Gibson Brands Forums

Withdrawals while at the luthier - 1965 Epiphone Frontier

tvguit

I dropped this one off at the luthier for a bridge reglue and I'm really having withdrawals. 60s Gibson acoustics aren't as widely known for exceptional tone as earlier builds but this one really surprised me. 50s and earlier Gibsons seem to have this light, open and woody tone that is great for both fingerpicking and strumming as well. The older the make the lighter the build the more focus on fingerpicking than strumming.

This Frontier is a strummer through and through but in a good way. My 50s and 40s dreads can't do it as well as this one. The biggest surprise was the sheer volume- it's huge. I think that the long scale length and Maple back and sides on this Frontier really compliment the 60s Gibson build and make for a joy to play. Plus- look at that pickguard!!!

DSC_0077_zps1116ec82.jpg

DSC_0093_zps851e1735.jpg

DSC_0078_zpsd003919c.jpg

I recently got a 1966 Epiphone Cortez. That's the B25 equivalent. I was surprised how nice it sounds. Now I'd love to have a Texan, but the asking prices are crazy.

Really cool looking guitar you've got there!

Rich

Frontier is one of my holy grail guitars, glad to hear they get love around these parts.

I had a 64 caballero, probably the cheapest 60s gibson-made guitar you could find, and even that had an amazing balance of tone. Still kind of bummed I traded it, it was a perfect campfire strummer (thin neck though)

I recently got a 1966 Epiphone Cortez. That's the B25 equivalent. I was surprised how nice it sounds. Now I'd love to have a Texan, but the asking prices are crazy.

Really cool looking guitar you've got there!

Rich

The price of the Texan certainly depends on the year of the build. My favorite Texans are the "buyout period" versions. Those have Epiphone necks made by Epiphone before they were bought out. They were roughed to shape in Philly or NY and never used. Gibson bought Epiphone in '57 and acquired a bunch of parts including those necks. They stuck Gibson J-45/50 bodies on them and called it a Texan.

Here's Texan. It has some loose braces, a few cracks and a few loose braces which is minor stuff but I don't want strings on there with loose braces. It is waiting it's turn to go to the luthier. It was made (or joined, rather) in either late '57 or '58. The FON is Y indicating 1953 but the body was definitely built with the post- '55 straight bracing. The neck is a slight V shape and has the Epiphone "thrust rod."

DSC_0009_zpsb13cd480.jpg

DSC_0013_zps3574ddbe.jpg

DSC_0024_zps075cf0a1.jpg

The price of the Texan certainly depends on the year of the build. My favorite Texans are the "buyout period" versions. Those have Epiphone necks made by Epiphone before they were bought out. They were roughed to shape in Philly or NY and never used. Gibson bought Epiphone in '57 and acquired a bunch of parts including those necks. They stuck Gibson J-45/50 bodies on them and called it a Texan.

I agree 100%. The only FT-79s I like better are the pre-Gibson variety. These guitars have gotten a bit of notoriety as Jimi Hendrix owned an early 1950s FT-79 and supposedly worked out all of the songs for Electric Ladyland on it.

What is strange though is the last Epi FT-79s appear to have come out of the factory with dot necks and the metal bikini logo.

L1000868_zps5188de61.jpg

EpiphoneFT-79002.jpg

What is strange though is the last Epi FT-79s appear to have come out of the factory with dot necks and the metal bikini logo.

They did, and I do not have this thing figured out yet. All I've got are hunches. Those dot neck/bikini logo necks started appearing when they moved production to Philly. The neck on my guitar was probably destined to be an archtop judging by the inlay. That rectangular oval thing is usually found on the Devon model. When production left NY and went to Philly there might have been a surplus of already manufactured necks?

What is also interesting is the lining used in my Texan. It is unkerfed laminated Poplar (I think). The only other guitar I have seen that on is my 1954 Epiphone FT210 Deluxe Cutaway. Why would Gibson used leftover kerfing from Epiphone? That seems so strange but I'm lead to believe that in 1957/58, they did.

Last year Elderly had a late 1950s Gibson/Epi hybrid Texan in their "as is" section for $750. It was a mess cosmetically but supposedly needed no major work. I saw it and told myself I should buy it. I even called themn about it. Unfortunately in the week or so I was thinking about it the guitar had been snagged.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the Frontier!! When I hit the lotto I'm buying one (or two if I can find them!) On a side note, there are two on eBay right now -

A 1967 in the USA - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Epiphone-Frontier-Vintage-Acoustic-Guitar-/251266447747?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a80a5b983

A 1964 in the UK - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-EPIPHONE-FRONTIER-RARE-WESTERN-MOTIF-CACTUS-ROPE-PICKGUARD-FLAME-MAPLE-/130962847404?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e7dfe76ac

Wasn't the Frontier Mooseguy's holy grail?maybe I'm misremembering... I think he found a reissue...

He was talking about the Epiphone Excellente. That really is a holy grail!!! Rare and borderline mythical.

I recently got a 1966 Epiphone Cortez. That's the B25 equivalent. I was surprised how nice it sounds.

I too have a '66 Cortez, and have owned a '65 B25 as well as a '64 Cortez.

There are a few duds out there, but most deliver a pleasingly balanced tone.

Wasn't the Frontier Mooseguy's holy grail?maybe I'm misremembering... I think he found a reissue...

Hi Jannusguy

TVGit is right My Holy Grail in Epi Flat Tops is still the Excellente

followed by the Bozeman reissues of them followed by the Korean reissues which, by the way, are great guitars for the money. I sure love Frontiers also and

will probably own one some day.

P.S. GBase usually has several Frontiers at various times for sale-presently there are 4 available.

I dropped this one off at the luthier for a bridge reglue and I'm really having withdrawals. 60s Gibson acoustics aren't as widely known for exceptional tone as earlier builds but this one really surprised me. 50s and earlier Gibsons seem to have this light, open and woody tone that is great for both fingerpicking and strumming as well. The older the make the lighter the build the more focus on fingerpicking than strumming.

This Frontier is a strummer through and through but in a good way. My 50s and 40s dreads can't do it as well as this one. The biggest surprise was the sheer volume- it's huge. I think that the long scale length and Maple back and sides on this Frontier really compliment the 60s Gibson build and make for a joy to play. Plus- look at that pickguard!!!

DSC_0077_zps1116ec82.jpg

DSC_0093_zps851e1735.jpg

DSC_0078_zpsd003919c.jpg

I'm pretty certain he found a reissue... they are great looking guitars. And so is this Frontier.

Jannusguy and the other Forum members who dig Big pick guard guitars in particular

Thanks so much for your continued interest in my great Excellente hunt.

Not too long ago I did find the Holy Grail of the Bozeman Excellente reissues.

This is one is No.2 of a series of 9 that were ordered by a Japanese dealer and custom made for him. Mine is signed as made by Ren Ferguson & John Walker as I believe the others also are. Bozeman went on to line produce only another 13 before deciding to call it quits on the 250 originally planned for.

TVguit

I want to send you a photo of my BOzeman Excellente-what photo Bucket link do I use-if you yourself use photobucket? If not how should I send it?

Send a link to your photobucket album of the guitar to my email: tvguit@gmail

Archived