Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson stops special orders....look what Taylor is doing!!!

onewilyfool

I will take an adi top LG-2, banner headstock with antique acoustics open back tuners, Brazilian fretboad and rectangular bridge, 1.8" neck (profiled like the Keb Mo)....celluloid firestripe pickguard while your at it

Oh....darn you said Taylor....

Point is Lads, that this would be a cool way to order a guitar...simple.......Remember a while back we were considering getting together and order a "Gibson Forum" custom guitar???? It was like herding cats. THis way, just order what you want. With computers, CNC and Gibson indicating which tone woods are available....we wouldn't have to wade through the endless variations of J-45's conceived by marketing suits who probably don't even PLAY guitar!!! Just showing what other companies are doing compared to Gibson. I have NO interest in a Taylor of any sort, but this is an interesting approach to end-user participation..

I will take an adi top LG-2, banner headstock with antique acoustics open back tuners, Brazilian fretboad and rectangular bridge, 1.8" neck (profiled like the Keb Mo)....celluloid firestripe pickguard while your at it

Oh....darn you said Taylor....

I'm in........................................

Taylor has been doing the BTO thing for a while, very cool idea.

Imo Taylor is on the top in terms of manufacturing guitars, just very unique and forward thinking in their ideas.

Some argue the issue with Taylor's is that they are "manufacturing" guitars while other companies (Gibson) is "building/crafting" guitars.

But anyways yeah I wish Gibson did this too.

Taylor has been doing the BTO thing for a while, very cool idea.

A great idea still - I read an article in Guitarist UK about this a few years back - the editor got to go and order his at the factory in the flesh and got a little tour and stuff.

Of all the Taylor I have seen on the internet and magazines, I was pretty keen on a full Doyle Dykes sig model niftily done all in black with abalone everywhere(yes, I know! No-one likes black here and it doesn't sound any good and there are no pretty grain lines and the abalone is out...) .............

So for my order, I would like a J45 with a nice mahogany back and sides with a nice Sitka top, a rosewood board all made and finished as beautifully as possible...........hang on, I already have that - my J45 Standard.

BluesKing777.

Archived