Gibson Brands Forums

A very interesting comparison....

onewilyfool

As some of you know I recently trades some Martins for some Gibsons. I traded two Beautiful Martins , which went to truly the perfect players, for two Gibsons, which have really become my favorite guitars. I don't usually do this, have two so similar guitars....that have turned out to be sooo dis-similar!!! First up was the AJ, short scale, Mahogany (kind of like a J-45TV with AJ appointments (from everything I can read up on it), and the second is the J-45 Pure Voice Adi/Hog (This guitar I can't find too much info on) The AJ, is bright, woody, percussive bassy, and LOUD. It has a "RAW" sound to it, the Gibson Growl that we all have come to know and love. Did I mention it is loud? Also, I like to do a lot of "percussive" playing where I mute the strings and use the guitar as a rhythm/drum sound in the song. BEST guitar I've ever had for this type of playing. This has got to be my favorite Gibson, that is, until the J-45 PV came along. Acoustically, the PV has a piano like sound. Very even across the strings, BUT I think it has even more Bass than the AJ. And that is saying a lot. Highs are more scintilating than on the AJ, sound is more refined than the AJ, and has a soft even strumming that is just a joy, but I can really attack it strum-wise and it will not distort. I mainly got this for the PV pickup, but am truly blessed with the acoustic presence on this wonderful guitar. I know you can't make blanket statements about models/brands, but if you get a chance to try either one of these, please do. All Gibson Jumbos are NOT created equal, and each guitar on it's own merit disclaimer added of course. I think they are both discontinued, but they come up used now and then and are worth a look/see.

I too, recently went from the Martin camp into the Gibson camp. Martins are wonderful guitars but I was becoming dis-interested in the Martin sound(I had many Martins over the years). I really like the clarity of the Gibson voice... I think my aging ears like it better, as the Martins were sounding a bit muffled to me.. I now have a 45 natural, 45 TV, and a 35. Each has its own distinctive voice, but all pure Gibson..

My first good acoustic guitar was a new Gibson J45 Cherry burst in 1963. I traded a Rickenbacker electric for it. My bandmates thought I had lost my mind..

RB

I too, recently went from the Martin camp into the Gibson camp. Martins are wonderful guitars but I was becoming dis-interested in the Martin sound(I had many Martins over the years). I really like the clarity of the Gibson voice... I think my aging ears like it better, as the Martins were sounding a bit muffled to me.. I now have a 45 natural, 45 TV, and a 35. Each has its own distinctive voice, but all pure Gibson..

My first good acoustic guitar was a new Gibson J45 Cherry burst in 1963. I traded a Rickenbacker electric for it. My bandmates thought I had lost my mind..

RB

OWF - the "Pure Voice" is Gibson's marketing title for the Trance Amulet Mono. They can be had for about $300, and with the new instructions and tape installation, it can even be self-installed. I had one of my amulets pop-off on the road, got some of the tape from Trance, a piece of cardboard, a siccors and 2 golf tees, and re-installed it - piece of cake. I can relate to the Martin trade-off thing - year and a half ago I had 3 Martins, and one Gibson, not 2 Martins, and 4 Gibson's - and looking to add more as soon as I can figure out how to sell my wife's piano without her finding out...

Intrigued by your short-scale AJ - I love the short-scale - do you suppose these can be found w Rosewood ?

OWF - the "Pure Voice" is Gibson's marketing title for the Trance Amulet Mono. They can be had for about $300, and with the new instructions and tape installation, it can even be self-installed. I had one of my amulets pop-off on the road, got some of the tape from Trance, a piece of cardboard, a siccors and 2 golf tees, and re-installed it - piece of cake. I can relate to the Martin trade-off thing - year and a half ago I had 3 Martins, and one Gibson, not 2 Martins, and 4 Gibson's - and looking to add more as soon as I can figure out how to sell my wife's piano without her finding out...

Intrigued by your short-scale AJ - I love the short-scale - do you suppose these can be found w Rosewood ?

Dan, I think RAR knows something about these special run AJ's, some Store in Indiana had them made. I think they were made in Rosewood, Maple and Mahogany. I've never seen one before I traded for this one.

Hi OWF!

Congrats on your recent purchase of the J45 PureVoice Custom...I got to play several of those last year, and each one was an incredible guitar.

DuluthDan is absolutely correct about the Trance Audio/PureVoice connection. This pickup is just a re-branded Trance Audio MVT, our new mono system with a soundhole-mounted volume and tone control.

