Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Customs

Zeppeholic

Why doesn't Gibson make a few series of Les Paul Customs in different specs?

Like;

Some in different colors (like some other colors other than Black, Red and white and silver burst)

To me, the LPC's that are new are kinda generic, all the same, no real "custom" feel..

That being said, I think the LPC would appeal to more people if it came in the 50's rounded neck and the 60's rounded slimtaper neck

And with those, I'd like to see 2 AND 3 pickup models.

I know you guys are gonna say "oh there's the R7"" and that's nice, but these should be new Custom models (with the different necks and 3 pickup models)

These should be the regular $4,000-$4,500 USD price, since that's more affordable than the R7, the necks will appeal to those who like the neck style, or anyone who wants a good guitar..

I hope some of you agree with me, thanks for reading

Solid bodies would be nice, none of that weight relieved or chambered crap

In this case, - considering the R7 is no-no for You - an R4, or a '74 Reissue is for You. Not counting the Artist Models, the rest are cr@p (swiss-cheesed).

Cheers... Bence

Actually, Gibson just brought out a 3 pickup LP Custom.

The Custom Shop does put out LP Customs in different finishes from time to time. I got one with a flamed maple top in faded tobacco burst with push/pull control knobs for coil splitters and phase. It's got a rosewood board when most Customs would be ebony or richlite.

Because it was so different from the typical LP Custom is why I snagged it when I saw it.

does gibson not make Historic 56 and 57 Customs anymore?

What about the 68 Reissue Customs? Those come in several different finishes.

They are nice guitars for those who prefer maple necks as used from 1967 to 1983. Their response and sound are a bit different from those featuring mahogany necks.

They are nice guitars for those who prefer maple necks as used from 1967 to 1983. Their response and sound are a bit different from those featuring mahogany necks.

68 RIs dont have maple necks,unless that's something new.

http://reverb.com/item/20031-gibson-les-paul-custom-68-reissue-2007-sunburst?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CIXB3b_P-bkCFapAMgodAB8AJQ

definitely not maple on this one.

And they don't have maple fretboards either, though Gibson has done special runs with maple boards on Customs.

And the 56/57s are solid body without a maple cap. I believe the 68 RIs are solid body with a maple cap. And the the regular customs are swiss cheesed (or at least they used to be) with a maple cap.

As for the 3 pickup options, yes those are a bit rare. I've seen some 57 RIs, but they are definitely more uncommon. When you say a different neck, do mean in size or type of wood? It doesn't really make sense to use maple for the neck when pretty much all Les Pauls use mahogany. Simple economics on that one. And it won't affect the tone anyways (minimally at best).

The point was kinda saying they should have different neck option and 3 pickup models available too

Their regular Customs are kinda standard to me

It looks like they are going to make 100 Black Beauties with 3 pickups and "the last" of the one-piece ebony boards. It will cost you big bucks, though.

68 RIs dont have maple necks,unless that's something new.

http://reverb.com/item/20031-gibson-les-paul-custom-68-reissue-2007-sunburst?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CIXB3b_P-bkCFapAMgodAB8AJQ

definitely not maple on this one.

And they don't have maple fretboards either, though Gibson has done special runs with maple boards on Customs.

And the 56/57s are solid body without a maple cap. I believe the 68 RIs are solid body with a maple cap. And the the regular customs are swiss cheesed (or at least they used to be) with a maple cap.

As for the 3 pickup options, yes those are a bit rare. I've seen some 57 RIs, but they are definitely more uncommon. When you say a different neck, do mean in size or type of wood? It doesn't really make sense to use maple for the neck when pretty much all Les Pauls use mahogany. Simple economics on that one. And it won't affect the tone anyways (minimally at best).

This is interesting. I would expect an instrument called reissue to be made period correct to the related specifications. I admit that a pancake LP probably wouldn't be a top seller, but I think that a maple neck is another thing.

There always have been some LPs with maple neck available at Thomann, assumably one-offs or from very small runs, with varying fretboards, and I tried a few. To my experience, the maple neck makes them react to attack a bit brighter, and due to more high overtones the sustain seems to be shorter. However, the midrange sustains about the same to my experience whereas the lows are sleeker. The difference would grow to my experience using chrome (like I do) or stainless steel strings I think.

On the other hand, an ebony or Richlite fingerboard may affect the tone significantly, too. Both make the lows tighter and let them appear a bit sleeker due to the increased treble response. My comparisons of LPs with Richlite on mahogany versus some with Richlite on maple were very few, and the only A/B comparison suffered from different pickups in these guitars. I like the specific sound of the different wood combinations of my different SG and L6-S (1973) respectively L6S (2011) guitars.

However, I was a bit surprised to find only these two LPs with maple neck respectively maple neck and fretboard today:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_lp_custom_mn_vos_eb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_zakk_wylde_bw.htm

By the way, there are only very few brands using brightly and shining sounding strings stock which are to my taste and allow me for a good evaluation, and among the big manufacturers only Epiphone does it. They put the best strings stock on guitars in my opinion, and no other brand came ever anyhow close to them since 33 years.

Interestingly enough, Gibson has never made a Burst Reissue (Historic, Pre-Historic or otherwise) that is actually vintage spec. the 2013s are probably the closest (with the exception of say the 2003 runs that had Braz fretboards) with correct dyes, lack of truss rod condom, correct inlays, etc.

The only way to get a Les Paul with Burst specs is to have a replica built or to have someone like Dave Johnson or Kim LeFleur do a makeover on a Historic. I've seen replicas range from $4000 to over $10000 depending on the builder. When I was considering a Historic Makeover in 2008, the price was $2500 for the full treatment. I see now it's up to $3975....

Archived