Gibson Brands Forums

AJ Madagascar

Sitric

The Madagascar/Ad is considered a Luthier's Choice model.....

as is the Brazilian/Ad. Both have a wider neck, 1.75" nut,

bone saddle and nut, Waverly tuners, hide glue construction,

etc.... Soundwise, I believe Ren F. compared the Madagascar

as the closest thing to Brazilian he had found. The ones I

have played were all cannons!

The Indian Rosewood AJ has a slimmer neck, 1.725 nut.

Probably one of the better buys Gibson has....just not

quite the same as a Luthier's Choice.

If you are putting a pickup in it to play live, I wouldn't spend the extra dineros on Madagascar or Brazilian.

You can get a rosewood AJ for an excellent price as people tend not to keep them - I assume because they have so much presence they can be difficult to sing with for anyone with a quieter voice.

There is no question that the Madagascar adds a bit of colour to the tone of an AJ. It is a bit more resonant and perhaps slightly louder. The luthier's choice designation means the best of everything, and that can be a good situation too, but the overall difference between the Madagascar and Rosewood doesn't justify the price difference for me. You can buy a used AJ and a used J-200, let's say, for less than a new Madagascar AJ. Again, where you play with a pickup, one has to wonder if you would really get the value out of the more expensive tonewood.

I separate guitars into four main categories: Players for daily practice; Players for performance; Players for recording; Collectibles.

A Madagascar AJ fits the recording/collectible categories more comfortably than the previous two. It is a very hard wood and very dense, so it acclimates in new environments more slowly than rosewood and much more slowly than mahogany. If you take a guitar out of the house a lot, this type is the most vulnerable because the density causes it to expand and contract at a very different rate than the guitar's top. This is true of all guitars with hardwood backs and sides, obviously, but much more so with the Madagascar.

Ultimately, then, my advice is to match the instrument to your intended use and then decide if it is a good choice.

I own a 2006 Madagascar RW AJ '30s VOS that was made for Yamano, it's part of a special run that has a few different specs. Now I wanted an AJ for some time and tried a few Brazilian RW models, which were great, but very expensive for the nicer figured models. The Indian RW models seem to be at just about every Guitar Center Acoustic Room, and while they sound okay, I think Guitar Center does an injustice to these instruments by just sheer neglect. Usually the actions are way off, dead strings and been abused by the general public. I know Martin sends someone around monthly to GC to restring and adjust their brand guitars. I'd venture to say that many folks buy the IRW AJs from Guitar Center and get frustrated with the actions and return them

Anyway back to the Madagascar RW AJ; I like the larger neck, which has a more '30s feel, as well as some of the other features. It definitely has a different feel. It was a compromise between the IR and BZ models; I think it has a bit more omph amd definition than the IR model, and I was unable to detect any attribute that was different, other than pricetag on the Brazilian models. Madagascar RW in many instances looks identical to Brazilian RW, I'd venture to say it sounds the same, and I don't know anyone that can differentiate tone between the two.

The Amazon RW model also looks interesting, I'd certainly check that model out, if you're able to find one prior to making a selection, I think they're in the same price range as the Madagascar models. I know there are Koa models also, but I've lived on the Big Island for a number of years, and fancy Koa seems gentler on the ears than other wood.

Whatever you buy, I'd recommend going to a specialty dealer that will have the various models in stock, so you can try them out side by side. Keep in mind that many of these guitars that you initially may pass over can be improved upon with a little bit of tweaking like a neck/bridge adjustment or fret dressing, so weigh all your options.

Hello everyone .(new recruit reporting for duty from down under)

I have an AJ with the red spruce top and wide neck, but with EIR back & sides. I also have a standard AJ (sitka/EIR)

The contrast in tone between the two guitars is quite marked, and I wonder if the tonal differences with the

madagascar model has just as much to do with the red spuuce top.

Looking for people's opionions on the Madagascar/Ad AJ.

How does it compare to the IR/Sitca and indeed the Brazillian/Ad.

I know I'm in a small minority on this one, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by both the Madagascar AJs I've had a chance to play. To my ears, neither was anywhere near as good as most of the Braz AJs I've played. In fact, neither was as good as the best Indian AJs I've played. Or as good as most of the koa and maple AJs I've played.

At the time (this was a couple of years ago), I thought maybe I just didn't like Madagascar's tonal contribution. But since then, I've acquired a Mad(/Sitka, FWIW) guitar -- a Martin HJ-38 Stefan Grossman (my only good acoustic that's not a Gibson) -- that I really like a lot, so it's not that.

As always, "try before you buy" would be a good idea.

-- Bob R

Thanks for the replies folks, all appreciated.

To update you, I have gone for an AJ Mad/Ad, and it should be on it's way from USA to Ireland as we speak.

As the owner of a standard AJ I look forward to comparing the two, this will be my first time getting up close to Adirondack - although I must say I am very impressed with my AJ, and was especially surprised with how it recorded -

Ballcorner, I think your categories are accurate and very helpful, but as a songwriter I want all my guitars to have the potential to inspire!(Is that too much to ask?).

I will report back, and if I can get it together, with pictures.

A great 2009 to you all.

http://www.myspace.com/brendevereux

I own a BR/Adi AJ, have had it now for about two years. I find the tone a little darker than the standard AJ and as you would expect extremely strong. Beautiful mid and lower bass sounds. As I have state here before I still like to treble tone of the standard AJ but would not trade the BR version. It is so rich and complex. One word of advice, give that Adi top time to open up. That is one stiff wood so just play the heck out of it and it a year or two you will not be able to stop smilling.

I have preferred every Adi topped guitar I have played to the standard Sitka models. A friend of mine has a Custom Shop Adirondack top Dove, and the thing is just ridiculous. Such incredible tone! Apparently Adi can take up to 5 years of playing to fully open up, but my friend's Dove is just over a year old and sounds stunning. Is your nephew still enjoying that former J45 of mine? That is such a beauty. One of few guitars I regret parting with, but I know it went to a good home.

Hi Jinder - Yes my nephew still has the J45 and he loves it!

We'll be getting together tomorrow night for a few songs and to welcome in the new year, so I'll get a chance to play it again also.

www.brendandevereux.com

www.myspace.com/brendevereux

Those pictures certainly whet the appettite!

www.brendandevereux.com

Gibson AJ Sitka/IR

Gibson J185

Gibson A3 Whiteface Mandolin 1918

Lowden 010

Lowden 025

Lowden 032 Alpine

Derrick Nelson Custom

I can understand people wanting the traditional book matched back that is the same on both sides, and I can equally understand someone not wanting all that figured heartwood - but for me personally, a back like that is totally cool.

• 3 weeks later...

My AJ Mad/Ad Supreme came last week and I really do like it!

In comparison to my standard AJ it does sound that bit more sophisticated (please don't ask me to explain!).

Really like the ebony fingerboard and bridge - but what really intrigued me was the binding.

It's not plain as on my standard AJ, but is lined(although the surface itself is smooth).

There was I thinking "I've seen this someplace before" - I checked my other guitars, not there, and then it came to me - the binding on the AJ supreme is exactly the same as on my Whiteface A3 1918 mandolin! Nice touch eh?

This guitar is a keeper.

www.brendandevereux.com

I find the back really interesting and I like it. The 'burst' date=' on the other hand, is way too bright in the center. Too much contrast between dark and light. Tobacco 'bursts look much better IMHO. I was almost over AJ GAS, now, it begins anew!! Rats!!![/color']

Archived