers on Ruby that were exact). But if you must drill, it isn't that big of a deal. I could help you do it if you like, I know you live nearby. If you don't have a church home, come by Calvary Assembly (Knight Boxx and Blanding) tomorrow morning at 10:30 and introduce yourself, I'm the bass player.

Hey spam, the tuners on my Jr are in great shape. My wanting to swap'em is pretty much for aesthetics. I've thought about it over & over since startin' this thread & kinda figure since they don't NEED changing, I'd be better to leave well enough alone for now.

Thanks for the offer to help, if I change my mind & wanna do this I'll let ya know & maybe we can work somethin' out.

Yeah I go to Black Pond Baptist(on Old Jennings).

Ya play Bass in church, that's awesome. Bein' able to play my guitar on Sunday mornings is my ultimate goal.

I realise you've changed your mind about swapping out your tuners but, in case you change your mind again, don't buy Wilkinson keystone tuners. I bought a Trev Wilkinson designed Vintage V100 (LP style) guitar and it was great except for the keystone tuners. The shop swapped them out three times but every set rattled while I was playing. In the end we fitted Wilkinson Grover style tuners which were fine, and I prefer them anyway. Wilkinson keystones are well known rattlers. Avoid.

I realise you've changed your mind about swapping out your tuners but, in case you change your mind again, don't buy Wilkinson keystone tuners. I bought a Trev Wilkinson designed Vintage V100 (LP style) guitar and it was great except for the keystone tuners. The shop swapped them out three times but every set rattled while I was playing. In the end we fitted Wilkinson Grover style tuners which were fine, and I prefer them anyway. Wilkinson keystones are well known rattlers. Avoid.

Thanks for the advice, jonny! [thumbup]

good advice that I forgot to relay....

good catch there Vic !!

also, a drop of liquid soap, or bar soap rub make drilling/screwing MUCH easier.

I replaced the stock tuners on my G400 with gibson deluxe tuners. The holes didn't quite line up so I took it to my set-up guy and he put them in for me for like $10. I wasn't about to put holes in a guitar myself, best to leave it to an expert.

They work great by the way, I would recommend them.

I replaced the stock tuners on my G400 with gibson deluxe tuners. The holes didn't quite line up so I took it to my set-up guy and he put them in for me for like $10. I wasn't about to put holes in a guitar myself, best to leave it to an expert.

They work great by the way, I would recommend them.

Thanks for weighin' in, deeman.

Yeah I think if I do it, I'll end up takin' it to my local shop(where I got the bridge(action) on my EJ lowered).

Not sure which Jr. you have. I had a '57 Jr. I changed the tuners out with Grover Vintage Green Keystones. I really liked how they turned out. They were a drop in tuner except for the fact that I had to drill 12 new holes in the back or the screws that hold the tuners in place. If you do this make sure that you use masking tape before you drill. The tape will help prevent chipping, I had none. This is how they looked. One thing about these tuners, the original screw hole on the back of the headstock was not totally covered. About 85% was though. This may or may not bother you. I don't have a pick of the back of the tuners on my Jr, but I do on the back of my G-400. If you look closely you can see a little of the hole under the bottom of the tuners, I used the same tuners. The Grovers that I put in are the same as the Gibsons, but cheaper. The only difference is that they say Grover instead of Gibson.

Jr.

57JRRITuners.jpg

G-400

SG002-1.jpg

Not sure which Jr. you have. I had a '57 Jr. I changed the tuners out with Grover Vintage Green Keystones. I really liked how they turned out. They were a drop in tuner except for the fact that I had to drill 12 new holes in the back or the screws that hold the tuners in place. If you do this make sure that you use masking tape before you drill. The tape will help prevent chipping, I had none. This is how they looked. One thing about these tuners, the original screw hole on the back of the headstock was not totally covered. About 85% was though. This may or may not bother you. I don't have a pick of the back of the tuners on my Jr, but I do on the back of my G-400. If you look closely you can see a little of the hole under the bottom of the tuners, I used the same tuners. The Grovers that I put in are the same as the Gibsons, but cheaper. The only difference is that they say Grove instead of Gibson.

Jr.

57JRRITuners.jpg

G-400

SG002-1.jpg

Cool jc!

Mine is just a regular(I guess) Epi LP Jr, no special edition or anything like that. Those are some awesome lookin' tuners, they look great on your LP by the way. Those are the exact ones I was plannin' to get, either those or the Round Button style tuners(like the ones that come on the Gibson LP Jr). Both styles have the same backing/screw positions. Good to know those Grover Keystones dropped right in & all ya had to do is drill new holes for the screws. If that all I hafta do I'll be ok, I just don't feel comfortable enlarging/reaming out the pegholes.

If/when I decide to do it, I'm gonna order a set & just remove 1 tuner & see if the new ones drop right in.

Much the same, here's how my G400 turned out with the gibson deluxe tuners.

Nice looking tuners. Is the hole in the back for an occasional drop of oil? And by the way, did you trim off the ends of those strings? :-)

Not sure which Jr. you have. I had a '57 Jr. I changed the tuners out with Grover Vintage Green Keystones. I really liked how they turned out. They were a drop in tuner except for the fact that I had to drill 12 new holes in the back or the screws that hold the tuners in place. If you do this make sure that you use masking tape before you drill. The tape will help prevent chipping, I had none. This is how they looked. One thing about these tuners, the original screw hole on the back of the headstock was not totally covered. About 85% was though. This may or may not bother you. I don't have a pick of the back of the tuners on my Jr, but I do on the back of my G-400. If you look closely you can see a little of the hole under the bottom of the tuners, I used the same tuners. The Grovers that I put in are the same as the Gibsons, but cheaper. The only difference is that they say Grover instead of Gibson.

Jr.

57JRRITuners.jpg

G-400

SG002-1.jpg

Here's a pic of my Jr's headstock that I took when I changed the truss rod cover:

2013-07-25_21-04-11_981_zpsc3d78278.jpg

IMG_0958_zps4d64900c.jpg

IMG_0957_zpsab55c85a.jpg

Much the same, here's how my G400 turned out with the gibson deluxe tuners.

Those look great, dee!

I found some black Keystones for like $26 that I might get when I decide to try this.

I'm lookin' to get a small hand drill for this project though. Would feel more comfortable using that, I'm kinda dangerous usin' powertools when doin' somethin' delicate. [laugh]

interesting gadgets.....I still use my Grand-Daddys 1929 #1 Craftsman hand drill almost every time I work on a guitar.

GarysCam218.jpg

Hey Bender, just found(& bought) a Millers Falls No. 77 Hand Drill for $18 on eBay.

Thanks fo the "hand drill" tip! I'll feel much more comfortable drilling holes w/ this vs a power drill(I has a heavy finger [laugh] ).

Question: I'm assumin' changing bits is the same on a hand drill as with a power drill, correct?

Here's the ebay listing pic of what I just bought:

handdrill_zps93a29539.jpg

Nice looking tuners. Is the hole in the back for an occasional drop of oil? And by the way, did you trim off the ends of those strings? :-)

I never noticed the holes. That is a good question. Also I usually trim strings but this is my backup guitar so I don't spend as much time on it as I should

Yeah, I've noticed them holes on those type of tuners also & was wondering the same thing.

Archived