Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup for a Hummingbird TV

music4love

Who here has added a pickup to their Hummingbird TV? I need something that will work well in a live band situation for leading praise and worship .

MusicVilla is recommending the K&K. I am concerned about feedback issues with this pickup.

I am alos considering the trance amulet( the cheaper version) Any suggestions?

You will not be disappointed with the Trance Audio Amulet. I have the stereo in my Jackson Browne, the Mono in my Southern Jumbo, and am making arrangements to get another for my Martin D-18. I love 'em. Music Villa did the install on my Mono - I think one of the first ones they ever did -but there are new self install instructions now that appear to be darn good - as long as you either have the endpin already drilled, or have it done. I have not owned K&K so can't knock 'em, played 'em, but the Trance is hard to beat. MV is probably suggesting the K&K because they are comfortable with having installed a bunch of them, and they probably have a ton of satisfied customers. But, I know they have installed at least one Trance ! I love mine.

Here's my JB !

No doubt dan knows I love that clip of his JB.

I have had K&Ks in tons of my guitars. They are simple, non invasive, and sound great. Feedback can be an issue with out a phase switch or good DI.

Believe it or not, I actually like the sound of the Baggs M1A sound hole pickup even better, but I don't like anything heavy clamped to the top. That just makes me nervous. And it detracts from the clean look I like. But they sound great!

For what it's worth, I put a K&K mini in my SJ-200TV, now don't get me wrong, the one-man one-guitar scenario with this it sounds pretty natural and is a thoroughly decent option given the relatively small outlay involved when compared with a few competitors... at higher volume you get feedback... I play in a wee 3-man combo, (2 guitars and a cajon, cymbals etc), it struggles to avoid feedback when used in that situation. As such I use the LRBaggs element that came with my J-45 & J-50 for those gigs.

Really depends what you want to do, but in a band scenario I'd say the K&K struggles a wee bit...

My long fingernails and that annoying taping sound. Being a lady, this creates a problem for me.

Dont like the looks either.

The Trance is a sensitive PU, if your nails or fingers tend to tap the top, it will be heard. I have had to clean up my playing style. Used to have a Fishman Rarearth in the soundhole of a D-28, really good pu did not pu extraneous noises(finger clicks) and it is small and black, so it was pretty unobtrusive appearing.

The Trance is a sensitive PU, if your nails or fingers tend to tap the top, it will be heard. I have had to clean up my playing style. Used to have a Fishman Rarearth in the soundhole of a D-28, really good pu did not pu extraneous noises(finger clicks) and it is small and black, so it was pretty unobtrusive appearing.

Surely any pickup will , um , pickup :) the noise of nails on the top ? No ?

Archived