Gibson Brands Forums

1960 Tribute Plus Top Reboot!

poopcicle

Hey everyone, Just got my 1960 Tribute back from the shop! I was in love with it before but decided to give it a little attention and class it up a bit! [tongue] So here she with a little extra love attached, new Tone Pro bridge, bone nut and Grover Vintage Tuners!!! along with the fresh set up and strings she is really singing!

IMG_0385_zps53b519ad.jpg

IMG_0384_zpsac993a45.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsdcfb4126.jpg

IMG_0381_zps2591b277.jpg

Beautiful! I love mine too. I get compliments at church all the time about the looks and tone. Any special reason you changed some of the hardware? Just curious.

I changed the bridge because it was goof balled and is prob the weakest link on the stock model! The nut I changed for the benefit of hand cut bone over the cheap plastic that came on the guitar and the tuners were totally just for looks! I love the vintage style way more ! I intend to swap out the ones on my wildkat and dove pro as well! [thumbup]

Hi Poopsicle,what a coincidence,I just posted in another thread a few minutes ago that the absolute best Les Paul that I ever played was an Epi 1960 Tribute. The guitar had one of the most striking and evenly bookmatched maple tops that I've ever seen and the neck felt just like the original "fretless wonder" and of course the sound just nailed the original PAF tone.The guitar was just over $1000 but since I had bought 3 Epis and a couple of amps already in the previous year,to buy that Les Paul would be inviting getting neutered by the Missus...lol.Enjoy!!!!

BTW: If you ever get tired of her,I'd gladly make room for her in my music room.

the absolute best Les Paul that I ever played was an Epi 1960 Tribute. The guitar had one of the most striking and evenly bookmatched maple tops that I've ever seen and the neck felt just like the original "fretless wonder" and of course the sound just nailed the original PAF tone.The guitar was just over $1000

A thousand dollars for an Epi Tribute? That's kind of high.

A thousand dollars for an Epi Tribute? That's kind of high.

He is from Canada ehh! Possibly higher pricing and taxes! Bonzoboy I officially amended my will, you are the sole beneficiary of my 1960 LP Tribute Plus Top! [thumbup]

I just picked up my new Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus. and it sounds great. I was very unhappy when I went to tune it up and it did not have the grover locking tuners. ??? what the heck? I That was one of the sellig points for me (as I was also considering the plus top pro with the burstbucker pick ups)

any one else have this?

I was pretty nervous ordering a guitar online, but it was from guitar center and the guitar they had in stock had been abused and the case was missing, so I had one shipped in from the warehouse. The store is going to get a call for sure !!!!

The guitar is beautiful, and sounds amazing. I tested this model against some of the 5 Gibson LPs at the store and it sounded as good as 2, better than 2 and very slightly inferior to a traditional pro.

hard to believe it the cheapest Gibby was the best sounding guitar of the 5 Gibson LPs we tried (it also sounds "better"than the traditional pro IIs with the boost circut).

jst so you know, all the guitars were played through the same amp & at the same settings for a "true" ear test. (however we did not break out the very high end heritage, custom or the slash custom in the glass case.)

Hello poopcicle,

congrats on your Epi 1960 Tribute Plus Reboot! [thumbup]

I am pleased with the stock parts of mine so far. OK, the locking tuners are chrome plated (what I prefer basically) whereas the other hardware and pickup covers are nickel plated, but I got acquainted to them.

As for the sound, my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus with the tone pots pushed is somewhere in between my Gibson Custom LP Standard and my Gibson USA LP Traditional 2013. They all seem to have '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus pickups, but the Epi has the additional four-conductor-wiring and comes with serial/parallel push/pull option what makes it more flexible. Interestingly my Custom Shop LP has the dullest dull note among all my LPs, the Traditional has definitely none, and the Epi is somewhere in between.

Among all the Les Paul guitars I know, the Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus is the biggest bang for the buck. Moreover, it is a great guitar regardless of price, too.

I just picked up my new Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus. and it sounds great. I was very unhappy when I went to tune it up and it did not have the grover locking tuners. ??? what the heck? I That was one of the sellig points for me (as I was also considering the plus top pro with the burstbucker pick ups)

any one else have this?

I was pretty nervous ordering a guitar online, but it was from guitar center and the guitar they had in stock had been abused and the case was missing, so I had one shipped in from the warehouse. The store is going to get a call for sure !!!!

The guitar is beautiful, and sounds amazing. I tested this model against some of the 5 Gibson LPs at the store and it sounded as good as 2, better than 2 and very slightly inferior to a traditional pro.

hard to believe it the cheapest Gibby was the best sounding guitar of the 5 Gibson LPs we tried (it also sounds "better"than the traditional pro IIs with the boost circut).

jst so you know, all the guitars were played through the same amp & at the same settings for a "true" ear test. (however we did not break out the very high end heritage, custom or the slash custom in the glass case.)

Congrats on your new purchase, timr1984!

As for the tuners, I would try to have clarified this. On the other hand, I don't know if I would wish to have them swapped. I think the self-locking Grovers on my Epi 1960 Tribute LP are OK but not really a big step ahead from the vintage tuners on two of my Gibson LPs.

Glad you're pleased with the sound. As I wrote in my previous post into this topic, these are great guitars and a real bargain.

