Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid Ebay Post of the Day

kidblast

It is a replica.

http://www.mirabellaguitars.com/

I know it is. I read the auction. Why don't you ask these guys at Mirabella (or any of the dreamers that buy repro parts for their R9s or buy whatever to make their guitar look more like the guy's one they have their fan crush on- I will never understand why people want to make their guitar look like someone elses) what "replica" parts cost. That said, I do understand there is sometimes a need to have a repro part when an actual part isn't available. I used to restore and flip Corvettes. I know what these things cost and I know how anal people can get about it. The postage in the UK E Bay version for USPS Priority Mail International was excessive and probably a typo. Otherwise none of the prices shocked me and there is a market for reproduction parts. If you're willing to part with the money you can even buy a dead nuts on potentiometer washer just like the ones used on an actual '59 Burst...what am I saying? This is the Gibson Forum. You already know that.

They are even more pricey after you play one. All of them aren't worth 40k, no matter what Ron Wood slurs.

rct

I haven't touched one since the mid 90s when they were still available and in the $5K-$12K range depending on extent of decoration and no, they aren't all worth a huge premium based upon their utility as a guitar and some look out-right horrid but ever since Zemaitis died about ten years ago they've gone through the roof pricewise (Especially big with the Japanese for some reason-there's a huge Tony Zemaitis fan club based in Japan). The first one I was aware of was the Clapton "Ivan The Terrible" 12 string in a Guitar Player magazine back about 1970 (Used on his first solo album for "Easy Now" (tuned to a C# modal tuning). Then Hendrix playing a 12 String Zemaitis (two "i"s) in the "Rainbow Bridge" film (?) doing "Hear My Train A' Comin'" or something very much like that. I think the video clip was originally a warm up for that song's film sequence that turned out well so they stuck it in the film.

Then of course Ron Wood with the Faces and Stewart...Harrison

...Then Hendrix playing a 12 String Zemaitis (two "i"s) in the "Rainbow Bridge" film (?) doing "Hear My Train A' Comin'" or something very much like that. I think the video clip was originally a warm up for that song's film sequence that turned out well so they stuck it in the film...

The first time I heard that track was on the double album which was the soundtrack to the '73 film simply titled 'Jimi Hendrix'.

A drawing made from a still taken from the footage of the film featuring Jimi with the 12 string was used as the album cover.

Call me a Luddite (again) but that's one of the greatest double albums I've ever heard.

And a Great Performance on '..Train..'.

I have yet to see both the Rainbow Bridge stuff as well as the 'Experience' film.

I have two vinyl albums of the latter - one of which is a double album - and when I was into Hendrix there seemed to be interminable problems with obtaining a release certificate/permission from the (corrupt) estate executors but I think it might, finally, have seen the light of day. I could, of course, be wrong....

P.

The first time I heard that track was on the double album which was the soundtrack to the '73 film simply titled 'Jimi Hendrix'.

A drawing made from a still taken from the footage of the film featuring Jimi with the 12 string was used as the album cover.

Call me a Luddite (again) but that's one of the greatest double albums I've ever heard.

And a Great Performance on '..Train..'.

I have yet to see both the Rainbow Bridge stuff as well as the 'Experience' film.

I have two vinyl albums of the latter - one of which is a double album - and when I was into Hendrix there seemed to be interminable problems with obtaining a release certificate/permission from the (corrupt) estate executors but I think it might, finally, have seen the light of day. I could, of course, be wrong....

P.

That's the film I was talking about but for some reason I want to associate it with the title "Rainbow Bridge" or "Return To Rainbow Bridge" or such like. I have the double album stored away with my other vinyl and I recall having a poster of that drawing as well. I don't know about being a Luddite but I'm definitely old and can still recall buying "Are You Experienced"...when it was first released...yikes! Hendrix was my guitar muse though my personal style (or perhaps it's only an attempt at style) isn't anything like Hendrix. I remember after Hendrix died there seemed to be a new release (albeit of things where it was clear why they hadn't been released previously) about evry month. I do recall an awesome version of Johnny B. Goode on that double album too. The Hendrix heirs' business dealing were deplorable but the post-death releases were pretty awful as well. Change the track order, get new cover art and voilà! New Hendrix album.

How do we "KNOW" Les Paul didn't try that pick out testing it on a new gold top back in the day, hummmm?

Now, doesn't that make the pick sound cheap?? [biggrin]

Prices always blow me away. Then I have clients that won't spend $1,000.00 on a custom programed remote control interface that makes their $60,000 home theaters easy to work. Can't figure "value" out with folks most of the time.

Aster

Archived