Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Artist

Gilliangirl

Just got back from Guitarworks and they had a Dove and a Hummingbird Artist. The Dove was nice, but the HA was absolutely amazing! The sound was big, bright and jangly. It was everything a guitar should be. I wish I was rich.

I played a few Larrivees..... again, I don't get the Larrivee thing. Not that there's anything wrong with them but I just don't hear what I want to hear when I play them. And there was a good selection of Taylors, but same thing, didn't rock my world. But that HA was one amazing guitar. Sigh....

Big, bright and JANGLY! haha! I love that description! I haven't had the opportunity to play an HA but my dealer has a H'Bird in silver burst that I can't figure out whether I like the look of or not. I like the sound, no doubt. It's just so odd to look at. I either love it or I hate it. Who knows. I am, however, in love with a Bubinga J-45. I wish I were rich, too.

I know what you mean about Taylors, though. I pick 'em up all the time thinking maybe one day it'll either jump out and grab me or simply grow on me. Never happens. There's either something lacking or something extra that just doesn't sound quite right. Or, maybe I'm just a Gibson Snob now. lol. Either way ...

I haven't seen one of those silverbursts yet. Can you see the wood grain through the finish? Hard to say how I'd feel about it. I really like the woodiness of guitars and the further removed from the earthy woodiness, the less likely I am to like it, I think.

A bubinga J-45? I'll bet that sounds GREAT! They had a Gibson bubinga something-rather in Guitarworks awhile back. For some reason I can't remember what it was. Fred, if you're reading this, do you remember? It had a rich earthy sound to it.

Did Caleb Meyer arrive okay?

Guest NattyBumppo
Just got back from Guitarworks and they had a Dove and a Hummingbird Artist. The Dove was nice' date=' but the HA was absolutely amazing! The sound was big, bright and jangly. It was everything a guitar should be. I wish I was rich.

I played a few Larrivees..... again, I don't get the Larrivee thing. Not that there's anything wrong with them but I just don't hear what I want to hear when I play them. And there was a good selection of Taylors, but same thing, didn't rock my world. But that HA was one amazing guitar. Sigh....[/quote']

I know exactly what you mean Gilliangirl! The first time I picked up the HB-A I almost couldn't believe the big and wonderful tone that came out of it. I suspected my initial reaction was clouded by the possibility of a new Gibson purchase so I went back to the shop once or twice a week for about 6 weeks to play that guitar and hope it was still there. After so many weeks of playing the same guitar and risking a rental fee by the shop owner, I knew I had to have it. Guess it's been well over a year and it still puts a big Gibson smile on my face everytime I pick it up.

I love the tone so much that I've even resisted the usual bone saddle "upgrade". The only change I've made is a beautiful set of "vintage dyed" bone bridge pins from Bob C. The vintage dyed bone really looks good with the color of the HB-A finish.

Here's my sweetie.

gibby_bird2.jpg

Hi Natty! Yeah, that's what this one was..... gorgeous! I couldn't believe the amazing sound that came out of it. It just had so much depth and richness, not to mention volume. It had just come in on Thursday last week so it won't last long. The guy said everyone had come into the shop GAS-ing over it. Going out to check the lottery tickets tonight!

Just got back from Guitarworks and they had a Dove and a Hummingbird Artist. The Dove was nice' date=' but the HA was absolutely amazing! The sound was big, bright and jangly. It was everything a guitar should be. I wish I was rich.

I played a few Larrivees..... again, I don't get the Larrivee thing. Not that there's anything wrong with them but I just don't hear what I want to hear when I play them. And there was a good selection of Taylors, but same thing, didn't rock my world. But that HA was one amazing guitar. Sigh....[/quote']

larrivees sound kind of subdued to me overall, but i love their parlors. and i agree, nothing beats a good h-bird....i hope you can get it, you will love it. my h-bird is the most balanced dread i ever played. can do everything, well....

Guest NattyBumppo

Gilliangirl....good luck on those tickets!

What's weird is that I thought the HB-A was supposed to be a GC exlusive and now with your post of finding one at Guitarworks, that's the second one I know of that isn't at GC. I purchased mine from my local, family owned Authorized Gibby Dealer. And try to find any info on them at the Gibson web site....it doesn't exist (least it didn't when I checked a year ago). Curious....where is this Guitarworks? Do you have a website link?

There are only two things I would change on the HB-A and they are really subjective and not a show stopper by any stretch of the imagination;

1. satin finish on the neck - I've really become a fan of smooth, satin necks like on Taylor guitars.