Cheers,

capmaster

I agree Capmaster. Mine came with the locking tuners as well but there is just something about the vintage that screams Les Paul! The stock parts otherwise are mostly great, my bridge crapped the bed after a year but hey, great excuse to throw on a tonepro and upgrade it a notch. Does anybody know if the pots, switch and jack are Epis or cts and switchcraft? That may be my final go at it! I have no issue with the stock Epi hardware but on a couple other guitars it has been my experience that the epi switches and jacks have degraded/died before the other components and in some cases rather fast. I will most likely hold onto my 1960 Tribute for the rest of my life barring a zombie apocalypse, Nuclear Armageddon or world ending volcanic event! [flapper]:)

I like the "locking" tuners.

I also noticed that my guitar is much lighter than expected. per the spec sheets the tribute plus are to run between 16-19 lbs, but it appears that my guitar i weights in about 11 lbs. mmmmmmmmmm I wonder if I got a "chambered body" by mistake.

the scratched & dented tribute plus at the store weight a lot more than this guitar.

I am thinking before I get to far, I should just exchange this guitar for the tribute plus that is at the guitar center warehouse.

Hey everyone, Just got my 1960 Tribute back from the shop! I was in love with it before but decided to give it a little attention and class it up a bit! [tongue] So here she with a little extra love attached, new Tone Pro bridge, bone nut and Grover Vintage Tuners!!! along with the fresh set up and strings she is really singing!

IMG_0385_zps53b519ad.jpg

IMG_0384_zpsac993a45.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsdcfb4126.jpg

IMG_0381_zps2591b277.jpg

IMG_0385_zps53b519ad.jpg

IMG_0384_zpsac993a45.jpg

IMG_0383_zpsdcfb4126.jpg

IMG_0381_zps2591b277.jpg

your faded cherry finish looks amazing, so much better that the tribute at the local guitar center. if I had known this finish could look so good, I might have got that instead of the vintage sunburst

I agree Capmaster. Mine came with the locking tuners as well but there is just something about the vintage that screams Les Paul! The stock parts otherwise are mostly great, my bridge crapped the bed after a year but hey, great excuse to throw on a tonepro and upgrade it a notch. Does anybody know if the pots, switch and jack are Epis or cts and switchcraft? That may be my final go at it! I have no issue with the stock Epi hardware but on a couple other guitars it has been my experience that the epi switches and jacks have degraded/died before the other components and in some cases rather fast. I will most likely hold onto my 1960 Tribute for the rest of my life barring a zombie apocalypse, Nuclear Armageddon or world ending volcanic event! [flapper]:)

I know the pickup switch is a switchcraft but I don't know about the other controls. It has mallory tone caps in the tone pots and a nonrotating output jack. No idea who makes it though.

Timr, the Cherry sunburst was not my first choice!!! I wanted the Midnight Sapphire but it was what I could get my hands on at the time and I have no regrets, she looks beautiful and sounds it as well!

Thanks Lp121, like I said it sounds great and so far other than the bridge crapping out everything is top notch. I will have to dig a little deeper to see what the jack and pots are, I am totally fine with the Mallory caps as is!

I also noticed that my guitar is much lighter than expected. per the spec sheets the tribute plus are to run between 16-19 lbs, but it appears that my guitar i weights in about 11 lbs.

Whoa 16-19 lbs??? Where are you getting that? Is that the shipping weight? 11 lbs is actually on the heavy side for a LP.

Whoa 16-19 lbs??? Where are you getting that? Is that the shipping weight? 11 lbs is actually on the heavy side for a LP.

Mine is about 4.3 kilograms or circa 9 lbs 8 oz. Including case it weighs 7.9 kgs or approx. 17 lbs 7 oz, so it seems sensible that the shipping weight may range from 16 to 19 lbs.

I just picked up a new Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tibute Plus in Midnight Sapphire. What an amazing guitar. The electronics are all Gibson USA. I sent an e-mail to customer service asking what strings Epiphone put on this guitar and I was told the it came with Gibson Brite Wires. I have Grover tuners but not the locking Grovers. That doesn't bother me because this guitar is a tone monster. This guitar has the best neck of anything I have picked up and looked at in the past 2 years. The set up is perfect. Thanks to Tech number 13 for the great setup. The guitar may be made in China, but the setup is done in Nashville. The first Les Paul I owned was a 1957 Gold Top with humbuckers. This guitar sounds as good as that Gold Top and the neck is BETTER on the Tribute Plus. I always felt the 50's necks felt like clubs and MUCH prefer the 60's neck.

I just picked up a new Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tibute Plus in Midnight Sapphire. What an amazing guitar. The electronics are all Gibson USA. I sent an e-mail to customer service asking what strings Epiphone put on this guitar and I was told the it came with Gibson Brite Wires. I have Grover tuners but not the locking Grovers. That doesn't bother me because this guitar is a tone monster. This guitar has the best neck of anything I have picked up and looked at in the past 2 years. The set up is perfect. Thanks to Tech number 13 for the great setup. The guitar may be made in China, but the setup is done in Nashville. The first Les Paul I owned was a 1957 Gold Top with humbuckers. This guitar sounds as good as that Gold Top and the neck is BETTER on the Tribute Plus. I always felt the 50's necks felt like clubs and MUCH prefer the 60's neck.

Congrats David! Welcome to the Tribute club! [thumbup]

Archived