Gibson Brands Forums

Played a new Masterbilt today

rbpicker

I was visiting one the local shops and they have a rosewood slope shoulder Masterbilt in the store. It looks like it has been there for a long time, but I believe it is new. Plays very nice and sounds good. I think they were asking $500 for it. The shop is in Roseville, Michigan... Huber and Breese. Good shop, good people.

RB

I have a Rosewood Masterbilt slope shoulder advanced jumbo.... AJ-500R (rosewood).....utterly delectable in tone and play-ability. It's everything a rosewood should be. About a year after I got my AJ-500R...I decided to sell my $3500 Martin rosewood jumbo. With the Masterbilt rosewood sounding every bit as good, there was simply no need to keep the over-priced Martin, and so I decided to cash in on it. Masterbilt AJ models are cream of the crop....I also have an AJ-500M (mahogany) and a DR-500M ...All three are gems. In the future I may WANT other high priced guitars..but the fact is, I will never NEED another guitar as long as I have the Masterbilts. They are, and will remain, legendary for the price.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently picked up the master built DR – 500 MCE and must say I'm very impressed with it. I have a number of other Epiphones, some of them acoustics such as a dove and hummingbird. But this one is definitely in a class much above those. Not that the other ones are not fine instruments for the price, but this one is simply in a different category.

i find better clarity and definition. I lucked out and have no issues with finish or setup although new strings and some tweaking is in order when time permits.

I also have a DR-500MCE and your right it is really a great guitar, LIke you I also have an Epi Hummingbird and it is a truly great sounding guitar I agree. But the Masterbilt line...and the DR-500MCE in particular is as sweet and creamy sounding as any I've heard for any price! And they are in a class of their own! Congratulations!

Dont know if any one is interested, but I know where you can get a new Masterbilt DR500 ME NS for $134.99

The AJ500 ME is $124.99

Both have a few issues, but nothing serious at all

I bought my new Epiphone Hummingbird artist for $72.00, and my new PR5 for $74.00

I repaired the humming bird in less than 3 hours and the PR5 in about 15 min.

I think they have 1 each in stock last time I checked

Guess I should have noted, this is a shop not a private seller on the new Masterbilts

Archived