2. go the extra fraction of an inch on the nut width and bring it to a full 1.75" - I know the difference is splitting hairs but my fat fingers can actually tell the difference. Also, going back and forth between the HB-A and my two other acoustics that have the wider nut causes some issues for the first few minutes of playing until I adjust.

Like I said, really minor issues and totally personal taste, but those two changes would make the HB-A truly a hog dred lovers dream machine in my book!

Here's a pic of the back..

gibby_bird4.jpg

You know, Karen ..as much as I've stared at it you'd think I'd be able to recall right off whether or not you can see the grain beneath. My first inclination is no, you can't. But if there's just a hint of it, it's likely that I missed it. I'll have a better look Saturday and let you know.

I've decided that I don't like it at all. There's not even any color in the pickguard, which is just as well, because it would have looked horrible. IMHO, finishes like that belong on electric guitars only.

Just left GC and played an HA, WOW. Its the reason I did a google search and found this forum. Nuff' said. Can anyone send me a pm or a post (if it's allowed) on what the usual discount is on a new Gibson? For example, at GC you can usually purchase a martin for less than what they have listed on the price tag, does this same principle apply to Gibsons or is it a Collings thing where what's on the tag is the final price? Thanks.

Once more (i apologize for the off-topic subject matter), how do the Hummingbird Classic and Hummingbird Artist compare tonally? Going to buy either one or the other and didnt have a chance to play a Hummingbird Modern Classic.

there ish a lot more room to discount a Gibson than a Collings...the wholesale price structures are very different for the two companies. It just depends on how bad GC wants to move the guitar. If its limited and recent they may not move as much as something that is being closed out or an item they have a lot of.....

Went to GC last night and played a Hummingbird Artist and comapred it to a Hummingbird. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (the kid at GC couldn't grasp what I was trying to ask him) but isn't the Hummingbird Artist a cross between the Hummingbird and Songwriter Deluxe? It appears to me that it's built like a hummingbird but has the slightly smaller body size of a Songwriter Deluxe.

Jack, if my memory serves me correctly, the last time I checked with Gibson about the HA when this topic was mentioned on the old forum, I was told that the HA is nothing like a Hummingbird as far as the specs. The woods and other features on the HA seem to remind me more of a Southern Jumbo rather than a real Hummingbird. It is also similar to my older Songwriter (mahogany).

This one I played was amazing and I'm STILL thinking about it 3 days later. The calculator is still sitting on my desk, warm from the last time I madly punched numbers into it LOL

This little guitar is $2000.00, significantly less than the last Hummingbird I saw up in these parts. They had the list price at $3500.00 I think, but the sale price was $2000.00

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. When you say the "last Hummingbird" you saw, do you mean another Hummingbird Artist or a real Hummingbird? The real Hummingbirds will be more expensive. The list on a Hummingbird Modern Classic is $3589. It looks like the list on a HA is $3351, which isn't much less than the real Hummingbird. For the difference in price, I think I'd be inclined to pay the small extra cost for the real deal.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. When you say the "last Hummingbird" you saw' date=' do you mean another Hummingbird Artist or a real Hummingbird? The real Hummingbirds will be more expensive. The list on a Hummingbird Modern Classic is $3589. It looks like the list on a HA is $3351, which isn't much less than the real Hummingbird. For the difference in price, I think I'd be inclined to pay the small extra cost for the real deal.[/quote']

The last real Hummingbird I saw up here was around the $4000.00 mark, IIRC, and it was the real deal. I've not seen an HA up here before, that I recall.

I guess we're back to comparing apples to apples again. Was the $4000 Canadian or U.S. dollars? Like I said' date=' the list now on a MC Hummingbird is $3589 (U.S.).[/quote']

Sorry, I missed this post for some reason (senility?) Yes, it was $4000.00 Canadian. That makes sense if the US price is $3589.00

I know what you mean about Taylors' date=' though. I pick 'em up all the time thinking maybe one day it'll either jump out and grab me or simply grow on me. Never happens. There's either something lacking or something extra that just doesn't sound quite right. [/quote']

Maybe it has something to do with a certain additional layer of high-end sizzle that seems to come with most of their guitars. And to think they add octave strings on top of that to make a 12-string guitar ... ick.

Guest NattyBumppo
the hummingbird artist with the plain pickguard at GC is in the new green tag sales catalog for 20% less 1599.99 US. in the mailbox today :)

That is what I paid for mine (not GC, a local Gibby dealer). Wasn't sure if I was able to post pricing on the forum.

Archived