Gibson Brands Forums

A little Ray Wylie Hubbard on a J-45....

onewilyfool

Uh, look a bit closer. That's not a J-45. It might be an SJ Woody.

You're right, j45nick, the neck is definitely a SJ. On his Facebook page RWH mentions three Gibson acoustics: a SJ Reissue (that may be what we are seeing in this video), a "Frankenstein" with a SJ Body and a J45 neck and a J45. Here is part of that post:

"i play a 1943 gibson southern jumbo reissue or 58 southern jumbo with a 1949 j45 neck that tony nobles did the work on. for open d or g i use a 62 j45 i got from charlies guitar in dallas. clay gave me a hell of a deal on cause it was beat up and gnarly but hey so am i."

No matter what he plays, it's great!

You're right, j45nick, the neck is definitely a SJ. On his Facebook page RWH mentions three Gibson acoustics: a SJ Reissue (that may be what we are seeing in this video), a "Frankenstein" with a SJ Body and a J45 neck and a J45. Here is part of that post:

"i play a 1943 gibson southern jumbo reissue or 58 southern jumbo with a 1949 j45 neck that tony nobles did the work on. for open d or g i use a 62 j45 i got from charlies guitar in dallas. clay gave me a hell of a deal on cause it was beat up and gnarly but hey so am i."

No matter what he plays, it's great!

Sorry I missed your earlier reply on this. I'm sure you're right.

The various SJ re-issues can be a bit Frankensteinian themselves. My Fuller's '43 has a bound fretboard rather than un-bound, but at least it has a 19-fret board and an adi top.

Archived