Gibson Brands Forums

Testing my fake spotting abilities

Bongoscot

The TRC in the second ad is just a regular Gibson blank version.

It has almost certainly been swapped-out for the original as, judging by the 'colour' of the black, it looks to be a recent one.

The guitar in the second ad has a non-original roller-bridge but other than that......?

IMHO the Sonex would be an unlikely choice for a counterfeiter..

They were made in an unusual way. The body had a central core of solid wood - usually, but not always, mahogany - onto which slabs of "Resonwood" (basically a solidified goo made up of sawdust and wood-glue!) were bonded back and front. Why would any counterfeiter go to so much trouble to re-create what were, at the time, the lowest-priced (and just about the least popular) guitars in the Gibson catalogue?

Having introduced the range in 1980 Gibson started phasing out the models as early as 1981(!) and the last examples were made in 1984. Hardly the success story Gibson had hoped for.

I suppose lack of familiarity might be one reason to re-create the models. After all; who except a geek would know exactly what to look for in an original? But I'd be very surprised if anyone thought it a worthwhile exercise.

Incidentally; the current ebay asking price of about $800 is also around 4x what they cost when new.......

But the forumite who has one (I'm pretty sure it's Rocketman) says his is an all-out Rock-Machine and I have no doubt that he's right.

P.

Archived