Gibson Brands Forums

ES -359...pure love!

Golden

I've played a few models in the ES series over the years. A 335 and a 135 with a trap for some time. The ES-359 I came across by chance as someone I knew bought one new and never really played or bonded with it. I played it an loved it. Stunned by its tone actually.

Anyone playing these? They are impressive. Not the most highly figured 3-D offering I have seen. But man this guitar plays exceptional, feels and sounds awesome. I love the Lucille neck and Memphis tone system,

IMG_0147_zps06cfd3e0.jpg

IMG_0146_zpsb0747f85.jpg

IMG_0148_zpsbd8f0db7.jpg

IMG_0149_zps9280cf83.jpg

IMG_0151_zpseffb9d06.jpg

IMG_0152_zps8b46fc1e.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsc1b33a2c.jpg

Nice - I had a 339 for five years or so. I loved it. A tone monster. [thumbup]

Thanks, Same basic ES as the 339. Both are killer semi-hollows. Originally I was attracted to the 339 from the larger bodies. But right now today the 359s seem to be slightly better priced. Well, since 2012 when they discontinued them anyway. I like ebony boards as I played on them since early on.

I guess when they drop like that people scoff them up and flip them. I have seen a few on craigslist in the 2300-2500 range. That said GC still had a leftover 2012 here by me for $1999. It was a demo and used but anyway it gives an idea of whats going on with them. Interesting how Gibson does business though.

Many peeps hereon like these 'smaller' ES's...

Personally I prefer the big ones...for tone and history... [biggrin]

The ES335, ES330 and ES137 float my boat nicely thankyou very much

There are some very tasty alternatives from Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker and Deusenberg...

Enjoy your small one big time... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Thanks all. Big, small all good. Quiet as its kept I am rather fond of the 135-Traps with 57s also. The 359 is the best sounding ES I have heard for sure. Course that's "IMHO."

In fact I switched from Gibson 335/135 to Hamer for a decade. I had a Newport Pro BE which came from Wilcutt which slayed both of them. The Seths with the all maple/Birdseye top was addictive.

The 359 was the first Semi by Gibson that hands down sounded better than the Hamer. Took a decade to find one though. And the 359 weighs 5.8lbs. The Hamer and both the 335/135 were above 8 to 8-1/2 Nothing major, but a noticeable difference.

I'm not much into guitar names, I grew up playing Gretsch and Fender. Gretsch was my first "good" guitar. Also where I became fond of ebony boards.

That said I had a Midtown Custom here for some time also. I picked it up dirt cheap and it was set-up horrendous when I bought it. In fact it sounded so bad I could see why it was looked at critical. Nevertheless though heavy it sounded impressive with the BB 1+2 once set up, intonated. The middle position was very different almost Tele sounding. The board, I didn't see any issue with it, the Richlite played slightly faster than Ebony and Maple. I found myself sliding past the note every now and again.

Looks Awesome!!! [thumbup]

I came across one a few months ago, as I've been looking to add an ES to my collection. Unfortunately, the guitar was gigged with pretty heavily and it showed, so I passed on it. It's sad that it was not take better care of because they are great guitars.

I just recently found a CS356 and jumped on it. So, now I'm waiting for mine.

Enjoy your ES359!!!! [smile]

I just recently found a CS356 and jumped on it.

They are awesome also. I didn't go that route as I already had a solid-wood hollow Maple body, Mahogany neck Hamer Newport Pro BE. I actually started looking for a 339. I came across the 359 in the process and it was priced just slightly better used.

Thanks

They are awesome also. I didn't go that route as I already had a solid-wood hollow Maple body, Mahogany neck Hamer Newport Pro BE. I actually started looking for a 339. I came across the 359 in the process and it was priced just slightly better used.

Thanks

How does the laminate sound compared to the routed wood bodies? Of course, pick ups are going to make an impact too. I'm assuming the laminate is going to sound a bit brighter?

My LP Classic Custom has the classic 57 pick ups as does the CS356 I'm getting, so a possible change in pick ups may be in order for either one if they sound too much alike.

Archived