You can buy an Amulet M system (complete with high-quality electronics) starting at $279. These can be easily installed yourself with no messy glues or adhesives, saving you the price and time of having to have it professionally installed, AND we provide the necessary simple installation tools with the system.

Check out pur website at:

www.tranceaudio.com

There's also lots of information on our "vault" page about our systems, and acoustic pickips and amplification in general.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have, and we'll be happy to help you outfit your instrument.

Glad you're enjoying the system!

Cheers,

Gary/Trance Audio

Hi Gary, thanks...I think you guys are over in Santa Cruz CA, right? Can I come over and have you guys install one for me on one of my other guitars???

Hi OWF!

Congrats on your recent purchase of the J45 PureVoice Custom...I got to play several of those last year, and each one was an incredible guitar.

DuluthDan is absolutely correct about the Trance Audio/PureVoice connection. This pickup is just a re-branded Trance Audio MVT, our new mono system with a soundhole-mounted volume and tone control.

You can buy an Amulet M system (complete with high-quality electronics) starting at $279. These can be easily installed yourself with no messy glues or adhesives, saving you the price and time of having to have it professionally installed, AND we provide the necessary simple installation tools with the system.

Check out pur website at:

www.tranceaudio.com

There's also lots of information on our "vault" page about our systems, and acoustic pickips and amplification in general.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have, and we'll be happy to help you outfit your instrument.

Glad you're enjoying the system!

Cheers,

Gary/Trance Audio

Hi OWF!

I'm sorry, but we don't do installations here at Trance Audio.

HOWEVER...

I'm not kidding when I say that you can do the installation yourself (imagine me pointing my finger here for extra emphasis). It's seriously easy if you follow our very well documented procedure. It doesn't involve messy adhesives or superglue (!!??!?!) that might get on your guitar and ruin the finish, and we include the necessary clamp and beautiful personalized Trance Audio golf tees (don't leave home without 'em) when you buy a system from us. Doing the installation yourself will save you a fair amount of time and money, and provide you with a true sense of smug self satisfaction.

Here's a link to our illustration-laden installation manual:

http://www.tranceaudio.com/manuals/TranceTemplateInstall.pdf

Now, if you don't want to do the installation yourself and if you're in the SF Bay area, you can check with Tall Toad Music in Petaluma, or Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. They are both excellent establishments, and dealers and installers of our systems. They both also have many fine guitars that you absolutely cannot live without, so don't bring any more money than you are prepared to spend. Seriously.

Cheers,

Gary

First up was the AJ, short scale, Mahogany (kind of like a J-45TV with AJ appointments (from everything I can read up on it)...

Wily, I think it's more accurate to think of the short-scale hog AJ as a Fuller's J-35 with AJ appointments. The Fuller's J-35, J-45 TV, and short-scale hog AJ all share the wide x top bracing, but the J-45 TV has higher and thinner back braces. The Fuller's J-35 and the short-scale hog AJ have the low and heavy back braces.

Glade you got two such great slopes.

Red 333

Hi Jamie:

We don't have any Canadian dealers, but you can buy a system directly from us.

Like most pickup manufacturers, we aren't set up to provide installation services, but we're happy to answer any questions you or your local luthier/guitar repair person might have about installation and about our systems.

Please feel free to email or call us!

Cheers,

Gary/Trance Audio

Wily, I think it's more accurate to think of the short-scale hog AJ as a Fuller's J-35 with AJ appointments. The Fuller's J-35, J-45 TV, and short-scale hog AJ all share the wide x top bracing, but the J-45 TV has higher and thinner back braces. The Fuller's J-35 and the short-scale hog AJ have the low and heavy back braces.

Glade you got two such great slopes.

Red 333

Good to know...Red, you have one of these in Maple right, if my memory serves me well???? All I knonw is this one is LOUD.....also has bound fretboard, which I like the looks of......

Good to know...Red, you have one of these in Maple right, if my memory serves me well???? All I knonw is this one is LOUD.....also has bound fretboard, which I like the looks of......

Yep. I have a a maple one. I haven't measured it, but the fretboard on mine feels wide-ish. Is yours?

Red 333

Yep. I have a a maple one. I haven't measured it, but the fretboard on mine feels wide-ish. Is yours?

Red 333

The spec says 1.77"...I MEASURE mine at 1/32" over 1 3/4", so a little wide...My L-20 is 1 13/16", my widest Gibson nut width. I actually like that 1.77" on the AJ SS, VERY comfy for my hands...

Archived