Gibson Brands Forums

My little John Fulbright cover

EuroAussie

Been a tough and long day at work so I knocked back a couple and had a little crack Mr Fullbrights crackin' tune.

Really enjoyed his CD since recommended couple weeks ago here on the forum, hope he's gonna have a long future.

I know the vocals are pretty crappy but its just a bit of fun .... played on my trusty SJ.

Maybe this could be next week's challenge, Im sure many folks can do this 100% better on the forum than me. I find it mainly good fingerpickin' practice.

Anyway, have a bit of laugh folks.

https://soundcloud.com/euroaussie/satan-and-st-paul

Good job EA :) Might try this one myself at the weekend - I'll post the result if I get it recorded.

Saw Mr Fullbright at a small gig in Belfast last week, Played an awesome acoustic version of Satan and St Paul! Only played maybe two others on guitar (Gawd Above was one of them).

Going to see Glen Hansard on Monday night - that should be good too.

Yea that's a good song EA. Really good guitar work.Very evocative.As you say the vocals stray a little off key at times but still a good listen.Your voice suits these rootsy things but just needs a bit of finessing.I don't know much about vocals and vocal training but I reckon you're close enough for a little tuition to get it a a bit closer to spot on.

I think our mate the ex-pat in Hungary Mr Mojo Man might have posted a version of this a while ago too?

Thanks for posting old son!

Hairy Dave I can't remember you posting a song here, hope you do.

The guitar sounds great (and the recording), but like FB said, the vocals wander off tune and I got a bit scared, but there is only one way to fix that and that is to keep doing it (a lot), so don't let us put you off - it is very hard to sing and play fingery at the same time! You have already started the way you want to go.

A good way for a guitar player to get his voice in tune is to play a few simple notes and then sing with them, and then, yep, without the guitar. Wife may consider leaving, but once you get a few 'romance tunes' under your belt, she may stay! Next step is to get some music/tab books with simple tunes that you know with the chords backing and a melody line to play and then sing. Don't start with Mahalia Jackson, but a lot of those blues books have the melody somewhere on the sheet.

BluesKing777.

Like seeing me playing billiards in a suit -

To be serious :

You start out pretty good, but by 0:48 you take the first small crack - 10 secs later another comes up and in second minute it just starts to decline.

My queue scrapes through the felt and the red ball takes 3 angles before plumping the hole.

In the middle the cones stand untouched, , , , laughing.

The suit is the SJ.

Ha, ha ... yes, I think that pretty much summs it up Em7, but I know what Ive got to work on. Truth be told I really didnt know the words to this song beyond the first verse, and it shows. Ill work on it a bit more and in due time post again.

Like seeing me playing billiards in a suit -

To be serious :

You start out pretty good, but by 0:48 you take the first small crack - 10 secs later another comes up and in second minute it just starts to decline.

My queue scrapes though the felt and the red ball takes 3 angles before plumping the hole.

In the middle the cones stand untouched, , , , laughing.

The suit is the SJ.

Good points from Em7. I think I remember you had a go at the JC version of Hurt...and the vocals were much closer to the money.That probably correlates with what Em7 is saying about the song choice of "simpler tune, longer phrases"

And got to say "the billiards in a suit" analogy was pretty darn witty [smile] ...made me smile

Archived