Gibson Brands Forums

Did some wildlife research

E-minor7

Some of you might recall me talking about the flora on the Hummingbird p-guard as hibiscus-flowers.

Well, I got that while presenting the guitar to a friend, who spontaneously said hibiscus.

In fact over a period I've been presenting the iconic Bird for a couple of good friends, who all are great rock-fans, but not players.

Just as an experiment to hear what they have to say about the thing.

How aware of the model they are, how much they can say about it, and to see if there's any interesting thoughts from people who are into music and art, but not close to the instruments they are hearing. I figured it would be an exiting thing to do – not least with the 'what are the most famous acoustic Gibsons' question in mind.

Have to say the response was surprisingly poor. They recognized what they saw, but only to a fumbling blurred degree.

There was f.x. no idea of the Stones-factor and they couldn't really place the cherry square as a piece of art, pop-art, nor in modern culture or rock'n'roll history.

Admit it kind of knocked me out in disappointment and naturally it was necessary to give them a glowing lesson – which they of course appreciated and took in.

But, , , , regarding hibiscus, it was a mistake and I must draw it back.

After research it has become clear that the intriguing flower in that legendary wildlife scenery is called a trumpet creeper also known as trumpet vine.

Aha and aaahhh, what a relief to finally get that botanical enigma straightened out.

So here it is in real life – the scene just as we know, understand and like it. The hovering love-making between the bird and the alluring horn.

All we miss is that shy butterfly, but I'm sure it is around. . .

A good weekend to you all ~ Enjoy

Nectar Bar Thehummingbirdandthetrumpetcreepersalsocalledtrumpetvine2.jpg

Archived