Gibson Brands Forums

Epi 1956 Gold Top re-issue

Goldtop56

Hello all

Last guitar went under the water thanks to Hurricane Sandy, Bought the Epi Gold Top in mint condition. She needed a set up desperately. The sound of the P90s is amazing and the guitar is a beautiful copy of the original from back then.

Anyone have one of these? Like to hear from you.

Thanks

Hello all

Last guitar went under the water thanks to Hurricane Sandy, Bought the Epi Gold Top in mint condition. She needed a set up desperately. The sound of the P90s is amazing and the guitar is a beautiful copy of the original from back then.

Anyone have one of these? Like to hear from you.

Thanks

Hi there,

a guy i used to play with in a band had one and yes, they sound pretty good! I mean of course not like a R6, but pretty good!!!

got one had to rewire it and put in full size pots. pickups are fine. well worth the effort i put in sweet guitar. originally either volume did both and tone controls did nothing. so i wired it to 56 spec including the caps.

Yeah, absolutely worth doing it, in most guitars! Good quality pots and caps can make your guitar sounds sooo much better!!!

Yeah, absolutely worth doing it, in most guitars! Good quality pots and caps can make your guitar sounds sooo much better!!!

Pot values change the tone, not pot brands. A 500K pot does the same thing and sounds the same, no matter who makes it. Caps only have any impact when they're dialed down (below '10'), and the value of the cap has a bigger impact than the brand or type.

The single biggest thing that improves tone, more than everything else put together, is changing PU's. That's where to put your money.

Pot values change the tone, not pot brands. A 500K pot does the same thing and sounds the same, no matter who makes it. Caps only have any impact when they're dialed down (below '10'), and the value of the cap has a bigger impact than the brand or type.

The single biggest thing that improves tone, more than everything else put together, is changing PU's. That's where to put your money.

Yeah, of course. It depends on are you using your knobs or is anything always on 10...

But we´re talking here about a low to mid budget guitar.Buying a set of "good" pickups is almost have the value of this guitar...

Yeah, of course. It depends on are you using your knobs or is anything always on 10...

But we´re talking here about a low to mid budget guitar.Buying a set of "good" pickups is almost have the value of this guitar...

all true but i didnt do the rewire for the sound change . i did it because the tone controls did nothing and both volume controls would work both pickups at the same time. apparently someone f%^&ed up at the factory on that one so i got it cheap with a nnew epi hard case . if everything worked i wouldnt have changed a thing accept for the ugly control knobs. lol. but since it was wired up wrong well i got a bargain. i dide have to ask gfor the case, i guess that guitar center couldnt sell it the way it was and so i told them id take it if it came with the factory hard case. anyhow i got what i wanted rewired it put in the full size pots and old time caps while i was in there...hey why not since i was in there ...lol had a problem withthe first wildkat i brought home too. but that one went back because one pickup just didnt work no matter what they or i did. so i got another one that was returned for a hundred less and i was happy.

But we´re talking here about a low to mid budget guitar. Buying a set of "good" pickups is almost half the value of this guitar...

Not really. I get almost all of my PU's used on eBay, usually for around half-price. For under $100, I can get a noticeable upgrade in tone with a pair of Seymour Duncans, DiMarzios, Gibsons, etc.

The average player uses his volume controls once-in-a-while, and rarely touches his tone controls. The 'knobs on 10' approach is the norm.

I have one and I love it now. I'm not a P-90 guy. I have tried to like them but they are not for me. I almost sold it and found out that minis were a direct drop in. I put a set of Gibson Minis in her and I couldn't be happier. I may change the knobs to gold top hats.

GTwithGreenKeystones-fullfront.jpg

Looks damn nice! One of the first Goldtops i like without the pickguard!

Archived