Gibson Brands Forums

What strings

oldnjguy

Have a one year old Sheraton II. made in Korea. Just wondering what strings other Sheraton owners are using.

I play various types of music, not jazz though. Oh its a natural with I guess the Samick shape.... not that I think that that should matter. i use 10s on my Fender and Gibson. Any idea what strings come stock on the gibson 335's ?

Have a one year old Sheraton II. made in Korea. Just wondering what strings other Sheraton owners are using.

I play various types of music, not jazz though. Oh its a natural with I guess the Samick shape.... not that I think that that should matter. i use 10s on my Fender and Gibson. Any idea what strings come stock on the gibson 335's ?

The Epiphones set up in USA come with these I believe:

Gibson Brite Wires Electric Guitar Strings, Light 10-46

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D0EII/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_SC_dp_1

And these feel much nicer on the fingers and sound brighter than D'Addario in my opinion.

who do you think produces the Gibson strings ?

I'll bring the popcorn, you bring the beer!! [flapper]

Back on topic, I think all the Gibby's come set up for 10/46 as well. I personally use Elixir Nano's or Cleartones on mine, but have been thinking about some EB Slinky's just for grins. On my Gretsch 5122, I use D'Addario XL115 11/49 ('cause my Luthier said to) and they work well since the guitar is a bit bigger than a 335.

Ernie Balls here....Regulars for humbuckers.....love the sound of 'em, full & rich.

Supers on my Fenders, and oddly, on my Sheraton II, the bass end is juat a touch brighter w/the 9-42s.

never had a dead or defective string come from an EB pack. and I usually get them by the case.

I'm a long term D'Addario user. As far as the gauge, if depends on your style. The thicker the string, the tighter it has to be to get up to pitch. I play blues and bend constantly, so I use 9's. Billy Gibbons and EVH use 8's and get a big sound. Other guys like thick strings that 'fight back', but that can eventually take a toll on your fingers.

I'm a long term D'Addario user. As far as the gauge, if depends on your style. The thicker the string, the tighter it has to be to get up to pitch. I play blues and bend constantly, so I use 9's. Billy Gibbons and EVH use 8's and get a big sound. Other guys like thick strings that 'fight back', but that can eventually take a toll on your fingers.

Jimmy Page used EB 8s as well.

My personal rule of thumb is 10-46 or 52 on 24-3/4" scale and 9-42 or 46 for 25-1/2" scale for the simple fact mentioned here about larger strings equalling more tension to achieve pitch especially on longer scales.

Lately I have been using the larger bottom end strings. It gives me more thump but still allows for easy bending. The wife appreciates that I prefer a larger bottom end too! (Ahh Spinal Tap)

As for brands I prefer Gibson or D'Addario. I used Ernie Ball in the past but found they corroded more quickly. That will vary with each individual's body oils and sweat.

And these feel much nicer on the fingers and sound brighter than D'Addario in my opinion.

It may depend on what D'Addario you compare stock strings to. For example, EPS are the brightest, EXL less bright, etc. You can find this info on D'Addario web page.

I'm a long term D'Addario user. As far as the gauge, if depends on your style. The thicker the string, the tighter it has to be to get up to pitch. I play blues and bend constantly, so I use 9's.

I have used these strings for over ten years, when my stock of communist production Polish strings (probably 10-46) has finished (I still have few strings except E1). I use 9-42 for 25.5" neck, but for 24.75" they felt too light for me, so recently I tried EXL120+ (half way between 9-42 and 10-46, something like 9.5-44) in my Les Paul and they feel good. In the Explorer I'll probably stick to 10-46, EXL110 or EPS510.

I've tried several strings on various guitars over the years, but have currently settled on...gasp!...Fender brands. I started using Fender Silver Bullets (3150L .009 - .042) on my Stratocaster and really enjoy them. They are bright, stay in tune and last long (though I still like to change them out before them wear too much). Now I believe they are referred to as Original Bullets or they simple don't make the Silver Bullets anymore, they seem to be they very same to me.

I had went back to a brand I used years before on a lesser quality guitar I had (we won't talk about her, thank you), Ernie Balls. I gave them a shot because they were on sale at the time. Man, was I disappointed in them. They seemed to wear out quite quickly and did not stay in tune as well as the Fenders, nor did they have that brightness I had become accustomed to with the Fender Bullets.

On my more recent acquisition of the Epiphone Wildkat, I could not use the Bullets because of the Bigsby. Having never owned nor played a guitar with a Bigsby I had no idea until I took the factory strings off. I had a good laugh at myself since I stocked up on extra Fender Bullets. So instead I went with some Fender stainless steel strings (350L .009 - .042). I did play the Wildkat with the factory strings for a few days. I have no idea what kind they were, but they were a much heavier gauge than I prefer and sounded very dull to my ear. I wasn't too sure I was going to like the Wildkat that much (aside from her amazing beauty, of course), but once I got her dressed with more familiar strings, I was in heaven. She's a keeper!

Not sure how blasphemous it is putting Fender strings on a Gibson/Epiphone guitar? So far the guitar Gods have been kind.

I wasn't too sure I was going to like the Wildkat that much (aside from her amazing beauty, of course), but once I got her dressed with more familiar strings, I was in heaven. She's a keeper!

Wildkats are great guitars for the money. Back on topic, I'm thinking I'm gonna go with some GHS Boomers and some Gibby Brite Wires on my next couple of string changes, just to mix things up a bit. Will have to do a bit of "sound checking" on the before and after I suppose to be really objective as far as sound goes. BTW, I'll be using my hollows/semi hollows for this little experiment and all but one have a Bigsby. Also thinking of staying with 10/46. Thoughts on alternatives welcome.

Archived