Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Coronet - what's happened???

mimmo

Hi guys,

maybe someone of you can help me: do you know what's happened to the announced Epi Coronet?

They issued the 1962 Sheraton, Sorrento and so, buy the Coronet seems to be cancelled.

It's the guitar I've been waiting for a long time...

Thanks!

Mimmo.

I read on another site that the Coronet was going to be a reissue of the '64 model with the batwing headstock. I'm not saying the info was correct but, if that's the case and it's to be a 50th anniversary release it should be reissued in 2014. This is a pic of it.

64_Coronetreissue_Small_zpsca1e661b.jpg

Saw a real one from I think 63 in my local GC and got the itch real bad for the reissue. It being plain bodied and one pickup, what do you estimate street price to be, 300-400? I don't know that I'd pay much more than that as its seems something of a unitasker in terms of sound options?

Considering how long it's been since there's been a decrnt Coronet on the market I wouldn't be surprised if they did an expensive USA version first and followed it up with entry level versions like they did with the Wilshire...

I'd like one in worn black. There's a silver fox on ebay.co.uk at the moment that's making me drool!

As far as I can tell, even though the Coronet didn't sit all that high in the Epiphone solidbody range in the 60's it is probably the most 'famous' of that range - maybe because it was the longest running model or the one some popular players used.

so.....

Why not make it a full blown USA made standard part of the Gibson family of guitars rather than a short term special build. It would potentially sell at least as well as some of the less popular models from the likes of Gibson, Fender, PRS etc etc which are standard US production models - especially if a renowned guitarist or two played 'em - so why not? They could probably use LP Jr, SG Jr parts too, so pretty straight forward (?).

• 10 months later...

Archived