Gibson Brands Forums

Guild Acoustic Tour

JuanCarlosVejar

Well, Hogeye is a crusty fellow to begin with, and while I won't say he's disgruntled, he certainly falls somewhere in the less than fully gruntled category. Don't worry the guitars are still excellent. The company, however, needs to get its act together better.

Doesn't sound like any good news from here!

It highlights my concerns about a couple of the 'latest and greatest' models. I didn't think you could drop a price $1500 on a Jumbo and keep the same quality. Will they be like the Norlin LG1 with bits falling off in a short while and then the top sinking near the bridge and all that malarky?

My 2010 J45 is put together beautifully - absolutely flawless from my non-tech point of view - I'm sure people here could find fault but...and what I bought it for - great sound.

My Blues King is made about 2007 and while I love the sound, it wouldn't pass inspection with some of you guys. There is a slight gap at the end of the fingerboard and some glue showing; PG wrong; in a certain light I can see a part of the neck near the back of the nut that missed the sander and the same on the fretboard near the nut. This was my first Gibson acoustic and I have gained a bit more knowledge of what to look for from reading here!

I love all my guitars, or I would sell them, but of my lot, the 2 standouts fit and finish wise are my above mentioned J45 (Standard) and my latest buy - a National Resophonics M14 wood body resophonic guitar, and it was cheaper than my J45. My other National (Tricone) has a few finish flaws but sounds superb.

BluesKing777.

I still think we are in the golden age of Gibson guitars. Managers come and go but as long as the craftsman that actually build the guitars stay true to the course, Gibson will put out the instruments they are famous for.

Ren Ferguson and others created a renaissance for the acoustic division. Now it appears to be coasting on the momentum and perhaps partially adrift. I hope corporate finds a GM from within the industry and gets some people to replace the expertise they lost.

I cruised through the "Let's Talk Guild" forum and there seems to be less interest on this subject over there than there is here. There was a thread about this same video tour with a few "liked it" type comments and another thread started by a guy who had compared an Orpheum slope to some Gibsons. He described the Orpheum as surprisingly un-Gibson-like and seemed to prefer the Gibsons as having a stronger bass better for his fingerpicking style. I say Gibson has a lot of life left in it yet! Of course, I always believe that the only guitar that you can say is better or worse is one that you have actually picked up and played. There will be always be differences between individual guitars and the good ones are wherever you find them - the name on the head is not what it's about.

Gibson is still a great guitar and they will continue to be fine instruments. They will never get any better than they are now. I am selling mine because I can't afford to buy some of the very interesting guitars that are out there. The new Guild Ren is building sounds like a very interesting product. I just need to sell something to get something new. I have 9 J-45's.

There is no need to sell your Gibson Guitars. They are fine and will continue to be fine. They just won't have anybody to give them new product. They will continue to rehash all the old programs they are using. They will vary wood combos and colors to make you think they are bringing new product to the market. Nothing wrong with that. It will just be the same old stuff warmed over. All the variations of the J-45 should tell you that. The next thing they will unveil will be a J-45 with a red spruce and a sitka tone bar.

Here's something to think about. The folks here are weighing their guitars. I guess that's because there is a camp that is looking for the lightest Les Paul and now it is bleeding over to the acoustic market. Old acoustic guitars are lighter because they have had the time to dry out and outgas. If you set the top thickness and back thickness to thin the wood will crack faster and the guitar will become firewood. Anyone can build a guitar lighter. Just screw down the thickness sander. Do they sound better lighter? Yup. Will they have a shorter life? Yes.The J-35 is just a warmed over J-45 and they made it lighter to sound better. Does it? Yes. Will you see one in 25 years? Probably not. Hmmm...

Hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride. Feel free to discuss.

...and another thread started by a guy who had compared an Orpheum slope to some Gibsons. He described the Orpheum as surprisingly un-Gibson-like and seemed to prefer the Gibsons as having a stronger bass better for his fingerpicking style.

That guy is a buffoon.

Ren Ferguson and others created a renaissance for the acoustic division. Now it appears to be coasting on the momentum and perhaps partially adrift. I hope corporate finds a GM from within the industry and gets some people to replace the expertise they lost.

So Jerry...When you watched the Guild video did you see a remarkable likeness to the Gibson plant? Did you see the 28 foot parabolic dish sander? The body molds? Did you notice the firehose clamps? The clamps used to hold the top and back together while the glue dried? All of these are inovations that the folks at Gibson designed. Did you notice the 12th fret slope shouldered mahogany jumbo. It looks like Ren and Guild will out Gibson Gibson.

I might be crusty but I'm cute as hell.

While I'm probably the elder of we two, to read your writtin words Hogeye always causes me to envision my grandpa in the midst of one of his patented to the very point declarations ... always said with a kind of 'gottcha' twinkle in his eye!

'Course he was the same old coot that turned me loose on the tractor at age eight and even told me I could fire his over/under shotgun, if I could shoulder it. I've had him in my shoulder's memory all my days as a result of that one!

So Jerry...When you watched the Guild video did you see a remarkable likeness to the Gibson plant? Did you see the 28 foot parabolic dish sander? The body molds? Did you notice the firehose clamps? The clamps used to hold the top and back together while the glue dried? All of these are inovations that the folks at Gibson designed. Did you notice the 12th fret slope shouldered mahogany jumbo. It looks like Ren and Guild will out Gibson Gibson.

I might be crusty but I'm cute as hell.

Did I say crusty? Well he growls a bit but turns out to be a teddy bear, mostly. Yep, the factory looks like the Gibson factory. I guess they are putting in new tooling and using Ren's experience, so some of their setups may be even better. Hmnnn have to go try some of these. Very nice seeing him on the tour. He really knows what he is talking about and can go to any level of detail you want. There's a reason for everything they do.

So you think the J-35 is too thin? That would make it like those Kel Kroydens. A lot self-destructed but the ones that survived are total monsters.

I have a lot of affection for the brand and hope Gibson acoustic gets things sorted out again.

Archived